Are students upset by everything?

Soldato
Honestly? A comedian who was booked to perform at School of African and Oriental Studies (SOAS) pulled out after he was told he would have to sign a behavioural agreement with regards to his performance.

It was organised by students union UNICEF, who said he would have to sign the agreement in order to perform. They have apologised but the agreement had me in stitches. I know we're not allowed to say the S word any more, but it looks like its been written by the worlds biggest one.

2brPe4Al.jpg

Are there any ism's or phobia's left? They appear to have covered just about every single one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46541002
What can they do if you sign it and then break the contract though? they cant boo you because that would be offensive

Caporegime
In most cases being well educated these days is generally getting up to your eyeballs in debt, receiving a worthless degree in something like gender studies and having learned to be offended by absolutely everything no matter how innocent.

Man of Honour
Most students are angry idealists who think they have all the answers and know better than everyone else and 1 or 2 do and they will become the future innovators, but 99% don't and will just become one of the rest. It's been like that for as long as I can remember. My generation were just the same in the 70's and 80's as were my dads generation and probably his dads too and I know every generation since has been the same. It is part of growing up, getting out from school and into the world. It starts earlier these days perhaps, but nothing new really though this generation has taken it to a new level of angst because they now have a voice we never had, this one we are all on right now.

The vast majority grow up in the end, some in their 20's, some in their 30's some even into their 40's but eventually life catches up with most and they realise that those idealistic minds are only good if everyone thinks the same, lives the same and does that same, but they don't and they never ever will. This forum shows that, but still they go on thinking that they will make a difference. All power to them too, society needs to be challenged but fact is for over 100 years most have grown up to realise they were naive.

Be nice if one day the world really did change to a a world of love, but money and ambitions that vary simply won't ever allow that. Peace, one love is such nice ambition, I was born because of it, or maybe into the run in to it (Summer of love me) but life is rarely perfect or fair. Those who don't believe that are still on the journey, they rarely know better, they just think they do with the passion of youth and good on em. It is likely that one or two of the younger members of this forum will be names we all get to know for great and good things...one or two for the other. Tis life.

Soldato
Most students are angry idealists who think they have all the answers and know better than everyone else and 1 or 2 do and they will become the future innovators, but 99% don't and will just become one of the rest. It's been like that for as long as I can remember. My generation were just the same in the 70's and 80's as were my dads generation and probably his dads too and I know every generation since has been the same. It is part of growing up, getting out from school and into the world. It starts earlier these days perhaps, but nothing new really though this generation has taken it to a new level of angst because they now have a voice we never had, this one we are all on right now.

The vast majority grow up in the end, some in their 20's, some in their 30's some even into their 40's but eventually life catches up with most and they realise that those idealistic minds are only good if everyone thinks the same, lives the same and does that same, but they don't and they never ever will. This forum shows that, but still they go on thinking that they will make a difference. All power to them too, society needs to be challenged but fact is for over 100 years most have grown up to realise they were naive.

Be nice if one day the world really did change to a a world of love, but money and ambitions that vary simply won't ever allow that. Peace, one love is such nice ambition, I was born because of it, or maybe into the run in to it (Summer of love me) but life is rarely perfect or fair. Those who don't believe that are still on the journey, they rarely know better, they just think they do with the passion of youth and good on em. It is likely that one or two of the younger members of this forum will be names we all get to know for great and good things...one or two for the other. Tis life.

Good sensible post and spot on.

What makes me chuckle the most are the plethora of "The youth of today are the downfall of society" threads started by people who are a generation or two younger than myself!

It's been the same throughout history and will continue to be the same when this lot grow up and their children rail against societal "norms"

Man of Honour
As old people we all moan because we know we are right on this point. They will have that nativity and belief that they have it nailed, know better and are more informed knocked out of them because that is life. There is a reason that for centuries old people have moaned at young people and the young at the old. Think about it, the old have been young, the young are yet to be old but when you do you’ll join the moaning at the nativity of the young.

It’s called life and we all said the very same things too, not least the youth classic.....”it’s different today than when you were young”. :D

Soldato
I don’t think all students are easily offended and fragile, but it definitely seems like the ones that are also turn out to be the very vocal ones that want to be involved with running things.

All the normal ones are just our drinking and getting STDs, or trying to get an education.

I don’t personally see a lot of this sort of stuff at all in my actual day to day life, I only read about it online, and I really hope that it doesn’t seep into our lives before it fizzles out, because these articles are painful to read sometimes. Seeing them try to crucify some poor bugger for no reason is very frustrating.

Man of Honour
I don’t think all students are easily offended and fragile, but it definitely seems like the ones that are also turn out to be the very vocal ones that want to be involved with running things.

All the normal ones are just our drinking and getting STDs, or trying to get an education.

I don’t personally see a lot of this sort of stuff at all in my actual day to day life, I only read about it online, and I really hope that it doesn’t seep into our lives before it fizzles out, because these articles are painful to read sometimes. Seeing them try to crucify some poor bugger for no reason is very frustrating.
There is an elevation in butt hurt due to the whole social media ‘me too’ world we life in, but there have always been sections of society who are offended that you are not offended. Our modern mediums just means they have a louder voice and wider reach....and are really easy to use and manipulate..

Soldato
Yeah it is a farce, a former SNL writer Nimesh Patel got kicked off stage by students at Columbia University in the US at an event for Asian American students:

https://www.columbiaspectator.com/n...standup-routine-for-jokes-deemed-offensive-2/

That is the thing that bugs me about SJWs, they're just not thinking a lot of the time and being triggered by certain words/topics etc.. Patel is a pretty liberal guy, the joke he has told is coming from a fairly liberal perspective and is anti the conservative stance that being gay is just some lifestyle choice etc.. ostensibly he's telling a joke that is both amusing and on point in acknowledging that being both black and gay can lead to discrimination and that being gay isn't a choice. But people don't want to think anymore, just the mere fact he made a joke involving that subject is enough for some identity politics/SJW types to get triggered and remove him from the stage.

These guys need a good dose of Frankie Boyle.

Soldato
Honestly? A comedian who was booked to perform at School of African and Oriental Studies (SOAS) pulled out after he was told he would have to sign a behavioural agreement with regards to his performance.

It was organised by students union UNICEF, who said he would have to sign the agreement in order to perform. They have apologised but the agreement had me in stitches. I know we're not allowed to say the S word any more, but it looks like its been written by the worlds biggest one.

2brPe4Al.jpg

Are there any ism's or phobia's left? They appear to have covered just about every single one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46541002

Not to say that student bodies aren't over-sensitive and over-politicised in general because I think they are. But SOAS is a special case even amongst UK universities. They're essentially a factory that stamps out degrees in cultural indoctrination. As an employer, I would actively regard a degree from SOAS as a red-flag. Seriously.

Back
Top Bottom