ASUS AUF mobo with 7900X cpu temps

The non-X was my choice as I wouldn’t be okay running a CPU at 95C 24/7, even if it is intended to do so, according to AMD. Running on Eco mode you pretty much turn the 7900x into an 7900. And turning PBO will pretty much turn the 7900 into the 7900X, but will be few exceptions.
On another note, the fact that the newly released 9000 series doesn’t boost to 95C as standard makes me wonder if that behaviour was a good choice to begin with.

Yeah, 95c just doesn’t seem healthy..

Yeah, 95c just doesn’t seem healthy..
I could be wrong and maybe someone else like @Tetras can weigh in on the matter but both Intel and AMD have changed it so that their CPUs are designed to run at 95 degrees safely as then they can max out the architecture of the CPU.

Both companies have been trying really hard get every little bit out of their products so gone are the days of the i7-2600K when you could overclock it by huge amounts and the out of the box temperatures were “normal” and anything approaching 90 degrees was too high.

I could be wrong and maybe someone else like @Tetras can weigh in on the matter but both Intel and AMD have changed it so that their CPUs are designed to run at 95 degrees safely as then they can max out the architecture of the CPU.

Both companies have been trying really hard get every little bit out of their products so gone are the days of the i7-2600K when you could overclock it by huge amounts and the out of the box temperatures were “normal” and anything approaching 90 degrees was too high.

My 610E was running at 29 degrees yesterday. Passive tower heatsink with no fan, a single 12cm low RPM case fan, no intake fan :D :D

Yeah, in the video I linked that der8auer did with the Intel engineer, they talk about how things have changed. I haven't watched the video in awhile, but there are quite a few factors:
  • The die density, where you have lots of cores and other stuff packed in a teeny tiny area, which is hard to get the heat out of.
  • The high-end chips using relatively a lot more power than they used to, for the same reason of packing all this stuff into the CPU.
  • The perspective that when you're under the max temperature it is wasted performance, leading to having a "temperature target" by design.
  • The improvements in being able to measure the temperature of the CPU (particularly the hotspots), which leads to safer running (or less safety margin being needed) at high temperatures than before.
Intel and AMD both consider it safe to run their CPUs on the redline with the turbo algorithm clipping the max frequency.

just trying out eco 65w mode.

I’m still getting 5.5ghz under moderate and gaming load..when I pushed it to all core on the 7900x it didn’t leave the 40s!
Although it did down lock to around 4.3ghz but I’m not looking for productivity from the system anyways.

The main thing is I’m on am5 and can drop a x3d chip in down the line if I wish!

just trying out eco 65w mode.

I’m still getting 5.5ghz under moderate and gaming load..when I pushed it to all core on the 7900x it didn’t leave the 40s!
Although it did down lock to around 4.3ghz but I’m not looking for productivity from the system anyways.

The main thing is I’m on am5 and can drop a x3d chip in down the line if I wish!

Have you tried in addition to Eco Mode using a Negative Curve Optimiser? Try -20

It should allow the CPU to boost a little higher due to the undervolt even within 65W Eco Mode.

Did you tailor your Fan Curve yet?

Have you tried in addition to Eco Mode using a Negative Curve Optimiser? Try -20

It should allow the CPU to boost a little higher due to the undervolt even within 65W Eco Mode.

Did you tailor your Fan Curve yet?

Will do that tomorrow mate. Today was the first I put 100% load onto it to see where I was at.

Back
Top Bottom