• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Are the GTX 970's & 980's already the best GPU's ever made?

Soldato
Historically it has taken newer (smaller) fabrication processes and/or increased transistor counts to make a new graphics card leap ahead of the opposition. This time NVIDIA have managed to increase performance and efficiency whilst cutting the number of transistors on an old fab process. Prices (for the 970) are also admirably low.

I wonder, does this make the 970/980 Maxwell's the best enthusiasts GPU's ever made?

Soldato
Plus points especially for the 970 are purchase price, performance and overclocking and then the actual running costs and heat it throws out. Anything from this point on needs to use less juice and yet gain in performance over previous generation.

Associate
No.

The price isn't low. Think back to when the 8800 GT was released, it was ~£150

Now that was a good card for the price considering it was almost as fast as the 8800 GTX for less than half the price.

Soldato
If your definition of the best gpu is one that's arguably no quicker than products released over a year ago, but are accompanied by an inexplicable amount of hype, then yes these are definitely up there with the best.

Soldato
[Damien];27052152 said:
Or the 9800 Pro :)

Or the x800xt pe for those who could find one. Just one of a number of cards in the history of gaming that have been genuinely twice as fast as the best of the preceding generation.

That or a cynical money maker like the 970 and 980 which don't enable previously unreachable new resolutions or game effects. In fact don't really enable much beyond a twenty quid per annum electricity saving on cards run 12 hours per day.

Permabanned
Why not? I would have thought less power = less heat = lower temps = more overclocking and less noise.

As far as less noise is concerned I would have thought the 980/970 because of their lower power consumption would be running at much lower fan speeds than my Vapor-x 290. One 970 user with ref cooler runs his card at 90% fan speed to get the same temps as mine at 39% fan speed. Now 39% is approx 1800rpm. Is the ref cooler on the 970 at 90% running less rpm than that?

What fan speeds does a good custom cooler like the G1 run at on a 970/980?

While the 970 has lower power consumption a 290 with a good custom cooler seems to match it in noise, performance at least.

Mobster
Soldato
Historically it has taken newer (smaller) fabrication processes and/or increased transistor counts to make a new graphics card leap ahead of the opposition. This time NVIDIA have managed to increase performance and efficiency whilst cutting the number of transistors on an old fab process. Prices (for the 970) are also admirably low.

I wonder, does this make the 970/980 Maxwell's the best enthusiasts GPU's ever made?

Of course they are, they are genius cards for the money. The price, performance, efficiency is nothing short of brilliant on this 28nm process. AMD could only dream of these numbers without bolting a fridge freezer to their cards and a small nuclear power plant to power them, and the fact they have zero answer to it yet. They will tell you its all about the 20nm as they have no response either perfectly sums it up.

Best GPU's ever made ? currently.... easily.

Permabanned
Of course they are, they are genius cards for the money. The price, performance, efficiency is nothing short of brilliant on this 28nm process. AMD could only dream of these numbers without bolting a fridge freezer to their cards and a small nuclear power plant to power them, and the fact they have zero answer to it yet. They will tell you its all about the 20nm as they have no response either perfectly sums it up.

Best GPU's ever made ? currently.... easily.

What extra performance would a 970 have over my Vapor-x which has been out for a good while and how much lower noise would a 970 have compared to it's 1800rpm speed (39%) in Crysis 3 if it ran at the same temps of 72c?

Back
Top Bottom