Ark: Survival Evolved - Dinosaur MMO/Survival PVP funz!

It's a maybe, a big maybe. I do love the look of it though. Watching Streams was hit and miss, very often frame drops and all. Apparently Epic graphics on a TX got 5fps. But I'll wait and see reviews, videos and that and make up my mind after.

6/10 there to buying it. The fun is there, definitely.

Earlier i was all set but Im undecided now.

I dont think it helped that i watched a fair amount of the Reverb stream which was what Wildfire were promoting and playing with, but he was running on a 770 (iirc) and settings were dialled down to medium so it looked nothing like the trailer (quelle surprise) and he seemed rather useless and probably died 10 times.
Whereas Lirik has a capable machine and it looks much much better, he's actually working with people, rather than being given stuff by devs and everyones messing about. So you're seeing more of the actual game at least.

For a game which looks as good as it does, and is quite far along (its not a typical alpha release), theres a few things which are horrible and i think 90% of them are GUI related - text in particular. Its like everything is designed based on the console needs of being across the room and needing huge sharp coloured text in order to be able to read it.

Not sure what to make of taming so far, i think the OSD ruins the experience, they've spoke of this minimalistic GUI and then put huge pop-ups for the status of the unconscious animal which looks ugly.

Styling popups and an unfinished GUI is understandable, but the huge 'BLABLA JUST JOINED THIS ARK' isnt something that needs refining, it needs 5sec for whoever programmed that message to go back and dial it down.

Hopefully many of the things im unimpressed with so far can be modded to my taste. I think i'll try and watch some more streaming and how i feel tomorrow. It certainly looks more like a polished & promising game with quite a lot of work still needed to be done, rather than just a rough game with potential. They look like they're 60% there, not 5% a vision.

Was all set to buy this game today, been looking forward to the release and the trailer looked epic, however after watching Lirik streaming lastnight I’m unsure.

As above, hate the interface, the text and inventory look really really rubbish, spoils the whole game for me, rust does it far far better, you seem to need to drink water every 2 mins, which would drive me up the wall, also don't like the look of the characters, looks like a cartoon, the trailer looked slightly more real.

Then we get on to the biggest issue, performance, not willing to put up with poor fps and bad looking graphics.

Quite disappointed at the moment really.

I'm the same as you guys really, I was 100% set on buying this until I saw the streams last night. I'm probably still going to buy it, but the performance issues seemed a major problem. I'm on a Titan X too, and the performance Lirik was getting was pretty shocking, but he is a bit of a noob when it comes to settings. I'm sure with more tweaking it would be faster. He's at 1440p and he was running ultra AA, and then he knocked it down to medium, when it should have been off.

He also had the res scaling set to full, but as there's no indicators of what that means, he could have been running supersampling without realising.

PS - PaulC2K, you are a great poster. :)

So either I'm getting too old for this or there's no way of actually getting this as a mere mortal yet... am I missing something? Steam is showing early access, but no actual "CAN HAZ" button.

Also, this does seem like it'll be relatively persistent, which interests me more than some of the other survival games that wipe your stuff.

Day Zero Update said:
We will begin Early Access tomorrow as normal on June the 2nd, hopefully you guys will be able to pick up a copy at around 10AM PST, possibly a little later. As we get closer to hour-zero we’ll be sure to let everyone know :).

Answered my own question there... so this evening.

This looks really, really cool. But I'm going to hang fire on any purchase. I've been stung by these early access survival games before!

This looks really, really cool. But I'm going to hang fire on any purchase. I've been stung by these early access survival games before!

Normally i would agree, however given how quickly they have developed this and how committed the dev team are, i.e. they quickly stated the GUI will be updated and fixed, i'm still tempted to jump in on day one.

Normally i would agree, however given how quickly they have developed this and how committed the dev team are, i.e. they quickly stated the GUI will be updated and fixed, i'm still tempted to jump in on day one.

Meh it is a early access survival game, I am in as per normal. It is my curse to buy as many of these as possible.

