Apple to replace Intel and move to ARM - *** Confirmed as "Apple Silicon" ***

Soldato
In all honesty I would wait for the next generation.

There's no doubt that this is an impressive chip, but you just have to look at the history of apple products to understand why waiting for 2nd gen is a good idea.

Ipad -> Ipad 2
Iphone 2g -> iphone 3g
apple watch -> apple watch 2.

First gen to 2nd gen has the potential for a huge increase in performance since I would imagine this is the transition where a lot of "lessons learned" will be implemented, considering this is their first desktop implementation of ARM.

That's all true, and if people can wait then it's better to wait (and I'm waiting).

But if you NEED a new machine now, you have two choices (either Intel or M1), and in terms of speed and expected future support, the M1 is likely the better long-term choice for most people.

Soldato
My MBP (I think its an early 2013 model) is getting a little long in the tooth now and I'm really intrigued by these M1 chips. One thing that does irk me somewhat though it how completely out of place the bezels look at Apple laptops. The rest of the machines are right up there in terms of design, looks and quality but the almost edge-less displays on the 2020 XPS machines put the displays in the Macbooks and Airs to shame.

Do you think they'll revise designs anytime soon? Would be a dream upgrade then.

Soldato
My MBP (I think its an early 2013 model) is getting a little long in the tooth now and I'm really intrigued by these M1 chips. One thing that does irk me somewhat though it how completely out of place the bezels look at Apple laptops. The rest of the machines are right up there in terms of design, looks and quality but the almost edge-less displays on the 2020 XPS machines put the displays in the Macbooks and Airs to shame.

Do you think they'll revise designs anytime soon? Would be a dream upgrade then.

The word on the streets is that redesigns are coming in the next couple of years to the entire Mac lineup. Those edgeless XPS displays look so nice, I hope Macbooks get something similar.

Back
Top Bottom