Assassins Creed Shadows - AC finally (at last) heads to Japan

Caporegime
Assassins Creed ended for me with Ezio and this trajectory is exactly why I've concluded that this was a good idea.

I sincerely hope Ubisoft stops existing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is Origins still worth checking out? I’ve got it but never got around to playing it. Just worried if would feel like a step back after Ody/Val. Really enjoy the new combat system.
Origins is the best of the recent games for me. The setting is amazing, the world is just the right size, there aren't too many systems and extra fluff. The story is the right length and the most engaging of the 3 with the best characters and performances.

Odyssey is a very close second mind. Valhalla is just a bit too brown and muddy and a slog to get through..... much like life in England at the time I guess. Too many systems, annoying to have to faff about upgrading your settlement to progress the story.

Man of Honour
OP
Origins is the best of the recent games for me. The setting is amazing, the world is just the right size, there aren't too many systems and extra fluff. The story is the right length and the most engaging of the 3 with the best characters and performances.

Odyssey is a very close second mind. Valhalla is just a bit too brown and muddy and a slog to get through..... much like life in England at the time I guess. Too many systems, annoying to have to faff about upgrading your settlement to progress the story.
Definitely agree on the AC Origins characters, Bayek is awesome, would love another AC game with more of Bayeks story

Associate
I actually cannot even remember if any of the previous AC games have required an always online connection or not
Thought the 1st game was an early adopter of this. Remember reading about high piracy rate of the game due to the requirement, or might have been due to drm.

Man of Honour
OP
I'll probably try this when there's another cheap month of Ubisoft plus or whether it's called.
Definitely the best way to play this I would say, all the content for £14.99 a month, lets face it many people would finish it within a month so they can have the game, play it, finish it, all for just £15, instead of whatever the RRP is. Its a reason why I cant understand why there are some quarters of the internet who are up in arms screaming that Ubisoft is making us pay £130 for the game...er...no , no they arent, £15 yes, £130...no, but dramatic video titles = clicks :)

Soldato
Definitely the best way to play this I would say, all the content for £14.99 a month, lets face it many people would finish it within a month so they can have the game, play it, finish it, all for just £15, instead of whatever the RRP is. Its a reason why I cant understand why there are some quarters of the internet who are up in arms screaming that Ubisoft is making us pay £130 for the game...er...no , no they arent, £15 yes, £130...no, but dramatic video titles = clicks :)

That's a very naive approach to the problem. And yes, it's a big probem.

If you can't see it, then you're part of it.

Soldato

Yeah exactly, I'd only buy a Ubi title on offer, or £15 is ok for one month max. I've done it once in the last two years.

I know I don't agree with above about it being a "big problem". It's a video game. There are far bigger problems, get a grip.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am working my way through the AC franchise for the first time (yes I know I am very late to the party but real life and all that).

Done AC1, AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations... AC3 installed. Reckon I can get them all complete by Nov? (I try and do as close to 100% as possible on them)

Man of Honour
OP
That's a very naive approach to the problem. And yes, it's a big probem.

If you can't see it, then you're part of it.
Then I guess I am part of it because I dont see it. I can pay £15 for the game, play it, complete it. Seems good to me. I'm afraid if theres a problem there, you'll have to explain to me what it is and why it is a problem.

Last edited:
Soldato
Then I guess I am part of it because I dont see it. I can pay £15 for the game, play it, complete it. Seems good to me. I'm afraid if theres a problem there, you'll have to explain to me what it is and why it is a problem.

I'm legit not sure if you're serious mate... :D

Edit: If you want, I am seriously happy jumping on a disco call to explain my view and why I think the pricing (let's just call it what it is, it's a SaaS scaling model, entice to subscribe) model is predatory and overall, a terrible approach to how games should be owned/rented. It's a lot to write down why the gaming industry is ****** at the AAA level.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I'm legit not sure if you're serious mate... :D

Edit: If you want, I am seriously happy jumping on a disco call to explain my view and why I think the pricing (let's just call it what it is, it's a SaaS scaling model, entice to subscribe) model is predatory and overall, a terrible approach to how games should be owned/rented. It's a lot to write down why the gaming industry is ****** at the AAA level.
I'm serious yeah, for £15 I can get the game and complete it, which is a good price for a new title for me. I "own" 468 games on Steam, probably 400 of those I will never play again so their value to me is zilch. Prior to steam, I bought hard copies of probably over 1000 games (if not more) in the last 40+ years, almost none (if any) I will ever play again, so again although I own them, their value to me is zero. "Owning" a title is no longer an important thing for me, because the value of owning a title is negligible, all the matters is the cost to me of playing and finishing a game and for that purpose, £15 for AC Shadows is great (as is my MS Gamepass account and all the games I have played on that for a token price compared to the RRP of said games)

Soldato
I'm serious yeah, for £15 I can get the game and complete it, which is a good price for a new title for me. I "own" 468 games on Steam, probably 400 of those I will never play again so their value to me is zilch. Prior to steam, I bought hard copies of probably over 1000 games (if not more) in the last 40+ years, almost none (if any) I will ever play again, so again although I own them, their value to me is zero. "Owning" a title is no longer an important thing for me, because the value of owning a title is negligible, all the matters is the cost to me of playing and finishing a game and for that purpose, £15 for AC Shadows is great (as is my MS Gamepass account and all the games I have played on that for a token price compared to the RRP of said games)

As you said, suits you and I'm never gonna **** on someone's fire, which is why I said you are being naive as you may be able to finish a title in a month, I know I can't with the limited time I have lol.

My main gripe is how it's become the standard to subscribe to games and in the above quote, it gives a great example. You've accumulated a number of games via steam which yea, I agree with is still iffy given you 'own' them (can't be removed from your library if it's on store or not) but not truly own. But let's say you paid a subscription to gain access to those titles (assuming only one sub gets you all titles.....), add that up over the 40+ years and suddenly it's a pretty large number. Of which you're subscribed to a service in this example so who's to say it doesn't change and 'old' games just get removed.

The problem isn't now, it's to come and it scares me that it isn't obvious, thankfully it's only the big greedy buggers like Ubi trying this on for size.

Everything is subscription based and on face value it's worth it. Chuck in all the extras and dlc in this case to entice the player to sub. They play it over a few weeks, maybe a couple of months, great value... But in the industry, the money is always going to be better capturing subs as people just forget to cancel.

I agree, if you are smart and cancel after subscribing then go at it, indeed it's a good bargain. But again, my problem isn't for this specific title, or this specific scenario, its at the problem of gaming becoming just another reoccurring cost to my bank every month with in game purchases such as season passes and the likes to keep up to date also taking chunk of my money.... That's not how I want to play my games in the years this will happen.

When I talk about this I normally get, 'just don't pay for it then'. Yea, thanks, but if I want to remain paying what RRP should be for a game, I'm now starting to get scalped of content for it. It's wrong. And it's getting worse.

Man of Honour
OP
As you said, suits you and I'm never gonna **** on someone's fire, which is why I said you are being naive as you may be able to finish a title in a month, I know I can't with the limited time I have lol.

My main gripe is how it's become the standard to subscribe to games and in the above quote, it gives a great example. You've accumulated a number of games via steam which yea, I agree with is still iffy given you 'own' them (can't be removed from your library if it's on store or not) but not truly own. But let's say you paid a subscription to gain access to those titles (assuming only one sub gets you all titles.....), add that up over the 40+ years and suddenly it's a pretty large number. Of which you're subscribed to a service in this example so who's to say it doesn't change and 'old' games just get removed.

The problem isn't now, it's to come and it scares me that it isn't obvious, thankfully it's only the big greedy buggers like Ubi trying this on for size.

Everything is subscription based and on face value it's worth it. Chuck in all the extras and dlc in this case to entice the player to sub. They play it over a few weeks, maybe a couple of months, great value... But in the industry, the money is always going to be better capturing subs as people just forget to cancel.

I agree, if you are smart and cancel after subscribing then go at it, indeed it's a good bargain. But again, my problem isn't for this specific title, or this specific scenario, its at the problem of gaming becoming just another reoccurring cost to my bank every month with in game purchases such as season passes and the likes to keep up to date also taking chunk of my money.... That's not how I want to play my games in the years this will happen.

When I talk about this I normally get, 'just don't pay for it then'. Yea, thanks, but if I want to remain paying what RRP should be for a game, I'm now starting to get scalped of content for it. It's wrong. And it's getting worse.
Yeah, I do at least 50 hours per week gaming, sometimes more, so I can easily finish even the largest of titles in a month :)

Subscriptions dont bother me, I actually rather like them because it gets me so many titles for such a small price (MS Gamepass being a key one for that goodness). Problem might be worse in decades to come as you point out but I will be dead then so I dont care lol

Soldato
The story in AC has got all rather convoluted over the series and frankly all a bit silly lol, but the crux of it as far as I remember is something to do with a potentially alien race , present on Earth 100,000 years ago, hiding artifacts around the planet which can give humans who have them god like super powers, or something like that. Basically someone raided the mind of Stan Lee :)

I played and finished Origins recently. It was the first AC game I had played more than about an hour of. I own all of the mainline games up to that (got them all free at some point over the years)

The stuff in Egypt was great fun but I really didn't like the stuff back in the real world. It just kept on breaking the immersion for me. Is that the same in the other games?

Man of Honour
OP
I played and finished Origins recently. It was the first AC game I had played more than about an hour of. I own all of the mainline games up to that (got them all free at some point over the years)

The stuff in Egypt was great fun but I really didn't like the stuff back in the real world. It just kept on breaking the immersion for me. Is that the same in the other games?
I'm with you on that really, the "modern" stuff is my least favourite part and I usually try to get through those bits as fast as possible to get back to the older era sections

Back
Top Bottom