Asus RT-N66U, rubbish or faulty?

Soldato
Latest firmware borked things for me aswell (on the 5Ghz frequency). Kept dropping out, but completely fixed since moving to latest Merlin firmware. Like his bug fixes and additional features (i.e. being able to check out which connected devices are by name rather than just MAC address). Don't think I'd go back to using Asus firmware now, Merlin is much more reliable.

Soldato
i seee... so if i wanted to return to .220 i'd install the firmware form asus then do a hard reset.

but if i wanted to install this merlin i'd just update the firmware?

"RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_246.20.zip"

that the latest? can i just flash that straight over the asus .260 i have on there atm? worth doing a hard reset just incase?

Soldato
Yes sorry mate, meant the new 260 firmware sucks. Its well documented on the support forums that its borked the WIFI.

You only need to do a complete hard reset (yes, pin in the back) if you upgraded from 220 or earlier firmware.

No need to downgrade - just install the latest merlin firmware from here and it fixes it - much more reliable and some sexy new features ;)

http://www.lostrealm.ca/tower/node/79

Going to try the merlin firmware

Soldato
i seee... so if i wanted to return to .220 i'd install the firmware form asus then do a hard reset.

but if i wanted to install this merlin i'd just update the firmware?

"RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_246.20.zip"

that the latest? can i just flash that straight over the asus .260 i have on there atm? worth doing a hard reset just incase?

yup - I performed a straight forward install of that file and it kept my settings too :)

Soldato
awesomeness :) shall try that when i get home tonight :D was really getting to me!!! checked the changelog and it says they downgraded the wifi drivers to the .220 release to fix issues.... silly asus.... :p

Man of Honour
Not encouraging :| I just picked one of these up for my infinity install on Wed (according to the sticker on the box its the 220 FW - haven't tried using it yet). Not a great fan of Asus but in terms of feature support it seems better than anything else <£200. If its that rubbish I'll prolly bite the bullet and get one of the Draytek routers.

Soldato
No probs here using latest Merlin firmware. Only ever used to get drop outs using my SGS3 on the latest official firmware, otherwise everything else has been working fine.

I use a laptop, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, SGS3 and the wifey's Kindle HD all on WIFI without any issues throughout the whole house all on 5Ghz ;)

Soldato
Anyone had any issues with getting the WiFi to enable? Just got the DSL-N55U and I've setup the 2x WiFi spots (2.4 and 5GHz) but they just say "WiFi: Disabled" and I can't seem to figure out why? I'm using WPA2-Personal and the same WiFi Password as my old router which works fine..

Although if I look in my System Log I see this error, which I think may tie in to this?

Code:
Dec  3 17:29:49 kernel: Key1Str is Invalid key length(0) or Type(0)
Dec  3 17:29:49 kernel: Key2Str is Invalid key length(0) or Type(0)
Dec  3 17:29:49 kernel: Key3Str is Invalid key length(0) or Type(0)
Dec  3 17:29:49 kernel: Key4Str is Invalid key length(0) or Type(0)

EDIT: Wow I feel like a muppet! Just found out there is a flicky switch for the WiFi on the back.. Oops.. :D

Last edited:
Associate
Mine works fine. Although having read all of this I just did update to Merlin and I can't really see much difference.

The default firmware does have the power of the WiFi turned down, so I just set both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz to the maximum allowed (100 and 200 respectively).

Associate
I've just changed my ultra reliable rock solid but ageing DLink router for one of these and so far it has been a frustrating experience - the UI is poor, inconsistent and buggy.

Port forwarding sometimes works, sometimes doesn't and even more worryingly sometimes forwards to the wrong IP address :confused:
The 'client list' and various drop-down lists of devices are inconsistent, sometimes missing devices and sometimes showing DNS/netbios names, sometimes not. The DHCP reservation list doesn't show names or have anywhere to even manually type in a name (like anybody can remember which mac address is which device). And the PPTP VPN is just flaky - works some times and no others (confirmed from mac, windows, iphone and android). I've not even bothered with the more advanced features as these basics are so unreliable.

Is this a common thing or is mine just faulty? I'm running the latest firmware and have factory-defaulted a few times.

I had exactly the same issue with my Asus router when I tried changing from my rock solid D-Link DIR-655 a few months ago. I posted on here and got flamed by the Asus fan boys all running custom firmware for not downloading it and trying it.

Why should you have to download a custom firmware to get this router running reliably? True that some people will just plug it in and it will work and others have problems and then just use custom firmware.

Man of Honour
Got mine setup now (220 FW) and so far (hopfully I don't Jinx myself) its been problem free out the box, setup in seconds and everything working as expected and so far no stability issues.

Man of Honour
Highly reccomend putting the latest (or 246 version with 220 radio driver) merlin firmware on this router (if you don't want to mess about with tomato or DDWRT) as the latest official one has some horrid issues with wireless slowdowns and requires a reboot every day if you do much involving fetching server lists in games, torrents, etc.

220 seemed to work ok out the box but was requiring constant reboots if anyone did anything that involved lots of connections.

EDIT: Still having some slowdown issues with the wireless on this laptop but seems to be related to having throughput enhancement enabled seems to be faster again after disabling that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom