** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Associate
German sites Computerbase and PCGamesHardware report that ASUS confirms them the recall.
The articles also link this general RMA site https://eu-rma.asus.com/pick_eu/uk/

I also wrote in some thread that firmware updates for high end monitors (with lots of features) via USB port should be standard.

I just can't understand why the manufacturers don't implement that feature.

BenQ also had a firmware problem a while ago.
Customers have to ship in their screen.
That's pure horror. Who wants to give away his screen for like 2 weeks and waste hours for shipping and papers.
EDIT: the german sites write that a delivery service instantly exchanges old an firmware screen with a new one, so no waiting for a firmware update.
But might depend on the country too.

ASUS: also give the customers easy information on the packaging if a screen at a shop got the firmware update!

Last edited:
Associate
Ok couldn't resist, so opened the box and took her for a spin.

First off, no UK power plug. Only euro 2pin. Not a good start.

Fish out a UK 3pin, plug in and power up.

Uh oh...

Screen seems to be having a seizure. White background and flickering like crazy. Appears to be a dead pixel centre left also. Tried to get the monitor to detect my PC. No luck.

Too busy right now to persevere but first impressions not good to say the least.

Associate
Yes, it powers on fine. Does the asus logo start up animation. Blank screen. Only a mini DP cable in the box so I had to manually select mini DP input in the options. Then the monitor goes into disco/epilepsy-inducing mode.

Associate
Strange that OcUK allowed them to be sold when clearly Asus have arranged for all the units to be shipped back to them due to faults. I have found at least 6 websites that have stated this some more than 2 weeks ago.

Caporegime
Any Radeon users with a FreeSync capable GPU and this monitor should use our latest driver, which adds FreeSync support for this monitor.

AMD Catalyst™ 15.4.1 Beta for Windows® - AMD FreeSync™ technology updates

This release enables optimisations and fixes for some AMD FreeSync™ technology capable products and displays while retaining all previous updates from the AMD Catalyst™ 15.4 Beta driver.

For more information on AMD FreeSync™ technology, supported products and displays, please visit the official AMD FreeSync™ technology page located here.

For more information on the AMD Catalyst™ 15.4 Beta optimizations included in this release please visit the AMD Catalyst™ 15.4 Beta release notes located here.

The AMD Catalyst™ 15.4.1 Beta Driver can be downloaded from the following link:

AMD Catalyst 15.4.1 Beta Driver for Windows 7 & 8.1 32/64 bit

AMD Issue Reporting Form
This driver release incorporates suggestions received through the AMD Issue Reporting Form. To provide us with your feedback, visit the AMD Issue Reporting Form.

Associate
I wrote some pages back about the problems with mine, I decided to take it back and got a full refund. Resellers here at least don't know anything about the recall. I asked the place of purchase and another shop too, they didn't know.

I will hold on now until reviews pop and the situation clears up so I can confirm if there's some glow in every one of them. I also had a real issue where my screen was a bit too dark to use. Might be a personal preference but I felt the brightness fell really short with MG279Q. I have IPS at work and MG279Q was way too dark for me to work through the day. I use my Swift at 25-32 % brightness and at 100 % the MG279Q was still kinda dark on desktop, in dark mood games it was really hard to spot anything. :O

OcUK Staff
OP
OcUK Staff
OP
Strange that OcUK allowed them to be sold when clearly Asus have arranged for all the units to be shipped back to them due to faults. I have found at least 6 websites that have stated this some more than 2 weeks ago.

Asus informed us today, when our stock landed, hence why they nearly shipped but have now all being re-called for a firmware update. :)

Soldato
That sucks. So much promise, and it is all teetering on a knife edge after this bumpy start. If it's still a decent monitor with good QC then I will buy it, but if it is plagued with issues then my money will go on a 390x (unless that is equally disappointing!)

Associate
Asus requested we pull them, they say the firmware has a fault that causes problems with 144Hz. They are removing all our stock and updating the firmware to fix the issue. :)

No idea on turn around time at the moment.

Bah, I was looking forwards to thus getting dispatched.
Thanks for letting us know :)

Is there any eta at all?
Has this, or something similar, ever happened before & is it likely weeks or months to get sorted?

Associate
If it only comes with a mini DP cable is it best to get a standard cable when you buy it as my GFX card only has full size DP on the back of it

Back
Top Bottom