• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Athlon 64 X2 - Windows only recognises one core. Help!

Associate
most strange, i have the same motherboard as you & other than updating the bios to the most current stable beforehand i only had to take out the 3500+ and drop in the X2, and it was insta-dual-core/multiprocessor without any changes done to XP by myself. :o

Associate
OP
lumpeh said:
most strange, i have the same motherboard as you & other than updating the bios to the most current stable beforehand i only had to take out the 3500+ and drop in the X2, and it was insta-dual-core/multiprocessor without any changes done to XP by myself. :o

D'oh, then I guess its a bodged processor. Are you using the 1016 BIOS? Heh, you even had the same processor I upgraded from.

Associate
Well to put you CPU score bluntly, my Intel P4 550J 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB 1mb Cache gets 941 Marks in the CPU test, so I guess your CPU is definetely being limited to 1 core, it should eat my P4 alive at stock speeds.

Also I am no pc whizz so I cannot help you :( but to summarise, your CPU is only running on 1 core.

Associate
deathwalker666 said:
Ok, I just ran 3D Mark 06 and recieved a CPU score of 799. Im pretty certain that a dual core CPU should be getting a much higher score than that right?

Toms CPU charts

From that it looks like it is running off 1 core. You will have no problems get it replaced so dont worry too much.Hard luck :(

Associate
OP
ns400r said:
What does the latest version of CPU-Z(1.38) say?
But if the bios only sees one core, your fighting a losing battle.
Plan C, what is actually written on the top of the CPU? Full code.

Haha mate...The thought struck me yesterday that the damn thing might not even be a dual core, but yeah, I did check the code and it definately matches up to the 4400+ x2 model.

Here is a screenshot from the latest version of CPUZ. Very worrying is the fact that the 'code name', 'package' and 'technology' fields are all blank. CPUZ Results

But yeah, the reason I was worried about getting a refund was because it was purchased from a well known auction site, and Im unsure of their policies if the seller refuses to give a refund.

It does seem to be a losing battle though, Im going to try it on my mates 939 board tommorow and see what happens on that. But yeah, thanks for all the great help, and if anyone has anymore suggestions, Ill give it a try. :)

Suspended
Update BIOS
Fresh install of Windows.

That should work. Perhaps if you've installed Windows then flashed BIOS Windows hasen't reset the CPU device and detected the new core.

Associate
OP
squiffy said:
Update BIOS
Fresh install of Windows.

That should work. Perhaps if you've installed Windows then flashed BIOS Windows hasen't reset the CPU device and detected the new core.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I was using the latest (Reliable) BIOS for a while even before I got the CPU, and then I did indeed perform a fresh install of Windows, with no luck. :(

I just recieved an e-mail from the seller saying he will not replace it, so Ive opened a dispute with the afforementioned website.....

Associate
OP
Ok, Ive done a bit of research, and it does seem that if one of the cores was dead, the CPU would not boot at all, so all I can think of now is that theres a problem with my motherboard.... Should it display two processors in the BIOS also?

Associate
I know that you must've thought of that, but can you borrow a dual core from someone who has used it so far or even better, take your CPU to someone with S939 board who has used dual core before?

The Home edition of XP Windows as Deceptiuon pointed out could be the culprit too (any chances for Win XP Pro just to try it out?).

Good luck!

Associate
OP
Deception said:
Which version of windows are you using, as home doesnt support Dual core processors... Well from what I can remember.

Thanks for the suggestion. I dont know whether thats correct or not but anyhow, Im using XP pro, so it shouldnt really matter. Also, that still wouldnt explain why my BIOS isnt recognising the two processors either.

Zomb, Ill try reseating the CPU when I get home from work. When you say reset the BIOS, do you mean removing the battery on the mobo? Also, Im going to try it on my mates 939 board tonight, so Ill keep you posted with the results!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
z0mbi3 said:
I mean move the jumper to the clear position for a few seconds then move it back again.

Oh ok, thats an interesting point. Ive never performed this before, do I do this while the PC is off? And do I need to turn it on at all once the jumper has been moved to the clear position? Cheers mate

Back
Top Bottom