***ArmA 3 Thread***

Associate
Genuinely finding it a bit boring at the minute. I think it's 99% down to the map, it's just too small with not enough towns, cities, villages, main roads etc. Also for some reason no-one is building bases. In Chernarus Wasteland it felt like there was so much going on but on Stratis it feels like there's some action at the airfield and gunstore beside airfield and that's it. Hopefully they release Altis with Beta or else a good map like Celle 2 gets ported over to Arma 3 and people start running it on their Wasteland servers.

Soldato
So you're saying that because it's Alpha its free from criticism? OK then.

I agree on BI's position as the leader in the military sim front. However as you suggested, there is a real lack of competition in that particular genre at the moment.

It's not free from criticism but people are moaning as if the game is finished. It's early alpha and is not due for release until Jul-Sep when it supposedly will be released.

It has quite a long time to go in both alpha, beta to iron out performance problems, game modes, bugs etc. So to buy it now when it is known by many to not be ready and then complain about it like a fully ready new game is beyond stupid.

Associate
300k in two months, DayZ is verging on a year old now. How many copies has ArmA 2 sold in total to this date? 2 million at a stretch? Do the math. ;)

I respect you like the games, maybe even played it before DayZ but face it, if it wasn't for Rocket, ArmA 3 wouldn't be as good as it is now.

Just facts, bruhs. No need to get so butthurt!

That`s a rubbish speech.I would do so much better if i won an award.

Soldato
Ok. :D

not sure about the sim part but I think you mean BF3 and instead we got BC3.
We should have an all round fighter thats simple to play, arma isnt that really.

Wait for BF4, beta be round this year I think. Looks very nice, hopefully thats not all it is

I'll try the beta off a mate for ArmA 3, it certainly looks good.

Soldato
I just have 3 questions. Can you drop more than 3 feet without dying, do doors/gates still sporadically attack you and break your legs, and can you get through doors without surgically splicing your arms off now?

Associate
It's not free from criticism but people are moaning as if the game is finished. It's early alpha and is not due for release until Jul-Sep when it supposedly will be released.

It has quite a long time to go in both alpha, beta to iron out performance problems, game modes, bugs etc. So to buy it now when it is known by many to not be ready and then complain about it like a fully ready new game is beyond stupid.

Agreed. But saying there are games that look better than this is a fair comment, and its nothing to do with the game being in alpha.

Soldato
One of the comments from Dslyecxi's video...

RedRiverChannel 23 minutes ago
Loooool.
The game is in ALPHA stage now... and it seems far superior compared to ARMA 2. The beta version will be even better. And when it goes gold, there will be jizz all over.

:D:D

Soldato
well i gave it and go, it runs okay but for an acceptable experience I have to set it to a mixture of standard/high with a distance of 4500.

Looks like I need to get a second card :p

Soldato
Agreed. But saying there are games that look better than this is a fair comment, and its nothing to do with the game being in alpha.

It's down to opinion really, after Arma2 this is much better graphics wise. In some peoples eyes this is the best game graphically they have played. I myself think it is really good, but i have seen better.

In the end it does have problems, i'll hold my tongue until it comes out though as there is plenty of time for it all to be changed/fix etc.

Soldato
Can you drop more than 3 feet without dying

You could jump off a roof in Arma 2. I did it plenty and I also ended up crawling bleeding out after stepping off a little ledge too.
Depends on the Server, on the Map / Mission parameters etc

Arma is all about modding it to whatever you want and a lot of players on arma are ex mil or sim guys, they want you to die every time you sneeze without the safety on. Why dont they make a zero grav unlimited damage fun mod I dont know :p

Soldato
But saying there are games that look better than this is a fair comment, and its nothing to do with the game being in alpha.

Yes it is a fair comment but do those games enable you do interact from 1000m above the ground down to ground level with such a view distance because that is what this engine has to do and that adds immersion. Yes you can get a generic combat experience like BF to look better because it is doing something completely different. If you are drawing at such distances then you are not going to get the fidelity you can with shorter draw distances but those draw distances add a significant part to the experience. I like that kind of thing so for me this game is stunning but I also like Prince of Persia (graphically) but I wouldn't weigh the two against each other because they are very different games and designs.

Soldato
well i gave it and go, it runs okay but for an acceptable experience I have to set it to a mixture of standard/high with a distance of 4500.

Looks like I need to get a second card :p

It's not due to your system not being able to cope, it's merely how unoptimized it is currently. If you have the money to then get another, if not then don't do it just for Arma unless you need that excuse! ;)

Soldato
You could jump off a roof in Arma 2. I did it plenty and I also ended up crawling bleeding out after stepping off a little ledge too.
Depends on the Server, on the Map / Mission parameters etc

Arma is all about modding it to whatever you want and a lot of players on arma are ex mil or sim guys, they want you to die every time you sneeze without the safety on. Why dont they make a zero grav unlimited damage fun mod I dont know :p

I'm not complaining about realism, an ultra realistic military simulator is appealing as hell and if ArmA 3 has all the issues from ArmA 2 gone with nice graphics and better AI then it's a no brainer, but ArmA 2 was pretty damn broken dude. Was annoying spending ages getting towards an objective just to break my legs climbing a ladder. :D

Soldato
It definitely wasnt perfect but most of my complaints were about walking miles to fight an enemy who shot me pretty quickly. Hence walking simulator..

Some missions let you respawn pretty easily and others it perma death, disconnection etc even more sucky. Arrowhead improved things a lot, not sure if you missed that part not buggy imo

Associate
Yes it is a fair comment but do those games enable you do interact from 1000m above the ground down to ground level with such a view distance because that is what this engine has to do and that adds immersion.

Yes but look at how badly Arma 2 still runs almost 4 years after release. Even top spec the performance is pretty poor in MP. I'm not even that fussed about the graphics in Arma 3, I just wish Bohemia would find a way to optimize their games better - it's 2013, we have quad core processors and SLI - there's really no excuse. I think peoples hopes for final release are a bit optimistic, I expect the constant crashing to be fixed but that's about it.

Soldato
Of the 24 hours played about 20 of that was DayZ. It was fun though with ACE & ACRE doing some proper missions, felt great on headset etc. with radial communications and location based volume. It was just a whole lotta arsing about in boxes for gear in a horrid inventory system and a lot of walking through forests just for a fire fight every few thousand acres. :p

Back
Top Bottom