The Apple HE store - Full prices and details in here. *prices correct as of 15/06/10*

Commissario
** Prices correct as of 15th June 2010 **

Apple-HE-store-prices-20100615-185457.png

network-he-2010-1-20100101-155757.png

mouse-he-2010-1-20100101-155933.png

Do I qualify for Higher Education (HE) Discount?
If you are at University, or other Higher Education establishment then you qualify for the HE discount.

I'm at college, do I get HE discount?
No. You qualify for the Further Education (FE) discount which isn't as much as HE.

I'm at school, what do I get?
You still get a discount but it's not as much as the FE or HE discounts.

I'm not at school, college or university, can I blag this discount somehow?
To do this would be committing a fraudulent act and we cannot condone that under any circumstances.

OK, I'm at University, how do I get my HE discount?
There are a couple of ways. You can either go to the Apple Student Discount page here and follow the links or you can call Apple on 0800 072 1154.
You can only use the University (HE) or College (FE) stores when connected via your campus network.

What warranty do I get when I buy with the HE discount?
Apples warranty is known as Applecare. When you buy through the online HE store you get three years of Applecare hardware support.

So what's that £50 option listed at the bottom of the order screen for me to add Applecare?
That allows you to extend your telephone support from one year to three years.

What are the stories I read recently that Applecare via the HE store has been reduced to one year?
There have been various rumours kicking around that this happened, this seems to have started on the Macrumors site here, but there is no evidence to support this. The "Apple Store for Education Individuals - Terms and Conditions" document which you can view by clicking here (be aware this may resize your browser window) specifically says:

10.1.1 All Apple-branded desktop and portable computer products sold after October 1st 2005 within the framework of the HE National Agreement shall be subject to a 36 calendar month warranty period (the “HE National Agreement Warranty”) commencing from the date of delivery.
This overrides any suggestions that the warranty is just one year.

Do I need the extra telephone support, won't I save about £50 by not having it?
If you don't select the "AppleCare Protection Plan (APP)" at the bottom of the order page then you will save yourself around £50. You will still have three years of hardware support, you just don't get the telephone technical support. Only you can answer whether you need it or not.

Does the HE discount apply to Snow Leopard, or just hardware?
There is no HE discount on Snow Leopard.

What's the HE discount on the iPad?
There is no educational discount on the iPad.

Additional questions and answers from the thread
Can you get the same level of discount if you go into an Apple Store with your university/NUS card?
Yes, providing you don't get an idiot dealing with you.

How much is the FE discount?
FE is 6% I think

Do you qualify for the HE discount if you've been accepted onto a course but are not yet there?
Yes, as long as you have proof that you will be a student there, e.g. UCAS acceptance form, or uni acceptance letter.

I'm about to start at the Open University. Do I qualify for this?
Yes. I used it when I was studying with the OU. Just call them up and tell them what you are studying to get the discount.

If I buy Applecare with my new Mac and I later sell my Mac, is the Applecare transferable to the new owner?
Yes. Applecare goes with the serial number. If you sell your Mac, the new owner is still covered.

So tell me again about HE and Applecare, some people are saying that purchases don't come with three years cover, is there any evidence to suggest otherwise?
They're wrong! See the link above which points to the terms and conditions and Kevin Duncan who is the Apple contract manager for the HE National Agreement has confirmed this in an email to one of our forum members:

Hi Tim,

Our AppleCare team have updated the warranty for your MacBook Pro 13" to reflect the correct 3 years cover.

Please note that this will take up to 48 hours to be reflected in Apple's systems.

You will be able to check the warranty coverage of your computer at the following URL:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin has also confirmed to another member that although you can buy kit from an Apple store with HE discount, that equipment is not covered by the HE agreement and therefore doesn't qualify for the free extended warranty.

Is there an Armed Forces discount?
This was asked at an Apple Store and they quoted 6% for Macbooks/iMacs and 8% for Macbook Pros and Mac Pros.

Soldato
I believe it's one desktop and one portable per year.

Found it

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/uk/Images/salespolicies_individual.html

- Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
- Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
- Notebook: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
- Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
- Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year
- Apple TV: There is no limit on the quantity of Apple TV purchases per academic year
- iPod: There is no limit on the quantity of iPod purchases per academic year

Interesting that the Mac mini isnt counting as a Desktop... so what is it then ;)

Associate
Does anyone know if you get the extended Apple Care with a FE purchase of a MacBook?

The daughter fancies one when so goes back to college, and getting the extended Apple Care (with the £50 extended phone support) for free would be a godsend.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not sure i agree with this, as it varies between universitys.

For instance Kings and Imperial rates are different.

Caporegime
Just to warn you but I didnt get the extra Applecare automatically - have emailed my invoice to the Applecare team and just spoken to someone who appears to think Im not valid for it. They will let me know in 24/36hrs...

Hopefully it sorts itself out but I really wish I had bought the extra telco support as my sister did and didnt have any issues with her Applecare automatically being activated.

Still seems to be this silly grey area - even though the T&Cs for this are in black and white...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
Just to warn you but I didnt get the extra Applecare automatically - have emailed my invoice to the Applecare team and just spoken to someone who appears to think Im not valid for it. They will let me know in 24/36hrs...

Hopefully it sorts itself out but I really wish I had bought the extra telco support as my sister did and didnt have any issues with her Applecare automatically being activated.

Still seems to be this silly grey area - even though the T&Cs for this are in black and white...

ps3ud0 :cool:

I had the same problem. After countless arguments I just gave up and the public relations guy said I could have telephone support for £47 as a "kind gesture" as they had debited my VISA twice by mistake for the MBP.

I paid £199 for the Apple Care pack and they refunded me the difference. My advice: Fork out the £47 upfront and keep your sanity.

Permabanned
Well, I just checked into apples website to look at their current prices myself, I tried to make a build comparative to my PC that included the 24" monitor:

Thats without HE discount though.

Back
Top Bottom