Are all the claims for a 5.1 jailbreak rubbish

Check at Jailbrea.kr whenever you're unsure about jailbreaks being released.

There is currently no jailbreak available for 5.1 for A5 devices. For anything else, there is a tethered jailbreak available (Check the link). Tethered means that you need to jailbreak your phone every time you restart it.

Nice link Marky.

Ethan, it sounds like you have an iPhone 4 so that doesn't use the A5 chip and hence you should be able to upgrade to iOS 5.1 (tethered).

I wouldn't bother until you can run it untethered, unless there's a particular feature in 5.1 that you really want.

Have you tried iOS 5.0 yet? I've just ventured into the world of jailbreak and have the iPhone 4 and if you need help to jailbreak to iOS 5.0 then just give the word.

Nice link Marky.

Ethan, it sounds like you have an iPhone 4 so that doesn't use the A5 chip and hence you should be able to upgrade to iOS 5.1 (tethered).

I wouldn't bother until you can run it untethered, unless there's a particular feature in 5.1 that you really want.

Have you tried iOS 5.0 yet? I've just ventured into the world of jailbreak and have the iPhone 4 and if you need help to jailbreak to iOS 5.0 then just give the word.

Unfortunately I'm running 5.1 so I will have to wait a month or two for an untethered jailbreak. Thanks anyway.

Thought you couldn't downgrade anymore because Apple changed something.

I'm trying to downgrade my iPad 1 from 5.1 to 5.0.1 right now.

I'll let you know if I pull it off.

I'm signing the IPSW file using iFaith, but iTunes seems to be throwing up 16-4 errors when trying to restore the file. :(

If that fails, I guess I'll have to go with a tethered or semi tethered jailbreak.

EDIT: Done, now running 5.0.1 again, it was a little fiddly doing it on a Mac but you can run iFaith an a XP VM ;)

Last edited:
How long did it take for the Jailbreak on the iphone 4 and older devices and the ipad 1 and 2 to be done? Seems like this one there is nothing on the horizon.

Iconic and Musclenerd are tightliped, Dino obviously can only release news as and when it comes through. I miss SB Settings and tweaking my OS!

pod2g stated he had gotten an exploit working but had to bypass ASLR at boot still, still be quite a while I reckon

He's already bypassed ASLR and apparently this weekend he managed to find 2 big vulnerabilities, 1 Kernal Land and 1 Root Land - Which is good. Right? :p

Keep up to date with his progress on Twitter

Would it suprise you if the other DevS had been paid off by apple? Just seems very odd that they all had it jailbroken like within the 1st day and 2 months on its still not released...

Hopefully pod2g will force them to either release theirs or they will just go into obscurity never to be heard again :(

Who knows maybe this will bring the next gen of hackers through as well.

Would it suprise you if the other DevS had been paid off by apple? Just seems very odd that they all had it jailbroken like within the 1st day and 2 months on its still not released...

Hopefully pod2g will force them to either release theirs or they will just go into obscurity never to be heard again :(

Who knows maybe this will bring the next gen of hackers through as well.

Hmm I don't know... maybe Apple have just made their iOS more secure, therefore less vulnerabilities.

If I was pod2g, I would setup a Kickstarter campaign. I'm sure people would be willing to put money towards a jailbreak. Therefore, he could fix more time towards the project.

Hmm I don't know... maybe Apple have just made their iOS more secure, therefore less vulnerabilities.

If I was pod2g, I would setup a Kickstarter campaign. I'm sure people would be willing to put money towards a jailbreak. Therefore, he could fix more time towards the project.
The thing with kickstarter is that you need to hot your target otherwise you don't get any cash at all.

I'm pretty sure he accepts donations, and I'm sure if he gets a decent amount then he'll feel happier to spend more time on a 5.1 Jailbreak. :)

Back
Top Bottom