• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus HD 7970 Matrix Platinum 3072MB GDDR5 **IN STOCK**

Soldato
GPUZ will NOT read the CHL8228 regulator correctly. I tested this with a multi-meter.

Regardless of what I applied to my 7970 GPUZ would read out 1.175v, afterburner would read it correctly.

Soldato
The voltage control is regulated by Bios on cards guys.

I was under the impression in the case of the lightning combined with the LN2 bios that it was soft-locked via afterburner to 1.35v hard locked to 1.8v?

If it is bios locked on the 'LN2' bios then MSI have been very devious with their advertising of the card.

Last edited:
Associate
hey guys, i just got payed and this card looks fantastic!! ive been wanting to replace my 5870 for agessss. and this card is making my mouth water. especially with the games package with it! only problem is, i use HDMI sound and then optical from my tv to my amp. im sure sound doesnt work over DVI. so is there a display port to HDMI adapter in the box?

Associate
Unfortunately it looks like OCUK can't be bothered to dispatch my card for some reason. It was on a pre 12 delivery for this morning but they didn't dispatch it. I've called them twice today to be told that it will be with me tomorrow morning and there was no problem with payment but as I haven't had a dispatch note it looks like I won't be getting it.

Poobags!

I'm a little miffed but its not the end of the world really.

Regards
Fred

Associate
Unfortunately it looks like OCUK can't be bothered to dispatch my card for some reason. It was on a pre 12 delivery for this morning but they didn't dispatch it. I've called them twice today to be told that it will be with me tomorrow morning and there was no problem with payment but as I haven't had a dispatch note it looks like I won't be getting it.

Poobags!

I'm a little miffed but its not the end of the world really.

Regards
Fred

I have to admit I used to be the same when something didn't turn up on time but these days so much happening i often forget things are next day delivery hehe Amazon prime for example !

Associate
I'm not sure myself (haven't decided to exchange for it or not) and I don't really pay attention to the display ports.

But both mdp-> hdmi, and dp -> hdmi are the same price.

*waiting patiently for OC results* :cool:

Associate
oh i may be in luck! am i right in thinking, one of the DVI ports on this card is acturaly HDMI in disguise? (does audio n stuff) because i have a DVI to HDMI cable!

Most modern DVI do transmit audio (forgot the technical term DVI D or something), but you'll need to hook up a 2 pin from SPDIF out on your Onboard/<insert internal sound card> to the 2 pin on your card.

Most of the time I use an external DAC though; but I do remember back then wasting like 10 mins (was way too cramped) to plug that SPDIF out to my ancient gtx 260. Do they still make the 2 pin SPDIF in on moderm card? :p

Caporegime
Most modern DVI do transmit audio (forgot the technical term DVI D or something), but you'll need to hook up a 2 pin from SPDIF out on your Onboard/<insert internal sound card> to the 2 pin on your card.

Some NVIDIA cards had the 2 pin S/PDIF connector for audio, not sure if this is the case with current cards which already have HDMI connectors.

Older ATI cards carried audio through spare pins on the DVI connecter and you could use a special ATI DVI to HDMI adapter to get the audio, does this still apply to current AMD cards?

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, a display is as good as a hdmi, well it's better in fact as it has a lot more bandwidth a decent display larger resolutions, depending ofcourse if you have a display port.

Associate
Excellent! thanks guys! this clears things up a lot for me, cant wait to buy this! only wish it wasn't the weekend, oh the suspense! it looks like an absolute tank. drooling at that pcb...

Just Bought myself one! couldnt wait, it was causing the cash to burn holes in my pocket. now to look at benchmarks and reviews for next 3 days while itching with anticipation xD

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi 1300MHz, just ramped up the sliders basically. There is one issue though. I do not know what voltage it's running at....1332mv is what GPUTweak has set, but detected is lower and when i use the buttons on the board, it sometimes detects the changes... lol.

Either way

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4771755

SCORE
P12244 3DMarks
GRAPHICS SCORE
PHYSICS SCORE
COMBINED SCORE

7970mp13003dm2011.png

Will push further later.

Back
Top Bottom