Assetto Corsa VR - 9/10

Associate
OP
What wheels, pedals and shifters are you guys using?

I'm on a t500rs wheel, pedals and th8a shifter. Its very good but may look to upgrade at some point!

Associate
Same here, I also have a gt omega rig, running Sim Commander and 4 transponders in chassis mode...I was running triple 24" screens but they'll be going up for sale soon now that I have the oculus.

Associate
Osw wheel with fanatec pedals, sq shifter and handbrake. Highly recommend the osw it's unbelievable. The sq shifter is really nice as well

Associate
Recently upgraded from T500RS to OSW (the sim-pli.city variety, plus Martin Ascher shifter/buttonplate). It should come with a heads-up that initial impressions might be you've wasted a monumental amount of money, however after dialing in the settings (there are many, and they're confusing) I'm incredibly happy with it.

I had meant to carry on using the T500 pedals but the Thrustmaster adapter to make them a standalone device wasn't available anywhere. Solution was Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Pro. I *really* hope that's me done with spending on this stuff for a good while.

Associate
I have to say in VR terms I think Assetto Corsa beats PCars, I really love Pcars but in VR it just always looks ugly, in 2d it's amazing, and even though PCars has been with VR for longer this just looks better. just a shame I'm not very good at it :)

Soldato
The game was great using ReVive, didn't realise it had been patched lately as haven't had the gaming PC on!
Will need to un-ReVive and give it a go!
This game in VR with good headphones is ultimate immersion! I felt it was a lot easier to play like this also.

Associate
I'm itching to try Assetto Corsa in VR now I have a GTX1080.
Is it worth waiting for a 2nd gen Oculus Rift though? It's still £500 for the what is still really the 1st gen model.

Soldato
There's no real rumours of an upgraded/second gen headset coming from either Oculus or HTC really, so looking at 6+ months at a guess for anything there. Almost seems at the moment both (and third parties) are working more on things like wireless display tech and foveated rendering rather than upgrading the headset itself.

I think it's LG are bringing out a SteamVR capable headset with higher res panels 'soon' though so might be worth waiting for that.

Soldato
I'm itching to try Assetto Corsa in VR now I have a GTX1080.
Is it worth waiting for a 2nd gen Oculus Rift though? It's still £500 for the what is still really the 1st gen model.

Go and try both, people keep going on about lack of res but honestly once you are in game the immersion more than makes up for it, the 1080 will allow for some SS too.

Also worth noting the CV1 is actually a 3rd/4th gen headset, you had the DK1 and DK2, there was also another headset after the DK2 that was never released but rumoured to be pretty close to the CV1, it was that headset that made me wait for the CV1 release.

Soldato
Worth keeping in mind, any generation next product will likely carry the same kind of premium price that the rift/vive had. Id imagine there would still be the kind of resale market the dk2 enjoyed.

Assetto corsa is aces though, I ended up spending more on sim racing gear, then I did on the vive.

Associate
I like Project Cars because I don't like how Assetto Corsa it jumps out of the headset back to my 4k screen in the menus or is it just mine

Associate
I love the way both games drive, especially now that I've found FFB settings, in conjunction with the Jack Spade tweaker files for Project Cars that bring it closer to AC FFB, that was a win and what a revelation!

In terms of ease of use Project Cars wins hand down though. I have nothing but trouble getting AC up and running, when I was running triple screens and especially in VR, although it's better now than it was. I lose my controller config all the time, on triples the screen bounces around before deciding which screen to appear on (not always the same one). I don't know, in some ways it still feels like a Beta to me. Project Cars just works each and every time I switch it on...and VR was there as native support, it just worked. I don't get enough game time to faff around with AC, which is why I end up playing PCars.

Soldato
AC VR implementation is pretty good but how do you remap the reset head position button? I've looked a couple of times in controls but can't seem to find it. Biggest problem I have with AC though is the AI, great for hotlaps but can't race with them.

Back
Top Bottom