arghh.. work mate keeps trying to convert me

Associate
ok i work with a god fearing christian, who has tried and failed to make me see the light. He knows that I dont believe in any of that, and the only thing i believe in is evolution, due to the evidence all around us.

So today he had another try, why ohh why, can't these people just respect other peoples beliefs ? Its bad enough my wifes family are christian, but even they have given up.

So before i goto hell, i'd just like to say to any christians, please.. by all means try once, but if the answer is no, let it drop and respect other peoples beliefs.

Man of Honour
Tell him to bring you definitive proof of the existence of an omnipotent, omniscient being or he can stfu. Tell him also that faith is not an acceptable answer and also that the onus is on him to prove there is rather than you to prove there isn't.

Failing that write the numbers of some local psychiatrists on some card and hand one to him every time he evangalises stating that you think he needs to seek professional help for his delusions.

Basically insult the fool. :D

Man of Honour
Soldato
Basically insult the fool. :D
I don't think that's a good idea, it'll just encourage him to try harder. Just let him know that you don't want to hear about it. There's no need to argue or debate the issue. He's sure he's right and so are you. It might even be considered harassment if you ask him to stop and he doesn't, seeing as it's the workplace.

Caporegime
Maybe you should try actually listening to him with an open mind and making your own mind up? It sounds like you haven't really given your work mate a chance - I think it's very brave of him to talk about his faith like he is.

Soldato
Tell him to #!$% right off.

Seriously, you know that time when you were younger? When that bird you DIDN'T fancy wouldn't leave you alone and wouldn't take a hint? In the end you had to be nasty to make her go away?

You're only encouraging the fool by not being clear in your requirement for him to leave you alone.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tell him to bring you definitive proof of the existence of an omnipotent, omniscient being or he can stfu. Tell him also that faith is not an acceptable answer and also that the onus is on him to prove there is rather than you to prove there isn't.

odd really, as things like evolution rely on this quite a lot as well (ie faith, and lack of conlusive proof not based on something proven to be false or fruadulent) :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Maybe you should try actually listening to him with an open mind and making your own mind up? It sounds like you haven't really given your work mate a chance - I think it's very brave of him to talk about his faith like he is.

Why should newbidood have to? If he doesn't want to listen to a lecture about Christianity and has made his feelings known then that should be the point where it stops. Maybe the workmate is doing it with the best of intentions but you can't really save someone who doesn't want to be saved. Also bear in mind that work isn't really one of the places where you can just leave, as you perhaps could on the street, or effectively shut the door in the evangelisers face, as you could in your home.

Either action is arguably rude but no more or less so than ignoring a stated wish for someone not to go on about their faith or indeed any other subject. Believe in what you want but don't tell me about it when I make it clear that I am not interested.

Permabanned
odd really, as things like evolution rely on this quite a lot as well (ie faith, and lack of conlusive proof not based on something proven to be false or fruadulent) :rolleyes:

If you really believe that I would advise you to do some research as what you've just said is completely wrong I'm afraid. Evolution most certainly does not rely on faith, it relies on decades of painstaking research and evidence collected that spans many millions of years into the Earths past. In all it's time there has not been one shred of evidence against Evolution, as if there ever were it would stop being a theory and would just be an idea someone had that turned out to be wrong. Evolution cannot be directly observed as it occurs over many millions of years (on the scale of one species evolving into a new one) therefor it will never be considered proved (by those in the know), despite the fact that there is an overwhelmingly huge amount of evidence for it.

Also one last note, Evolution as a theory doesn't explain everything. This does not mean it's wrong, it's just incomplete.

Back
Top Bottom