Apple's January 27th Event

Associate
top.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/18/its-on-apple-holding-january-27th-event-to-show-off-its-lates/

Event starts at 18:00 GMT on 27th January

Live Coverage

gdgt
Ars Technica
Engadget

Last edited:
Soldato
I think different coloured iPhones is inevitable at some stage but the latest creation tag suggests something more substantial.

I'm slightly excited at the idea of a tablet although it doesn't really fit into my lifestyle. No doubt the world will wait with baited breath at that conference.

Until Steve's 'One More Thing...' turns out to be an Apple USB hub. :p

Associate
Well we just know there will be a iTablet/iSlate. This will be the main subject of the presentation.

Some new iPhone small refresh so bigger memory and maybe other stuff. Along with OS update now tablet is out.

iTunes will be updated and i would expect it to be 64 bit. iTunes will now sell ebooks, magazines, comics etc for the tablet and maybe even more stuff.

Mac Pro to receive new processors.

Not so sure about stuff

I would hope ATV gets a refresh with a new OS update, this is always a hazy subject as apple don't really care about ATV, the hardware is 3 years old and needs updating and there are plenty of things they can improve with the OS.
if iTunes supports 1080p movies i can see ATV being updated but until that server farm is built i cant see it happening.

iLife 2010 and iWork 2010? Creativity?

Soldato
ATV has to get a refresh tbh. I've only had mine a few months, and despite loving it to bits and having it hacked, it just lacks any real video processing power - yet the entire ATV concept is brilliant. The iTunes Video store being useless in terms of film availability doesn't really help either.

Associate
Oh no this has confirmed my worst fears :(

With all the rumors surrounding the tablet and what it could do, people have seemed to have overlooked what a tablet was actually made for - drawing and design straight on to the screen.

It now looks like Apple are going to introduce a goddamn portable Wacom Cintiq!
And with a large percentage of every digital artist using a mac it only makes sense. If it can have on board Photoshop its going to be amazing. Apple released a patent recently for using a stylus like object with iphone style product.

Of course this is now my own imagination running riot but the reason its fearful is because if it turns out to be something similar im groin kicking my credit card to the tune of £1000 :(

Ok nerding out over.

Commissario
It may be total coincidence but the estimated delivery date for my Mac Mini has changed to the 27th and when I put the serial number into one of the decoder sites it tells me that it's a 2.66GHz device when I only ordered the 2.53GHz version. I'm wondering if there's going to be a minor speed bump to the Mini along with whatever else happens.

Soldato
It may be total coincidence but the estimated delivery date for my Mac Mini has changed to the 27th and when I put the serial number into one of the decoder sites it tells me that it's a 2.66GHz device when I only ordered the 2.53GHz version. I'm wondering if there's going to be a minor speed bump to the Mini along with whatever else happens.

It would be cool if there was a speed bump. Been looking at a Mac Mini for ages. :)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

A tablet PC that could double as a Wacom-esque graphics tablet via tether would be epic.

Not only could you use it for many things but having it turn in to a dedicated peripheral for your main Mac could be epic.

Code:
Product	Mac mini
Recommendation:	Buy - Product recently updated
Last Release	October 20, 2009
Days Since Update	90 (Avg = 249)

I can't see it (the Mac Mini) being updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Well we just know there will be a iTablet/iSlate. This will be the main subject of the presentation.

Some new iPhone small refresh so bigger memory and maybe other stuff. Along with OS update now tablet is out.

iTunes will be updated and i would expect it to be 64 bit. iTunes will now sell ebooks, magazines, comics etc for the tablet and maybe even more stuff.

Mac Pro to receive new processors.

Not so sure about stuff

I would hope ATV gets a refresh with a new OS update, this is always a hazy subject as apple don't really care about ATV, the hardware is 3 years old and needs updating and there are plenty of things they can improve with the OS.
if iTunes supports 1080p movies i can see ATV being updated but until that server farm is built i cant see it happening.

iLife 2010 and iWork 2010? Creativity?

Couldn't have said it better myself :). Although I'll be surprised if the iPhone hardware is updated, seems a bit early.

Soldato
As someone with a MacBook Pro and an iPhone, the jury is still out for me as to how a tablet computer could fit in.

However I'm keeping an open mind, I'll be watching with great interest on the 27th.

Soldato
As someone with a MacBook Pro and an iPhone, the jury is still out for me as to how a tablet computer could fit in.

However I'm keeping an open mind, I'll be watching with great interest on the 27th.

Same here. I can't really see the need for a tablet for me personally. Still looking forward to the event though. I like shiny apple things!

Caporegime
Oh no this has confirmed my worst fears :(

With all the rumors surrounding the tablet and what it could do, people have seemed to have overlooked what a tablet was actually made for - drawing and design straight on to the screen.

It now looks like Apple are going to introduce a goddamn portable Wacom Cintiq!
And with a large percentage of every digital artist using a mac it only makes sense. If it can have on board Photoshop its going to be amazing. Apple released a patent recently for using a stylus like object with iphone style product.

Of course this is now my own imagination running riot but the reason its fearful is because if it turns out to be something similar im groin kicking my credit card to the tune of £1000 :(

Ok nerding out over.

TBH it looks like it will (if the tablet exists at all) just be an overblown iPod Touch. I'd love for a proper Slate style PC with proper OS that could run CS4 and be used as a graphics tablet to be released though.

If it is designed as a a waicom type device then it won't be capacitive either way (no where near enough accuracy or pressure sensitivity).

Associate
I'm thinking a tablet, but marketed like the Wacom Cintiq (But with a 'puter inside it!). Designed for graphic artists and stuff for drawing and the like, but with media player capabilities.

Also apps for the device available on the App Store.

Caporegime
I'm due exam results tomorrow. If I pass I'll be getting a bonus and buying an Imac and an iphone. If they bump the memory on the iphone, hopefully that'll drop the price on the 32GB 3GS model that I've got my eye on, which would certainly help!

Man of Honour
TBH it looks like it will (if the tablet exists at all) just be an overblown iPod Touch. I'd love for a proper Slate style PC with proper OS that could run CS4 and be used as a graphics tablet to be released though.

If it is designed as a a waicom type device then it won't be capacitive either way (no where near enough accuracy or pressure sensitivity).

Both nTrig and Wcom made screens that support both mutitouch and also a stylus. The HP TX2 uses the nTrig version and the soon-to-be-released HP TM2 uses the Wacom variant.

Back
Top Bottom