Im just watching Lirik's stream from last night, and im back on board the hype train :D

If anyones interested: http://www.twitch.tv/lirik/v/5690377
I jumped to about 4h to skip the early stuff, and from 4h50 to 5h15 he's going inland with 2 of the devs and they've just arrived at one of the focus areas, the bright laser-like light from the sky.

Ignoring the fact that the interface looks like its ripped out of a mobile game and placed in a pretty stunning looking game world, there seems like quite a lot of game already exists to progress through.

Im hoping that they implement a tree-chopping solution similar to Stranded Deep, rather than chopping down a tree and it disappearing, and all the wood recovered was during the chopping animation. SD has it down really nice.

5h30 looks like the point where i turned over to watch his stream instead of the Reverb one, they've got some building foundations down.

I think i'll probably get this tonight, might even get the 4-pack ($70/£50ish) and give copies to mates who were on the fence (largely cos of Day-Z etc).

Im just watching Lirik's stream from last night, and im back on board the hype train :D

I jumped to about 4h to skip the early stuff, and from 4h50 to 5h15 he's going inland with 2 of the devs and they've just arrived at one of the focus areas, the bright laser-like light from the sky.

Ignoring the fact that the interface looks like its ripped out of a mobile game and placed in a pretty stunning looking game world, there seems like quite a lot of game already exists to progress through.

Im hoping that they implement a tree-chopping solution similar to Stranded Deep, rather than chopping down a tree and it disappearing, and all the wood recovered was during the chopping animation. SD has it down really nice.

5h30 looks like the point where i turned over to watch his stream instead of the Reverb one, they've got some building foundations down.

I think i'll probably get this tonight, might even get the 4-pack ($70/£50ish) and give copies to mates who were on the fence (largely cos of Day-Z etc).

I would be happy to go into a 4 way buy if you have a spare ;) Or anyone else.

Does anyone play Beasts of Prey here? I keep trying it but I never seem to be able to get into it for some reason.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, if i end up getting a 4-pack it'll be for 4 of us.
There doing 1 (£20ish), 2 ($40/£30ish) & 4 ($70/£50ish) packs so it shouldnt be too hard to find someone to split a pack and all save some $$ in the process.

Havent played BoP, think ive seen some video of it a while back but not much. Looks similar, perhaps a little less going on (ARK seems to have a lot more wildlife) but trying to be a little more realistic, where ARK is definitely taking liberties with things and having dino's as pets its more fun-orientated and the visual look of both games matches that.
I think i mentioned last week, im not so fussed about dino's but i like survival games and this looks like the first interesting game which is survival based where you dont need to PvP (something ive no interest in) to keep yourself interested in the game as there seems to be plenty to see & do and i really hope that people will frequently ignore the fact that someone is nearby and not see them as sport. If its still heavier in PvP than i'd like, at least they'll have PvE (not sure if that'll be an option today) and worse case is someone trolls you by luring a dino over which kills you and they loot you. That'd be annoying, but i could live with that, im just not into shoot on sight and "Friendly, Friendly [shoots]" etc.

Only watched the early part of his stream live, the later stuff looks good (issues aside).

13mins and counting............

Only watched the early part of his stream live, the later stuff looks good (issues aside).

13mins and counting............

Don't think I have seen a steam game unlock on time before :D Just saw a post that reckons a 980 on ultra can only get 30fps on this in its current early state.

"Originally posted by Wildcard Jat:
Hello everyone!

Working on final server testing. The island of ARK: Survival Evolved will open on Steam at 2pm PST // 5pm EST // 9PM GMT.

See you then!"

Last edited:
Yeah, said to be anywhere between 6-7pm from what i understand.

We had Cities Skylines unlock about 90min before expected, was a similar deal where they only had the power to set the date of release, they werent big enough (or willing to pay?) to have it released/unlocked at a specific time, and for whatever reason they seemed to unlock it around 4:30pm which would have been about 7:30am west coast (which i believe is where its dealt with, or they're based). Seems like its just whenever they hit the button to update the store.

Back
Top Bottom