• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus Dual 4070 Super - Coil whine so bad I will have to return it? Anything I can do/try first?

Soldato
So if the card is running at a high frame rate it literally sings/buzzes a tune it changes from scene to scene. I had it first just moving around the menus in Call of Duty until I selected vsync in Menus.

If I run the Wargame Red Dragon option to test graphics performance it literally sings different squealing notes because I assume it's running a max frame rate as it tries difference scenes to test performance.

So far, if I vsync in games, the buzz it inaudible.

EDIT: Actually - If I try that Wargame Red Dragon test option on my old system with an MSI 1070, I get some squeal on that too, but it's less. Half the volume if not less... Is coil whine predominantly down to very high FPS rather than high work?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
s coil whine predominantly down to very high FPS rather than high work?
It depends, sometimes they even coil whine more at idle :o But, usually it is high FPS and not high work, yeah. High work is often good for mitigating coil whine, because the FPS is low.

Undervolting or power limiting can have a surprisingly large (mostly positive) influence on coil whine too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it definitely coming from your GPU. A psu can also do it. I didn't notice it on this PSU i have until i upgrade the gpu and now its pulling more power.

Anyway, i have read that if you loop a stress test like furmark for a while it can 'bed them in' not sure how true that is tho

Associate
This is the absolute worst aspect of buying a GPU nowadays, and there's no way to avoid it except blind luck.

"Solutions" involve reducing your framerate or power consumption/performance to levels below what the card was sold at.

At best you will be lucky enough to undervolt your GPU to get the stock performance at -15% wattage and reduce the whine to manageable levels. Mostly I found you need to fine tune an undervolt and reduce performance by 5-10% and wattage by 25-30% to reduce it enough. This is with the experience of maybe a dozen GPU's over the last few years (mining boom).

It's a complete crapshoot, you can buy the exact same card from the exact same manufacturer and one will be sweet and silent with the other screeching at you like a jilted girlfriend.

As you might have guessed I am so bloody sick of this situation. Manufacturers need to sort it out as I'm tempted to stay with my relatively low whining 7900XT indefinitely.

Soldato
OP
I think it's going to have to go back to Overclockers :(

If I run Red Dead Redemption for example, which is pretty much vsync locked at 60fps at the moment, there's a constant very audible buzz/whine which I can hear from across the room :( Will it reduce/go with time?

Risk another replacement Asus Dual 4070 Super, or go for something else?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
What's odd, is even with Red Dead Redemption 2, vsync'd to 60fps, with the gpu being used well under 50%, there's a very audible buzz that goes up and down slighlty in tone as the scene changes...

Turn off vsync, and it gets even louder...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Will it reduce/go with time?
Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. If it is really bad, I'd be surprised if it did.

People on here have reported success doing things like this:
Anyway, i have read that if you loop a stress test like furmark for a while it can 'bed them in' not sure how true that is tho
But, it's kind of kill or cure :o

Buildzoid on coil whine:

Soldato
OP
I've played around for hours and even tried Asus GPU Tweak all to no effect. The buzz/whine is untenable. Requesting a replacement/return etc :(

Soldato
If its new and you still have the option to return/reject it then do it.

Not only have you got to live with it, it will effect its resale if you ever try to sell it.

Soldato
OP
That was interesting.

I plugged the monitor into the onboard motherboard/GPU, NOT THE 4070, and booted up and ran Red Dead Redemption 2... and COIL WHINE.

I had to take the 4070 out of the PC and repeat the above to then get no coil whine, and the expected much lower FPS.

So clearly, even though I was plugged into the onboard GPU, when I ran a game, the 4070 was being utilised/used! Interesting!

Soldato
OP
Ryzen 7000 has undocumented passthrough :D
Made me thing the motherboard was the culprit of the buzzing for a moment, until I worked out even though the monitor was plugged into the motherboard, the NVidia 4070 was clearly still be used for the graphics... :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom