Are extensions cost effective.

Associate
Is that just for a straight up whole 4.7x4.5 room or will it be split into further rooms?

That's a whole room, no division of walls. It includes dot and dabbing, 2 x velux windows, a large double panel radiator, a window, moving my French doors and removing the kitchen window. 3 double sockets, no flooring or decorating. Rendered external finish, but again, not painted.

Soldato
That's not really true. It will be perfectly legal to live in the space however you can't "officially" class it as a bedroom/study/whatever. I.e. if you had a 3 bedroom house normally plus the loft room which was currently being used as a bedroom you couldnt market it as a 4 bedroom house. Its just a 3 bedroom plus loft area.
Which is exactly what I said it's not legal living space you can use it anyway you like but can't sell it as such and it could potentially cause issues with insurance or land you in prison if someone burnt to death in it!

Associate
We're currently thinking about extending our home. We always intended on having a 3x7m single-story extension down the side, split into two rooms - a study and living space with pitched roof. However, weve also been playing with the idea of going two-story and adding an extra bedroom with on-suite upstairs as well. Access to upsairs would be via the existing staircase - no extra staircase required.

How have people found a good architect in their area? And does anyone have a rough idea of the difference in cost between a single-story and two-story build?

Associate
We're currently thinking about extending our home. We always intended on having a 3x7m single-story extension down the side, split into two rooms - a study and living space with pitched roof. However, weve also been playing with the idea of going two-story and adding an extra bedroom with on-suite upstairs as well. Access to upsairs would be via the existing staircase - no extra staircase required.

How have people found a good architect in their area? And does anyone have a rough idea of the difference in cost between a single-story and two-story build?

My architect has been brilliant, still answering questions after he's had his full payment and no obligation to do so. Obviously, as with anything you get good and bad people.

The two storey if left as just rooms below and above (no fixtures, fittings or bathroom) would be 50% of the single storey on top of the price. That is what I was told about ours when we enquired.

Bathrooms are expensive business and I would expect this to add a fair bit on top, you've got drainage, water pipes etc to worry about which bumps the price up.

Caporegime
Well our planning application went public and we're waiting to see if any of the neighbours object. Can't really see why they would but you never know. I think the only house that might is the house opposite due to their site line being changed but apart from that should hopefully be ok. Still, you never know do you.

Soldato
Well our planning application went public and we're waiting to see if any of the neighbours object. Can't really see why they would but you never know. I think the only house that might is the house opposite due to their site line being changed but apart from that should hopefully be ok. Still, you never know do you.
You are bound to get at least one, don't take it personally and remember just because someone complains doesn't mean it won't get approved the complaint needed to be valid and substantial. I complained about a neighbours application which was rejected because as I pointed out it broke about 6 local authority planning regs! A house was however built at the other end of the street despited loads of. I'm plaint s because they were all irrational rants!

Caporegime
Oh I'm sure there will be some that we hadn't thought of. One of our neighbours already thought it was odd that we're planning a two storey extension instead of one.

Associate
@platypus, How is your extension going? I'm in Cambridge and will do an extension soon as well, if you had recommendations for builders or advice that would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Soldato
Watching one of those home type TV shows recently and they were talking about extensions and how it affects the value of a house and suggested on it that for every £1 you spend on the work you can expect to add about 80p to the value of the property (assuming it is valued sensibly for the area before the works).

Associate
Just about to start one and after several quotes between £140k-£180k we have settled on the builder that impressed us the most and happens to be at the cheaper end of the scale! We really were expecting it to be cheaper and the budget just keep going up so we decided to get the loft done at the same time and just be done with it all until we move.

We were fortunate to have bought 4 years ago when the area was rock bottom. Paid £235k and currently similar places selling for £360k+ so we are happy to spend enough to end up at current value but had prices not gone up there is no way we would spend as much.

Caporegime
@platypus, How is your extension going? I'm in Cambridge and will do an extension soon as well, if you had recommendations for builders or advice that would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
When we find a builder, I'll let you know. Most are time wasters who clearly don't want the work (they don't need it so quote stupidly high prices), and some won't even give you a quote.

