Are we seeing a decline in cinemas yet?

Soldato
People who say this stuff massively exaggerate. I go to the cinema 3-4 times a month and notice this stuff rarely. Certainly no reason not to go, unless you go to Saturday morning showings of kids films maybe?
Many of them are not massively exaggerating. You are just lucky.

Caporegime
I just checked our local IMAX. £16.20 for an adult, £13.30 for a child. The do a package deal £54 for 2 adults and 2 kids.

Yes it's IMAX but every cinema should be IMAX this day and age tbh, it should be standard.

Caporegime
I just checked our local IMAX. £16.20 for an adult, £13.30 for a child. The do a package deal £54 for 2 adults and 2 kids.

Yes it's IMAX but every cinema should be IMAX this day and age tbh, it should be standard.

If it was standard they wouldn't be able to charge so much (segmentation).

Cinema should offer bed pans / bottles so people don't have to get up to use the facilities (or maybe some sort of astronaut-style vacuum extraction system).

Associate
Personally I now go to the cinema far less than I used to. I used to go most weeks but now it's maybe once or twice a year.

The reduced time between cinema and DVD release combined with the increased price of cinema tickets and reduced price of DVD/Blu-Ray means it's got to be something really special to warrant me paying more to see something now than I can buy it for in 3 months.

Soldato
In the cinema 1-3 times a week for £17/month due to Cineworld unlimited.

Become a bit obsessive in that i'll only go to showings where I can sit back row in front of the stairs. Reason being to avoid people kicking the back of my seat and also so I don't have to push pass folks if I need the toilet.

The seat kicking thing really annoys me, even if someone is at the end of the row, all the seats are joined so you can feel the pressure/movement.

Had no real issues aside from occasionally you get a muppet checking their phone and not realising it's so bright to anyone behind it gets really distracting. I was watching a guy placing bets 3 rows ahead of me during Rogue One.

However minor annoyances aside, £17 for unlimited movies can't be beaten for new releases, I end up seeing loads of movies I normally would never have paid for and end up being really good.

Soldato
I hardly go to the cinema any more, but I always think to myself while i'm sitting there: "man, the res is very low..."

If you can get such good quality set-ups at home, why cant they get as high res at the cinema? The tech is there to do it!

And once I think that, and considered what ive forked out to see that movie, im a bit... disappointed.

Soldato
I hardly go to the cinema any more, but I always think to myself while i'm sitting there: "man, the res is very low..."

If you can get such good quality set-ups at home, why cant they get as high res at the cinema? The tech is there to do it!

And once I think that, and considered what ive forked out to see that movie, im a bit... disappointed.
I've only been to Vue cinemas recently but they have all been 4k

Soldato

Most will either be 2k or 4k, it's just a much bigger screen.

I do find that 3D films tend to look a bit blurry (especially when panning) but they can be quite fun so accept it.

Imax used to have these huge glasses you wore and I remember the 3D being amazing, now they just use the standard passive throwaway glasses and it doesn't seem as impressive.

Soldato
In the cinema 1-3 times a week for £17/month due to Cineworld unlimited.

However minor annoyances aside, £17 for unlimited movies can't be beaten for new releases, I end up seeing loads of movies I normally would never have paid for and end up being really good.

I wonder if there is a psychological effect with that along the lines of: what we perceive as being cheap/free can more easily impress us?

So, by watching a movie that you "would never have paid for" i.e. wouldnt have lived up to the value of the ticket, but they "end up being really good" because you have lower exceptions due to the reduced entry cost.

I dunno, but it is interesting :)

EDIT: BTW, I'm not knocking the Cineworld unlimited deal - it is really good value for those who like the cinema. I am genuinely interested in the psychological effect it has on the viewer/consumer :)

Soldato
We went last night and there certainly wasn't many people in there. We were watching Sully so not the most popular option at the moment with Passengers, Rogue One being out.

Literally 20 minutes of adverts at the start is still a joke, and £3.20 for a bottle of water is horrendous. I always take my own bottle of water in and will never buy food from cinema. I don't want to have to take out a mortgage :p

Soldato
I've only been to Vue cinemas recently but they have all been 4k

Most will either be 2k or 4k, it's just a much bigger screen.

being in 4K doesnt automatically mean that the film looks good though

I would say that most people are used to their smartphone/computer screen which would have a much higher DPI than the cinema screen - which is probably why i always notice the difference and think that the res is low

Back
Top Bottom