Arctic Freezer III now available.....

Point taken regarding your cooler choices, with respects to your case.
I can only imagine at some point either Intel will need to change with what they offer for consumer CPU's or I'll jump ship to AMD. That is a future consideration but to see, in some, not typical, situations that it is possible to push even a 420mm AIO to working hard to cool and unlimited 14700k is somewhat ridiculous.
Apart from the issues you have noted with the linked keyboard, it seems very impressive. A pity that those problems are not being addressed.
Your shopping list................................ I see they do a 4000D RGB variant, if that works for you. I did try a 5000D case, Corsairs build quality is amazing, the thickness of the gauge of steel and the finishing touches are good. You should be happy with that. At least the numbers of 3.5" drives aren't a concern anymore.

Does anyone remember when Gigabyte made their Fisher Price range of motherboards....

2000.jpg

....they were the prototype of what RGB has become.

For now I have changed from static blue to green. Begrudgingly, I will admit to say it's "ok", damn I'm trying hard to not actually like it, lol.

The DFI LanParty boards had a bit of colour to them too

That has to be shown, lol.........

mobo-l.jpg

I remember, not that particular model, having a DFI Lanparty motherboard (socket 939...?) and I buggered up a BIOS flash. I had to remove the socketed BIOS chip, send it off to be re-flashed and then hot-plug it back into the motherboard to be used, or something like that.

@chaparral - are you using both the 360 and the 420..? You only note that you are building one Z790 system..?

Using a 360 AIO as an example....

this being the rev II

Spec-Sheet-Liquid-Freezer-II-360-EN-update-pdf.png

The rev III...........

Spec-Sheet-Liquid-Freezer-III-360-Black-EN-pdf.png

I can see the fan curves being different. But I wonder why the pup readout, the RPM you see, is way higher than the actual pump RPM..?

@chaparral it looks good. Apart from undervolting did you also try limiting the power draw to the Intel specs? My 14700k is limited to 253w. That and the undervolt makes a difference.
Then again it was only benchmarks or stress testing that would be a concern, not typical use.
Not sure how different that would be with a 14900k.?

@chaparral Both of my power limits, Gigabyte BIOS, were set to unlimited also. My 14700k is around -0.07v or so undervolted. I tried to not get too hung up about hitting the higher temps, providing the noted settings were made, and the fitting of the 420mm AIO was done ok. The higher temps were only noted in CB R23 etc.
Point taken on lowering the power limits, assuming the 14900k is still boosting as it should, meaning limitations will be applied depending on cores used etc.....
Both limiting the power draw, well not really limiting but setting it to the max that Intel state, and undervolting and, like you noted with temps when gaming, it seems fine for me when using the CPU as I need to.

Not typical for all games, butt the one I'm playing most seems to be around.......

usage.png

so not much in the way of heat generated when playing games, at least that one.

Last edited:
Are you happy enough with the way the pipes are positioned, up against the GPU..? I would have tried pipes at the top, if that fits..? But then again I very much prefer the 420mm I fitted in the roof, I just assumed you did not have room for it there.
Perhaps I'm wrong here, and only have a vague recollection, but isn't the optimal placing for these is to be top mounted, not just for the water / air levels but also they seem to run cooler up top than front mounted..?

I saw a couple of vids online to say that as long as the top of the radiator, if front mounted, is higher than the pump it does not matter if pipes are at the bottom or the top. The header tank, as it would be if front mounted, would collect the air that builds up and not the pump. At least that was noted, altho I would have thought pipes down was the thing to do.

This was one of them...

Yeah, so annoying for you that they did not anticipate making such a small change to increase flexibility..! Dremel is your friend, lol.

Have fun if you do this :D
The wires on the stock fans are really short and it took me ages to get the fans postioned pertectly right so all the wires would connect together

When I first fitted mine, not having an ARGB type before, I must have slightly snagged a plug towards the corner of the radiator when fitting. I snagged it just enough for it to become disconnected, not to stop the fans from working but to stop the fans from displaying their lights. Took me a while to figure that one out. Of course I needed to remove the radiator again.....and plug the connector back together. Huh, lol.

What sort of fan curves everyone running using the single cable here.
I did try the Smartfan control in the BIOS, that was ok. But I preferred software...

Link to my post showing the software.

My curves for all remain kinda flat and that covers most temps, based on the CPU, averages over 10 seconds, up to around 60c. Then they scale up, well the radiator fans do.

Last edited:
Make sure that the case you are buying will fit the AIO you wish to buy. The radiator and fans add to its size. You can check the spec of the selected AIO at Arctic website.
Perhaps ring the shop to ask if they could tell you if that AIO would fit, and where it would fit. And do a search online to check for that case against the AIO you wish to buy.

Last edited:
Good point about the VRM's, also, because I have such a huge case, I don't think about the two (sometimes) additional power plugs that you need to attach to the motherboard. I have read that some struggle with those. Struggle in the way of needing to attach them first but then find the radiator / fan combo is pressed up tight against them. I have even seen it noted that some needed to look for cables with 90 degree fittings.......we know how that goes, albeit for Nvidia with a ton more power used.

Back
Top Bottom