***ArmA 3 Thread***

C64

C64

Soldato
Played for 20 seconds tonight shant be going back until they fixed the recoil simply cant be doing with that horrific recoil.

No biggy mainly just wanted the full game at £19-99 than the beta.

Back to arma II wasteland and i44 for me.

Soldato
Played for 20 seconds tonight shant be going back until they fixed the recoil simply cant be doing with that horrific recoil.

No biggy mainly just wanted the full game at £19-99 than the beta.

Back to arma II wasteland and i44 for me.

Try firing from different positions (kneeling etc) and watch how the recoil changes, i think its quite accurate to be honest.

Soldato
And optimizations not on the list http://alpha.arma3.com/known-issues

Surely optimization is a given thing though, doubt they'll leave it in this state performance wise. Considering the fact people are getting about the same kinda performance out of this alpha as they did ArmA 2, and it looks a lot better. Also that's pre-beta, pre-driver updates and pre-patched, so I reckon a few months after full release tops, it'll have pretty nippy performance.

Soldato
I'm going to refrain from playing the hell out of this until they start adding in the APCs/Tanks/Jets/Main Island. Give it time for some of the proper user missions to be ported over and have perhaps a couple of new ones get a nice footing.

It's going to be so awesome when this hits beta and all that stuff is in however. Then it's time to go taint deep \o/

Permabanned
Try firing from different positions (kneeling etc) and watch how the recoil changes, i think its quite accurate to be honest.

My thoughts exactly, virtually no recoil when lying down, and much decreased when kneeling. Think the guy needs to try firing a rifle in real life standing up.

Soldato
Yes it is a fair comment but do those games enable you do interact from 1000m above the ground down to ground level with such a view distance because that is what this engine has to do and that adds immersion. Yes you can get a generic combat experience like BF to look better because it is doing something completely different. If you are drawing at such distances then you are not going to get the fidelity you can with shorter draw distances but those draw distances add a significant part to the experience. I like that kind of thing so for me this game is stunning but I also like Prince of Persia (graphically) but I wouldn't weigh the two against each other because they are very different games and designs.

I think the best example of a game that could go against ArmA 3 is Just Cause 2. It 32km by 32km, huge draw distance, runs flawlessly, but it has a quite small draw distance of small objects around the player.

ArmA's biggest problem, it's still the ground textures that look awful from distance and just like in A2, there is no grass at hundreds of meters away. This and the explosion effect (game/special effects in general).

Seem to have 30fps in 8 man coop games, like 15-20 in wasteland :(

both sli and single gpu utilization is about 30% lol

Try to set a lower view distance; by increasing it, it also drops the GPU usage. and of course, the frame rate.

Surely optimization is a given thing though, doubt they'll leave it in this state performance wise. Considering the fact people are getting about the same kinda performance out of this alpha as they did ArmA 2, and it looks a lot better. Also that's pre-beta, pre-driver updates and pre-patched, so I reckon a few months after full release tops, it'll have pretty nippy performance.

The problem comes from the CPU side, not the GPU/drivers side. I can run ArmA 2 and ArmA 3 close to top settings with an 7950OC, but the drops in performance comes from low GPU usage. If you play around with the editor and add units, you'll see the video card just laying casual around with 20%+ to 50-60% usage if lucky. I've put 6 squads (3 vs.3) of infantry against each other in the main town, and FPS dropped to around 27-32FPS when they were fighting. Again, the video card hardly break a sweat in the mean time. CPU usage was like: first core around 95-99% usage, the other 3 were ~ 50%. Same stuff as it is in ArmA 2. If they don't fix this somehow, we can have as much as 4 Titans in our system, they'll just do nothing.
The CPU was a i5 2500k@4,5GHz.

C64

C64

Soldato
My thoughts exactly, virtually no recoil when lying down, and much decreased when kneeling. Think the guy needs to try firing a rifle in real life standing up.

No it just doesn't feel right at all obviously at alpha stage but firing a pistol shouldn't send your xhair flying up and all over the place for just one shot.
Anyhow that and a few other reasons like sound being very basic and a floaty feel means I am out until they update looks promising though.

Associate

The recoil while standing seems extreme (source: fired an AK47, M4, Sig 552 in full auto).

Seems you are a trainer operator, yet you cant fire in accurate short bursts.... so I hope they calm it down a bit.

Side question: Is it possible to deploy bi-pods?

I was using the M249 in multiplayer and the recoil was really really bad, even when prone, I was not able to fire accurate bursts in full auto, so I figured maybe you have a deploy bipod key? Any ideas?

Soldato
Yes but look at how badly Arma 2 still runs almost 4 years after release.

But Arma 3 already runs better than Arma 2 does for everyone I know who has it. It sounds like you have an axe to grind with BI rather than an objective and open mind to this game which is nothing less than stunning for an alpha build. Do you judge everyone on their past mistakes when they have addressed them and show no signs of previous errors. Because holding grudges benefits no-one.

Soldato
I think the best example of a game that could go against ArmA 3 is Just Cause 2. It 32km by 32km, huge draw distance, runs flawlessly, but it has a quite small draw distance of small objects around the player.

And of course if you actually use that draw distance like you say you don't seem small objects detailed and you don't see what you would find when you get to that location which removes a very important aspect from any tactical game.

Arma 2 was quite clearly a buggy mess and continued to be unoptimised but they offer something really unique with Arma 3 that for me and everyone I know works really well. I just wish they had taken some of that DayZ money and purchased the company that makes Steel Beasts and implemented the modelling they have there for the armour and vehicles into Arma. Then hook up a deal with DCS and we will have the perfect game!

Associate
I just have 3 questions. Can you drop more than 3 feet without dying, do doors/gates still sporadically attack you and break your legs, and can you get through doors without surgically splicing your arms off now?
The answer is yes you can drop more then 3 feet, doors have improved, you can walk through the door way without having to jiggle the mouse like a loon & I've yet to take any damage from an opening door.
There arn't a whole load of assets at the moment a couple of Jeep/chopper variants on each side & basic infantry units.

Soldato
I am loving Wasteland but it keeps crashing. Yesterday I killed up to 15 people, looted a Weapons Cache, loaded up with an NLAW and a nice rifle, bought a supressor and ACOG and then just as I went to shoot a car... crash!!

Soldato
I spent quite a while playing this last night, I'm absolutely pants.... Did have a rather epic 1v1 shoot out at a weapon store at one point that lasted a few minutes taking pot shots leaning around cover etc was pretty cool, also enjoyed a rather large coordinated assault on a crashed heli in a valley... Defiantly need to get a mic though.

Associate
But Arma 3 already runs better than Arma 2 does for everyone I know who has it. It sounds like you have an axe to grind with BI rather than an objective and open mind to this game which is nothing less than stunning for an alpha build. Do you judge everyone on their past mistakes when they have addressed them and show no signs of previous errors. Because holding grudges benefits no-one.

No grudges held, and I can't account for everyone. Just my own opinion running the game on my PC.

Soldato
I wish they'd have said there were snakes in this - I absolutely hate snakes - ran into a building last night to get cover from a fire fight and promptly ran out again screaming SNAKE on TS. Got shot but I escaped the snake.

Back
Top Bottom