Artic Freezer II 280 problem.

Associate
I have just installed an Artic Freezer II 280 on an AMD 4 and I can lift the entire cooling assembly up and down, obviously some thing is not right. The Artic Cooling website shows the installation method for an earlier version, any one got any ideas please?

Associate
OP
Hi Ross, The amount of 'float' is approx' the same as the collar on the AMD mounting plate. Ther are two sizes of stand offs 23mm and 26mm I have the same problem with either. I have conatcted Artic Cooling and will be interested in their answer. One of my problems is that there is no manual supplied or 'e' mail link to a manual. There is, however, a link to manual using a 'funny pattern thingy' and a mobile 'phone which I do not need or want.

Associate
OP
Freddie, Thanks for the video, I have been trawling the web for nearly a week, and, to be honest I think that I will have to make my own stand offs. All it needs is collar to fit over the collar on the fixing plate on the socket, driil out the exixsting threads make the new collar 26mm long. That I hope will solve the problem, however, I will give Artic Cooling a chance to respond to the 'e' mail I sent them earlier today.

Associate
OP
Andarial, Many thanks for your response, the link you provided does virtually nothing.
If the standoffs are for Intel use only then why are they supplied for AMD 4 and illustrated as such in the contents sheet that comes with the box?
It would appear that there are several versions on the mounting methods used and Artic Cooling can't be bothered to keep their documentation up to date.
According to the illustration I have seen the block is secured to the mounting plate by 4 thumb nuts which are screwed down onto the 4 shorter stand offs.

Associate
OP
Andarial day is not clear round here. Please read my response at 10.43am. The kit I have uses a totally different mounting to yours which I thought was obvious. If stand off are not needed for AMD then why do Artic Cooling supply them?

Soldato
Just watched a unboxing video and seen all the screws and standoffs are just in one bag. Would have been better keeping AMD and Intel separate.

You say "According to the illustration I have seen the block is secured to the mounting plate by 4 thumb nuts which are screwed down onto the 4 shorter stand offs".

On the video it does show what looks like standoffs but they are part of the AMD backplate.

As Andarial said, post some Pics of what have.

Associate
OP
Freddie, what you think are stand offs are actually the lugs which locate the backplate on the MB. They are 5mm tall and the inside is tapped to accept the screws which hold brackets on which are moulded the lugs which hold the AMD heatsink. When I look at the threads on the backplate they appear to be of a coarser pitch than those on the Artiic Cooler. I can see no point in posting pics because as I said earlier I have exactly what is seen on the kit contents sheet. I will try Overclockers Technical Support, but, it is very difficult as I have been hanging on for ages. I have just been cut off after ¼ hour hanging on., not impressed at all

Associate
OP
I have had a quick and not very scientific measure of what is required to replace the Artic Cooling supplied stand offs. Material any alloy or hard plastic, I must have something suitable in the workshop. Height 15mm, OD 8mm, ID 6mm. Secured with either Allen bolt from top using existing thread in back plate lugs, or drilling out thread in back plate lugs and using Allen bolt from bottom through MB and securing with the supplied thumb nuts.

Soldato
On the video it does show what looks like standoffs but they are part of the AMD backplate.

Freddie, what you think are stand offs are actually the lugs which locate the backplate on the MB. They are 5mm tall and the inside is tapped to accept the screws which hold brackets on which are moulded the lugs which hold the AMD heatsink. When I look at the threads on the backplate they appear to be of a coarser pitch than those on the Artiic Cooler.

I was pointing out that they are not standoffs.

Have you tried to see if the screws fit the backplate lugs?

Associate
OP
Sorry Freddie, I miss read your post. I have tried the standoffs on the backplate [they are threaded both ends] and on inspection the threads on the standoffs appear to be finer than the threads on the backplate. I have been advised that I may have redress as the cooler appears to be not fit for purpose.

Soldato
:confused:
Why do you keep on about standoffs?
We have told you a few times that A4 does not use standoffs
No offence m8 but you do not seem willing to listen to what we are telling you and you will not even post pics or video of the bits/or your attempts to fit it
Best of luck

Associate
OP
Andarial, I suggest that you nind your own business if you can't understand that the standoffs are suipplies by Artic Cooling in two varieties, one fpor Intel and one for AMD. So please keep youur nose out of it

Back
Top Bottom