ArcheAge, Ultima Online's rebirth?

Caporegime
Well Archeage is a really good game at design level but I'm stopping playing now. The amount of hacking that is visibly going on and goldselling etc is just annoying. Add into that there is now a regrade+upgrade hack and you wonder what the point is in a PVP orientated game. It's shame as the freedom allowed and some of the design choices are just excellent and I've not enjoyed a MMO such as this in a long time but Trion - I certainly won't be playing one of their games again but I do give a lot of credit to XL Games.

I don't understand why MMO after MMO has problems with hacking.

Surely you design these games around the principle that the client is compromised? Ie you cannot trust the client, so all transactions must be validated and performed on the server?

That goes for little things like your position, whether you can see something, if you own something, etc, etc.

Soldato
I suspect a problem is when they used ready made engines they have to rework the netcode and then with the problem of latency reduction they just shove positions to the client. But I totally agree. The less the client is told the better.

Soldato
This game was a huge clanger for them, this was prob the best shot in long time of stealing the infamous wow subs, a lot od us fell in love within a few weeks but the cracks started to show...nothing that could not be fixed but the devs just didt listen to paying subs RIP

Associate
Just hopped back on this game - they merged servers so my Ezi server is now gone, but they have quite a few merged ones, and some new ones. Been fun to have people in game again. I quit last December, and just recently came back with my nephew...enjoying it so far.

Sorry for necro thread.

Soldato
I started again today but gave up, I had intentions of playing it for a couple of months before they added the p2w back in the game which they said they would do.

That said I think I'm done with MMO's, burnt out. I just can't get any enthusiasm to play.

Shame though as the alpha of this was immense and I was in a very high level guild back then.

In a nutshell a very good mmo until they add p2w but I've lost my appetite.

Soldato
I heard the game was P2W but thought the idea of the new server was to stop that aspect, guess it's not worth playing if they are going to change the rules later on :(

Soldato
I heard the game was P2W but thought the idea of the new server was to stop that aspect, guess it's not worth playing if they are going to change the rules later on :(

It is the most p2w game I think I have played on the original servers. To be anywhere near the top you need to spend thousands and I mean thousands. It basically means you pretty much 1 shot people.

The new servers only allow new accounts so you cant transfer stuff over from other servers to have a headstart. They have removed most the p2w out of the store but they said they will add it all back in within a few months.

Its basically a cheap ploy to get people playing again and hope they stick around and spend money when they add everything back. Also you pretty much need to play with a sub at £10 a month otherwise its a pain in the arse.

Honestly if they ditched the store and made it purely sub based it would be extremely popular as the game is great, when it was in alpha it was superb as it had no p2w, it is still to this day the biggest disappointment for me as it showed immense promise and then it was released.

If you're happy to play for a couple of months give it a go but if you're after something long term i'd look elsewhere.

I'm so desperate for an MMO to really get into and there just isn't one I want to spend time with, Revelation Online is my latest disappointment as thought it was awful. Maybe it is just me.

Last edited:
Soldato
It certainly is a cheap trick re-launching the game then re-introducing the P2W :mad: .. I played it for a few months on release but lost interest.

Revelations starts off slow and methodical but I found once I hit the later levels it got pretty good. The next beta 20th Dec has full English translation for everything upto level 49 which should help.

I'm going to give it a go on release and just see what happens, I need a proper MMo PvP experience now Aion is dead!

Soldato
It certainly is a cheap trick re-launching the game then re-introducing the P2W :mad: .. I played it for a few months on release but lost interest.

Revelations starts off slow and methodical but I found once I hit the later levels it got pretty good. The next beta 20th Dec has full English translation for everything upto level 49 which should help.

I'm going to give it a go on release and just see what happens, I need a proper MMo PvP experience now Aion is dead!

Same here regarding MMO PvP. I have spent far too much money on early access packs then ditched the game within a couple of weeks.

BDO I had high expectations but simply couldn't keep up with the grind to gain those extra levels and the rng was horrid. Plus the lack of actual group content was annoying.

BnS I just didn't like and quit within a week.

ESO is a good single player game but the PvP is a bit lacking unless you want pure zerg.

GW2 I spent over 1k hours in and cant be bothered go back.

Albion Online I have but not played it in ages due to the resets, i'll play it on release but don't expect to hang around much.

My hopes solely lie on Crowfall and Camelot Unchained but they're ages away. Maybe see what Dark n Light turns out like plus Bless if it ever releases.

Associate
Waiting for Camelot Unchained here too. Hoping it's really good pvpwise. I have nothing to entertain me at the moment for pvp :(.

I have had my hopes up before about other games being good for pvp, then they turn out to be lacklustre.

Back
Top Bottom