Are you doing anything with Hue?

Soldato
Where did you get the switches from?
Had to order the following:-
- A pair of Lutron Aurora Hue dimmers (those are the Hue compatible rotators - These are designed to clamp onto actual existing light switches)
- A pair of Lutron Aurora wallplate brackers - As I'm not fitting those dimmers onto existing light switches, I'm using a pair of purpose made brackets for the dimmers to fit onto.
- A Lutron faceplate to clip over the two wallplates.

See if these help explain it:-
- https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Aurora-Dimmer-Philips-Z3-1BRL-WH-L0/dp/B07RJ14FBS
- https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Wallplate-Bracket-Decorator-L-AWALL1-WH/dp/B08JD3NXP8
- https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Claro-Decorator-Wallplate-CW-2-WH/dp/B000MAUTFY

I had to source the former two direct from the US. The wallplate I managed to source in the UK thankfully cheaper.

This cost just over £100 to put togethor. But as it's for our louge/dining room, I figure it's worth it. And it's somewhat more natural in usage than Hue dimmers.

Note: It's larger than a convention dimmer. About 12cm square.

F90T2o1.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone have a Hue Smart Plug?

Can you get it so you can switch it on with a Hue Smart Button, and then automate the plug, so be it on or off, at midnight it is turned off?

Soldato
I have a plug and a switch and I know that what you want can be done via HomeKit and automations. I wouldn’t know if it can be done through the Hue app though.
And chance you could look at the Hue plug in the Hue app and see if you can (like a light?) always turn it off at a given time?

Soldato
Had to order the following:-
- A pair of Lutron Aurora Hue dimmers (those are the Hue compatible rotators - These are designed to clamp onto actual existing light switches)
- A pair of Lutron Aurora wallplate brackers - As I'm not fitting those dimmers onto existing light switches, I'm using a pair of purpose made brackets for the dimmers to fit onto.
- A Lutron faceplate to clip over the two wallplates.

See if these help explain it:-
- https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Aurora-Dimmer-Philips-Z3-1BRL-WH-L0/dp/B07RJ14FBS
- https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Wallplate-Bracket-Decorator-L-AWALL1-WH/dp/B08JD3NXP8
- https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Claro-Decorator-Wallplate-CW-2-WH/dp/B000MAUTFY

I had to source the former two direct from the US. The wallplate I managed to source in the UK thankfully cheaper.

This cost just over £100 to put togethor. But as it's for our louge/dining room, I figure it's worth it. And it's somewhat more natural in usage than Hue dimmers.

Note: It's larger than a convention dimmer. About 12cm square.

F90T2o1.jpg
Just wanted to say this is a cracking idea. Obviously expensive but seems like an ideal solution.

Soldato
Just wanted to say this is a cracking idea. Obviously expensive but seems like an ideal solution.
Thanks...

It's fairly responsive too. It's akin to a varilight dimmer controlling regular led gu10s, where there's a smoothing delay in brightness changes, but it has a fairly natural feel to it.

Why Hue don't produce units like this off the shelf, who knows...

And don't forget, it is larger than a single UK light fitting at 12cm square.

Soldato
That's what put me off a bit after your first post - Appreciate all the details though, it's interesting to see how you put it all together.
Well, the new V2 official Hue Dimmer is at least designed width wise for a UK light socket/box. ie: It will screw directly over one, which is what I've done in a playroom. ie: Took the old dimmer switch off. Hardwired the wiring to 'always on'. Then simply screwed the Hue Dummer V2 over that light socket/box onto the wall. Done...

You couldn't do that with the V1 version, as it wouldn't even cover the socket (width wise).

Commissario
Yup, that's more or less what I've done with one of the V2 dimmers I have. My kitchen ceiling light came with a V1 dimmer but as that's magnetic, I've just stuck it on the fridge and it happens it's in an ideal position so even though I've set it all up with a motion sensor, my hand just automatically reaches up and switches it off when I leave the room.

Soldato
Thoughts on the new app? Not sure I'm a fan, Hue Essentials is and was better.
Is it my imagination or on the home page, are your rooms and zones needlessly bigger boxes? So you get less shown on your phone screen?

EDIT: You can arrange the order of those rooms/zones on that first screen which is more logical. Before you had to duck off to a dedicated screen to do it I believe.

Last edited:
Commissario
Thoughts on the new app? Not sure I'm a fan, Hue Essentials is and was better.
The old app was absolute garbage for me, it took thirty seconds to open and longer than that to react and even change screens when I was in it. All Hue support could tell me to do was delete and reinstall it which means it would lose all my settings.

The new one works perfectly, opens instantaneously and I can do stuff straight away. It's unmeasurably better.

Soldato
The old app was absolute garbage for me, it took thirty seconds to open and longer than that to react and even change screens when I was in it. All Hue support could tell me to do was delete and reinstall it which means it would lose all my settings.

The new one works perfectly, opens instantaneously and I can do stuff straight away. It's unmeasurably better.
Yeh, seems fine apart from the needlessly large room/zone boxes. Could easily be 2/3rds the height so get nigh on 30% more rooms/zones on the screen without scrolling...

Shame there's not a setting to display it more compact to get more rooms/zones per screen.

Soldato
Ok... How do you now adjust the colour of bulbs in a room? Before you simply click the room and then you could adjust the colour live/instantly.

Now?

EDIT: You have to click one of the bulbs in the room.

Soldato
Forgot i even had an app, been using the apple widget for my lights

Only recently updated mine as well after noticing the widgets were showing as no longer working.

The app very rarely gets used by me either, i either control with the HA app, or rely on voice/buttons/scheduling/automations.

Back
Top Bottom