Are ceiling fans any good?

Soldato
So, I'm currently taking quotes for a split air con unit in the living room and master bedroom. However I'm thinking of putting ceiling fans in the kids bedrooms to help with the heat, but are they any better than your typical free standing fan in the corner of your room etc?

Could I get some recommendations for ceiling fans with lights, if they're any good?

Soldato
They ‘work’ because the air at the floor will be cooler than the air at the ceiling and the fan mixes it all up and lowers the temperature in the upper part of the room. Normal fans don’t tend to have this mixing effect.

They are also very ugly but that’s a personal preference.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes they work, it feels colder but it actually is not. Move a lot more air at slower speeds than a free standing fan which is typically relatively small compared to a ceiling fan.

Soldato
They work really well in my Spanish place... I think the trick is not to buy bargain basement jobbies, so you'll get efficiency, good design for moving air and low noise (you can't hear the motors on mine.. Only the noise of the air which is still quiet unless at full speed as the blades are do much bigger).

I have aircon too but it uses a ruinous amount of electricity.

The fans work really well in all but the hottest of weather....And you can get smart looking ones... I have these.. About €130 each I think they were, but they are about €170 now.

Quiet and make the whole room 'windy' at full speed.
Very effective although they are larger ones at 1.3meters wide I think.

Mine are a brand called lindby.. You can get all sorts of designs to suit your decor.

Loads better than free standing fans.. Powerful, very quiet and of course don't take up any floor /desk space.

Last edited:
Soldato
They certainly work, we have one in most of the rooms and modern ones look ok tbh. We're just hitting the time of year where we start to run our bedroom one all night and its more than enough for most of the year with only a few nights a year when its not enough. I think last year when those highest temperatures hit was the first time when we needed more and what we would do is cool the room down with a portable air con unit and then turn that off and run the fan all night.

Obviously split air con is the best but ceiling fans are streets ahead of normal pedestal ones.

Soldato
They are quite effective, got one in the bedroom for when it's not quite AC weather as the one in the living room worked well.
Bought a Westinghouse branded one from Amazon which has a light.

Last edited:
Soldato
Being down South (the tropics) we have one in the bedroom that pushes enough air around to ensure my OH doesn't suffer from the heat during the night and it works really well.

The one in the living room has been up since 2000 and also works really well.

Soldato
I used to have a 4 blade, small, spins like crazy for a good air flow.
Bought a 5 bladed, massive, slow spin, quiet and lots of air flow.
Lovely.
If it's ugly, I don't care, my eyes are shut lol

Associate
have them in every room ( except bathroom and kitchen ) and they are a godsend maybe poor mans air con but at least im not melting away and at reasonable cost.
daughter has them in most of her rooms as well ( ahem guess who had to fit them :))

Last edited:
Soldato
I used to have a 4 blade, small, spins like crazy for a good air flow.
Bought a 5 bladed, massive, slow spin, quiet and lots of air flow.
Lovely.
If it's ugly, I don't care, my eyes are shut lol

Yeah, get one with 5 blades, that seems to be the sweet spot...and the longer the better, depending on the room size, I have 2 in the front room, so I can whip up quite a a tornado if I want :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
We just picked up a Meaco Sefte Pedestal air circulator fan from Costco for £140 and the thing is seriously impressive.

Really quiet relative to its airflow, and has both a horizontal and vertical movement pattern to really get air moving around the room.

Back
Top Bottom