Are you doing anything with Hue?

Associate
May have been mentioned before, will be be honest not read through the entire thread but what would be the best way to connect Hue stuff to my TV?

Looking to maybe get a light strip for use with gaming and films similar to what you get with Ambilight without buying a new TV, but only way I can see to do it is the hdmi box and play bars which is expensive and doesn’t look like it does hdmi 2.1 pass through.

I’ve seen people say it can be done using a laptop/PC using the Hue desktop software but unsure how it would work.

Soldato
Disappointed with hue. Thought each lamp (bulb) extended the ZigBee network, and network was 50m?

First test I had the bridge inside the house (middle-ish) and a lamp about 10m away outside. Tried sensor at the end of the path and couldn't get it to work. Brought it closer and worked, again about 10m away from light.

Tonight, had both lamps and sensors synced (4 items total). Bridge in its old place, first sensor by house, lamp 5m away or so from bridge (2m from sensor) next lamp 15-20m away from that. Sensor close to where it would go.
Lights and sensors kept getting unreachable messages, would only respond to manual, or wouldn't at all.
Eventually "lost" everything and decided to move bridge to closest light and sensor, but still in the house. Couldn't re-connect or sense anything at all.

May have another play tomorrow but will probably end up sacking hue. Just not sure how to tackle my path lights want next.*

*On low/dim at sunset, motion sensor brings lights to full. Hue had the added bonus of adding in timers too.

Commissario
Has anyone got the Hue Smart-Plugs ? I have one that was being used to control a light , but now want to be able to set a timer and use it for a fan. Currently i have setup "Alexa , Turn the fan on / off" ... But can't seem to figure out how to set it up to be turned off after (x / variable) minutes have elapsed.
That's very easy to do via HomeKit but I have no idea when you're using Alexa. I appreciate that doesn't help in your specific situation but it can be done with different hardware controlling it.

I have an external USB hard drive connected to my NAS which is powered by a Hue smart plug and an automation that switches it on at 02:30 and then turns it off after one hour.

Soldato
Had an other play with the two lights and sensors.

Sensor closest to the house controls the two easily. Sensor furthest away at point where it would live was a bit iffy, but at that point it's furthest away ZigBee thing from an other ZigBee thing. Real install there will be other lights in the route.

One issue playing around, even with everything in the same room the app/sensor never reverts back to dim level (or even scene) but about 50%, I had it 10%.

I'm also wondering if a third party app will allow the sensors to act as a lux sensor turning on the lights and motion sensor.

Associate
I use Zigbee2Mqtt dongle and software and my own python scripts. I have my hallway upstairs and downstairs motion activated. My bathroom lights, 2 bulbs are also motion sensitive.

I use Philips Hue white bulbs. The price is worth is with the white, not with the novelty RGB bulbs. Too expensive.

I have SOnOff coin cell power motion sensors, which... work... you get what you pay for.... and what power you can provide.

With the zigbee2mqtt solution you can integrate them with anything MQTT, like NodeRed, Home Assistant etc. Without needing a hue hub.

I also have a few WLEDs strips and smart plug socket lights, also on MQTT which make them look like lights, but they run a table lamp or corner light.

Once you get everything into an MQTT bus, writing "if this then that" and much more complex systems is easy. (tm)

Associate
It looks like the glory days of SOnOffs with blanks for serial programming headers are over. They seem to have standarised on daughter boards without header through holes. Although they do have test points you can solder onto. So 'hacking' them with Tasmota is a bit more compelx.

Don
Planning on getting my step-son some smart lighting to use with his Google Home. Does anyone know if the hue app needs to be running all the time for things to work, or will ok google work fine with the hue bridge once set up?

(as he currently only has an android tablet which isn't "always on")

Soldato
Planning on getting my step-son some smart lighting to use with his Google Home. Does anyone know if the hue app needs to be running all the time for things to work, or will ok google work fine with the hue bridge once set up?

(as he currently only has an android tablet which isn't "always on")

Nope, the bridge takes care of all that. I'm not sure if the BT only ones can run routines - i suspect they're stored on the bridge.

Back
Top Bottom