Asus UL30A

Man of Honour
My wireless seems OK (using it now). Not sure how easy it is to get at the wireless card to fit that.

Sadly mine has to go back again as some doofus forgot to reconnect the speakers when putting it back together. Here's hoping they don't notice the CPU. ;)

Edit - Having seen that HP video, I'd best cut them some slack. :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
Associate
slightly off topic, but...

my old laptop (pre-asus) is slowly dying with possibly a corrupt harddrive and system files. I wanted to format and reinstall vista but dont have an original vista install disk.

I do however have an original xp disk i could install, just wondered if it was possible to download something to install vista. whether this is legal or not i dont know, but i can use the product key on the bottom of the laptop

Soldato
For anyone who has fitted a SSD, how long does it take to get to desktop now?

I'm on the original install (with some of the junk un-installed) and it takes an age to get to desktop, and shut down.

Soldato
about 15 seconds. (I have a Samsung SSD PB22-J 128GB).

Download bootracer to time it, check if it's set in AHCI mode, and run AS SSD / windows experience index (should be well over 7 for the drive) to see if anything's afoot.

I did a full re-install though.

Last edited:
Associate
In response to any potential wireless issues, i'm getting approx 60mbps download over wireless with my UL30A (100 meg halls internet) - which I think is the limit of my router, so all seems well in that department for me at least.

Associate
The two finger scrolling is still driving me crazy!

when scrolling through my bookmarks in firefox it will often suddenly jump to the next drop down menu, or, most annoyingly, jump back to the top of the list! (i have a lot of bookmarks)

am i likely to be doing anything wrong?
i believe the touch pad is an 'ELAN smart pad V2.2' and the driver is up to date, 'ETDware 7.0.5.12.

Associate
Just have a quick query if anyone can help.

When my ul30 is sitting idle and eventually the screen turns off (screen saver) after a few minutes the hard drive seems to start up, flashing light and audible.

What could be going on here?
Its not set up to hibernate or anything like that, and as far as i can tell theres no maybe processes running in the background. When its idle with the screen on its silent :confused:

Back
Top Bottom