• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI Crossfire Help

Associate
It really beats me why people post on here asking for advice - and then stubbornly refuse to follow anything they don't want to hear.

You want to spend as little as possible on upgrading your machine - yet despite several people's well founded advice, you want to get an additional ATI Pro card to keep up with games over the next year.

Use the money to get a new board and DDR2 RAM rather than a new card and running DDR1.

Soldato
Crossfire is a joke!

ATi Tech:
Hmm so we still have no answer to nVidia's SLi, and we have no designs to tape out a chip with the core logic on?

ATi Tech 2:
Yeah, but why don't we just bodge job a composite chip from silicon image and call it a master card. We can then make this master card hard to get and make people pay through the nose. We can also make it down clock to a slower card if paired up with something slower. However I do warn you that I was dropped on my head as a baby and this could all be a crap idea.

ATi Tech:
Well we need something, lets go for your plan.

Then they actually integrate core logic and make crossfire two. The only thing that sees a benefit to crossfire is 3DMark. Wow weeee.

Even SLi doesn't give you 2* the performance despite paying 2* the money, and crossfire is even worse. The amount of bugs with crossfire is stupid.

I can't even see why you are contemplating even going crossfire??? The only people who get a benefit from crossfire and SLi are nVidia and ATi. Laughing there arses off because muppets keep forking out on their top end SLi/CF capable motherboards and buying two of their cards.

What does the end user get in turn? Fustration that games sometimes don't work the way they should. ATi users get an extra kick in the knackers because they need to wait a month for a new driver just so ATi can have a year.month naming convention. At least nVidia get beta drivers leaked out that sometimes can help.

Unless you give me the reason that you run a 30" + monitor or you're looking to break the world record for 3DMark with the cardsu under LN2 or dry ice then crossfire is pointless for you.

Soldato
crossfire and sli are both a waste of time. when a single card is faster than two of yours together, has better image quality and draws less power, what exactly would hold you back from getting the single card? and dont say because you dont like nvidia because that is an idiotic excuse that a petty fanboy would use.

the best advice you are going to get is to sell your card and by a single, faster card like the 320/640mb 8800gts. If you arent prepared to listen to that advice its fine, but dont go asking the questions:)

Associate
Agree with james.miller, I was in a IT 'enthusiast' shop off TCR in London and overheard the following conversation:-

Customer: "What motherboard should I get?"
Salesperson: <pulls the most expensive mobo he can find from the shelf> "This is the minimum we would recommend. You do want to run 2 graphics cards don't you?"
Customer: "Err, yes, Of Course! Now this RAM, is this, like, any good?"
Salesperson: "Of course"
etc...

:D

Associate
james.miller said:
crossfire and sli are both a waste of time.

Hmm, not sure I agree that 8800 GTX sli is a waste of time if you are running at 2560 x 1600?
But I do agree that given the choice between a dual card and a single card running at the same overall speed, the single card is the way to go.

Soldato
darkblade said:
Hmm, not sure I agree that 8800 GTX sli is a waste of time if you are running at 2560 x 1600?
But I do agree that given the choice between a dual card and a single card running at the same overall speed, the single card is the way to go.

who runs that? i already knew the op doesnt so it wasnt worth mentioning.

Soldato
OP
james.miller said:
the best advice you are going to get is to sell your card and by a single, faster card like the 320/640mb 8800gts. If you arent prepared to listen to that advice its fine, but dont go asking the questions:)

i dont want to get the 8800 as i am waiting to see what the R600 is like, also i dont need a card that powerful yet as i only run games at 1280x1024

Back
Top Bottom