• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Are the GTX 970's & 980's already the best GPU's ever made?

Soldato
Nvidia are known for making big boilers. They'll be right back at it when Titan 2 rolls around. And all of a sudden power usage won't matter again. :D

Soldato
Kyro 2 likely the best card made.
Beating twice the price+ cards at the time.
its like having a low end/mid range card today beating a 295x2
just not happening anymore.

Mobster
Soldato
What extra performance would a 970 have over my Vapor-x which has been out for a good while and how much lower noise would a 970 have compared to it's 1800rpm speed (39%) in Crysis 3 if it ran at the same temps of 72c?

I lol'd at the 'out for a good while' comment. Good one. It's not dawned on you that AMD maxed out this process 'a good while' ago ?

Look at a 970 strix. I'm sure that will answer your questions. It's cooler, quieter, more efficient and faster.

As I said, these are the best gpu's ever made at the moment. The only reason, and the ONLY reason AMD is still selling, is due to fanboys and etailers/retailers giving them away for practically free.

Soldato
Historically it has taken newer (smaller) fabrication processes and/or increased transistor counts to make a new graphics card leap ahead of the opposition. This time NVIDIA have managed to increase performance and efficiency whilst cutting the number of transistors on an old fab process. Prices (for the 970) are also admirably low.

I wonder, does this make the 970/980 Maxwell's the best enthusiasts GPU's ever made?

Nope not best gpu's ever made, they haven't leapt above the competition as competition was nvidias eol stock and amd hawaii. They just currently provide great performance and good power consumption in comparison to OLDER 780/780ti or OLDER 290 290x, however overall raw performance has not improved enough to warrant the gtx980 price tag.
The gtx970 is still a little too dear but very capable and still a great buy.
They have manufactured an efficient mobile architecture and scaled it up respectively for the desktop, not forgetting that they can then also scale up by 25% using the 28nm, or even greater with the next node.
What's amazing is how nvidia innovated with the 28nm situation.
Whilst you can compare the new Maxwell to amd's old Hawaii, let's wait for Amd's attempt for a fair comparison. And if amd's next card is anything as disappointing as Tonga, then say no more.

Permabanned
I lol'd at the 'out for a good while' comment. Good one. It's not dawned on you that AMD maxed out this process 'a good while' ago ?

Look at a 970 strix. I'm sure that will answer your questions. It's cooler, quieter, more efficient and faster.

It would need to be cooler,quieter and faster after the length of time Amd's 290 has been out.

Were did you see the benchmarks or games were the 970 strix was much faster than the 290 Vapor-x?

Soldato
Its too early to say but it already ticks four major boxes:

- Faster than a GPU almost twice the price - yep (vs Titan Black SC)
- Massive overclock potential - yep
- Game changing heat/power profile - yep
- Drivers which are mostly functional at release - yep
- Can be easily watercooled - yep

Nope, thats five boxes! For me, the only box not ticked is a custom BIOS.

Its the first card of such power not to need large (or even dual) power supplies and mega cooling for 3 or 4 way SLI. It provides a similar level of grunt to a 290X/780ti without the hassle.

Caporegime
If you are buying new then they are terrific, who doesn't want a lower TDP and less heat to have to deal with? most people on here will look at them purely from an upgrade (performance only) perspective though in which case they're hardly an improvement on the 780 series.

Associate
They're not hugely amazing in performance increase over last gen, although it is an improvement, but the minimal power consumption and low fan speeds/temps are awesome.

I installed a reference Palit GTX 970 in my brothers new PC the other week, and I could barely hear it at all during games or benchmarks, yet my MSI R9 290 is very audible while at heavy loads, albeit both cards sit in the 75+ Celcius mark the GTX 970 barely has to bother spinning the fan to cool it.

Not quite 8800GT status, but it's an honourable card.

Soldato
Nvidia are known for making big boilers. They'll be right back at it when Titan 2 rolls around. And all of a sudden power usage won't matter again. :D

It doesn't matter now, for me at least.

What does matter is how the power/heat output is managed.

I'm all for big power cards, I hope if gm200 arrives on 28nm it's a 300w+ monster, makes water cooling that little bit sweeter :p

Caporegime
Kyro 2 likely the best card made.
Beating twice the price+ cards at the time.
its like having a low end/mid range card today beating a 295x2
just not happening anymore.

Lol I bought two, I had a video logic I think ' then went for the Hercules 2 as it had tv out and I needed this as we did big screen NHL at the time in multiplayer.

Had the 6800 gto but not the Asus version, unlocked it but it wasn't the best card. The 8800gt was a good buy as I'd sold my 8800 ultra for a few quid more and pocketed the difference' thatncard lasted a while.

Associate
I don't see this as an 8800GT beater, had the 970 launched at £200 then maybe but it didn't. This feels more like the 670 launch, a good card that overclocked well but priced beyond the mainstream.

What's has made the 970 stand out is the absence of a response from AMD, and that at least is in common with the 8800GT.

Associate
I think what Nvidia have accomplished with the 970 is that they have successfully trained people into thinking that £250-£300 is a very cheap price for a low end card. Even I found it hard to restrain myself from buying 1 as an upgrade for my 570!

Back
Top Bottom