ASRock 775Dual-VSTA for Conroe (Core2) with both AGP/PCI-E and DDR1/DDR2 support

Associate
My 7300 can't handle the high PCI-E - many other cards can. It gets to windows easily 270FSB to 300FSB but the screen starts switching on and off... apart from that everything else is fine.

So pot luck with your PCI-E card :(

Soldato
Can someone tell me the exact names of the bios options I need to change (as listed in the bios) to get the memory to work at 4-4-4-12. (As Asrock have probably called them something wierd).

Thankyou :)

Matthew

Soldato
I know, it's very bizarre. They give you SEVERELY limited overclocking options, then go on a rampage with memory options that are mostly pointless. Most of the features you disable in order to get a higher/stable overclock, yet they give you options you'll never use, and word them differently to every other manufacturer :(

That's why I thought I'd ask which ones are the ones to change in case asrock had called them something else.

Glad it's not only me that was thinking about it :D

EDIT: Oh did setting it at 1T actually make any difference to performance?

Matthew

Associate
Ive got completely lost as to what to change in the Bios, so much so I bought a new board which doesnt support my c2d, so bought one from the MM and just waiting for it to be delivered.

When i first got the board i just threw the fsb up and it only went to 300, couldnt get it any higher at all.

Associate
EDIT: Oh did setting it at 1T actually make any difference to performance?

Matthew

Good question, i didn't run any benchmarks before I changed it

After a bit of guesswork I've got my memory running at 305Mhz (1:1 ratio - oddly when I set it at 333Mhz in the BIOS it drops to something like 211Mhz with a 4:3 divider so I have it set at 266 or AUTO as they both set it the same)
3-3-4-12-1T
When I get un-lazy i'll reset it to stock, then run some benchies...

Soldato
Could you pop in and just write down the exact names of the settings that need to be changed please?

i.e. so memory if 3-3-4-12 it might be
3 - ras cas fas das setting
3 - pas cas update fing fang woo setting
4 - ding bats triple uber setting
12 - latency setting

(for example, because I can't remember the names of the top of my head :D)

Matthew

Associate
i bought this board before xmas along with an e6750 (1333mmhz) knowin that the board doesnt upport it fully. but at the time i only had a agp x800pro and ddr1. i can get the e6750 up to about 2.4ghz anything more i cannot boot. but i dont understand the bios settings as mention here previously as they dont name or word them the same as any other bios i have seen.
i will be looking into changing the motherboard in the future to one that fully supports my e6750 and gives x16 pcie. is there any simple explanation of what bios sttings i should change to maximise what i can get ou of this board until i do manage to upgrade.

thanks

kieron:)

Associate
Ok, I got my memory to 3-3-3-12-1T buy using the following: (I didn't change anything to get the 12)

Dram Cas# Latency = 3
Active to CMD(Trcd) = 3T
Precharge to active = 3T

Hope this helps...to be honest I don't really know what the timings mean except lower is faster. I don't know what clock speed your RAM is running at, but because mine is underclocked so much, I expect to be able to tighten the timings even more. something like 3-3-3-8 or something would be nice :)

Now I just gotta set it all back to stock so I can do some benchmarks. What would be a good benchmark to use? I doubt 3dmark 05 and 06 would matter that much. So i reckon SuperPI?

By the way Scouger - did you have an x1950 pro in your system at one point? How much faster/better is that HD3870?

Soldato
Munky, I had the x1950xt 256 MB. It was a very fast card :) At the time the most taxing games I had were Oblivion and Stalker though. It has to be said based on comparison of those, it really does beat it by a fair bit. I am much happier I sold the 1950xt and then got the 3870, as apart from Crysis I can now play anything I want at max settings at 1280 :)

If your looking for a figure I would say it is roughly twice as fast as the 1950xt and well worth the extra £35 difference (bought x1950xt for 105 and sold it, bought HD3870 for £140).

To be honest, I'd am still kinda inclined to think that the 3850 512mb is a better deal as long as your prepared to clock it.

Matthew

Associate
Just resurrecting...

I added a XFX Geforce 8800GTS XXX 320 to my 4Core VSTA with out even a blink. I was tempted by the G92's but they PCI-E v1.1 on this board made me wary of flashing a PCI-E card down to 1.1.... and hell, I got the XXX cheap.

Last edited:
Associate
Bringing the thread back from the dead :)

I just ordered the Gainward 3870xt to go in this board. Should arrive today, so I'll get to try it out this evening.

Hopefully it will tide me over until I can be bothered to get a new mobo and do a complete rebuild.

Back
Top Bottom