I would strongly recommend that you get planning permission and structural drawings done first, otherwise most builders won't reply to you.

Just be prepared to wait. It's a long process, and any builder that you do eventually get won't be able to start within 6-9 months.

Associate
thanks, yes I already called up builders a few years ago for a 2 storey extension and only got 1 rough quote, I get they don't want to quote without drawings but why not show us similar extensions they did and how much they cost. I've learnt my lesson and this time I'll just get the drawings done first.
I shouldn't need planning permission as I will only do single storey within the allowed size (6m long for semi detached).
Thanks for the advice.

Associate
Just got this from one of the architects I contacted:
"owners considering building work in the Cambridge area should budget for around £2.500-£3,000 per m2 + VAT"
So much for the £1000 per m2 often quoted online.
I don't know if this is like this everywhere but I am more and more getting the impression builders are taking the mickey in Cambridge.

Soldato
I can fully believe those prices, we rarely get anything back at 2k per m2 on extensions for the last 6 months or so (although they are mostly in Scotland where the building regs are now a lot tighter on insulation for extensions) and this is a traditionally cheap area for construction.
The reality is that 1k a square meter hasn't been achievable for years, and even then it was only really guidance for new build stuff on flat sites and minimal spec

Soldato
The extension I've just completed has been cost effective. We knocked down the existing garage and study, rebuilt it to open up the study and make a kitchen/dining area; took up all but 2m of garage which is now a storage and used the rest for a downstairs toilet and utility room. Upstairs we've built a pretty big bathroom and double bedroom with a built in wardrobe. I think it's around 32m2 in total. We paid £415k for the house in Feb 2016 and once completely finished we're hoping the value will be around the £550k mark.

Associate
It is true that the curves and corners are costly to build, so the first step in reducing your home extension cost is to keep the extension design as simple as possible. I don’t think you really can get a ‘Big home’ with a low budget. May be you can buy a large lot with a friend or family member ( preferably someone you don't mind having as a neighbor) that can be split into two smaller lots.
Some of the most appealing properties may be much larger than what you want or can afford, yet the seller may not be willing to break up a large parcel. So if you can share the cost with someone else, you may be able to pick up a great building site for a reasonable price. Also, you could choose low-maintenance building materials like vinyl or cementitious siding and metal roofing which may seem expensive at the time of installation but will pay for themselves in the long run.
Splurge only on those things that are extremely important. However, don't skimp on doors and windows as they are significant in keeping your home safe and secured. Buy the best you can afford in this area. One important point to keep in mind is that- Don't overbuild for the neighborhood. A home that is bigger and better than any others in its area will not command a fair price at resale. The assessment will be colored by the lower-priced homes around it.
A cost effective way to add more space to your home is cantilever bay. You can read more about this here http://www.waldenhomes.ca/mini-addition.
Most extension work will attract VAT at 20 per cent on labor and materials, but if you use self-employed tradespeople who each turnover less than the threshold for VAT registration, you will not be charged this tax — saving on labor costs. Second-hand materials sold by private individuals on the internet will also be free of VAT.

Soldato
I'm about to have my loft converted, 2 rooms and 1 bathroom. I've worked out from the plans it will add 35sqm in useable space (including the small bathroom) and we are paying £39k. Seems quite reasonable compared to some of the quotes in this thread. This guy has done pretty much all of the loft conversions on the estate where I live and it involves some pretty hefty steels being inserted as well.

Soldato
I'm about to have my loft converted, 2 rooms and 1 bathroom. I've worked out from the plans it will add 35sqm in useable space (including the small bathroom) and we are paying £39k. Seems quite reasonable compared to some of the quotes in this thread. This guy has done pretty much all of the loft conversions on the estate where I live and it involves some pretty hefty steels being inserted as well.

Thats very reasonable if it includes adding a stair case etc, I'm guessing given his experience he knows it's an easier job than some as otherwise assuming that includes everything ie bathroom fittings and electrics it is very good price.

Back
Top Bottom