Assassins Creed Shadows - AC finally (at last) heads to Japan

Associate
Feudal Japan is a favourite setting for me, but feels like this could pale in comparison to other recent games set there. Ubi will have to bring something original for me to care and let's be honest, originality isn't exactly their watchword!

Soldato
This should have been a new IP. The more recent games are Assassins Creed in name only. The original story has been altered, modified and diluted so much that it seems superfluous to the enjoyment.

Man of Honour
OP
This should have been a new IP. The more recent games are Assassins Creed in name only. The original story has been altered, modified and diluted so much that it seems superfluous to the enjoyment.
I tend not to even look at them as AC games or whats written on the (virtual) box now. Instead I just consider whether they are good games or not. AC Origins and AC Odyssey were AC games only in name (especially Odyssey) but I felt that both were very good games. As long as the game itself is good , then I will enjoy it, no matter what naming banner it chooses to wave

Soldato
Feels like they've left it way to long to go to Japan and only done it now after the success of other games set in that period and well Ubisoft shooting themselves in the foot with recent comments and releases.

Soldato
About the size of Origins from what I've read online.

How big was that compared to O/V ? I never actually played that one as I was having a bit of AC burnout and took a break after Syndicate. Odyssey pulled me right back in though and I loved the scale of that game.

Man of Honour
OP
How big was that compared to O/V ? I never actually played that one as I was having a bit of AC burnout and took a break after Syndicate. Odyssey pulled me right back in though and I loved the scale of that game.
In terms of landmass (Odyssey had a lot of sea of course) , I think Origins is about 2/3rds the size of Odyssey. Smaller, but still large.

Associate
Lot of unhappy Japanese gamers as expected. It’s going to flop hard in Japan. The only samurai ranked foreigners in Japanese history were English and a Dutchman.

Man of Honour
OP
Lot of unhappy Japanese gamers as expected. It’s going to flop hard in Japan. The only samurai ranked foreigners in Japanese history were English and a Dutchman.
Odd that those Japanese gamers didnt complain when Nioh was released in 2017 with Yasuke the black samurai in it....or in 2021 when the game Samurai Warrior 5 released with Yasuke the black Samurai in it. One is left wondering if its because of the black samurai or because its Ubisoft.

Associate
Odd that those Japanese gamers didnt complain when Nioh was released in 2017 with Yasuke the black samurai in it....or in 2021 when the game Samurai Warrior 5 released with Yasuke the black Samurai in it. One is left wondering if its because of the black samurai or because its Ubisoft.

Not really the same, Yasuke is the main character in this game.

Man of Honour
OP
Not really the same, Yasuke is the main character in this game.
Ah, so their complaint isnt that there is a Samurai in the game who is black at all then, its just that its one of the main characters that they are against. Interesting.....stupid, but interesting :)

If I was those Japanese gamers, I would be far more worried/interested in whether the game is actually good and fun to play, than what colour the skin is of a character who they spend 90% of the game looking at the back of their helmeted head and cant even see their skin.

Last edited:
Soldato
When do I get to play an Assassins Creed game where I have a choice of being a horse as the main protagonist? Hmmm?

There are ~60 million horses in the world and the lack of equine inclusion by Ubisoft absolutely sickens me. These equinist companies need to be brought to justice.

Back
Top Bottom