Audeze Mobius - Closed Planar magnetic headphone, gaming headset, head tracking, bluetooth and more!

Soldato
Shame, seems a bit strange to me that you have no control of the Bluetooth but not the end of the world.

That is a work around, not perfect but stops the moaning at least! Thanks

I know, you are right. Biggest thing for me is that you can't have 3D sound and say Teamspeak on wirelessly.

Though your similar dilemma has helped me out, when I'm swearing downstairs and me headset is already paired, so the mrs calls me direct to headset to tell me to STFU.:D

Soldato
Gutted. Was trying to work out why the left ear cup wasn't sitting flush against my head, then noticed this:

NVgL7na.jpg

I've been supremely careful with this since buying it so a bit annoyed right now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Update: Amazon thankfully taking a return/refund. I've ordered my replacement: HyperX Cloud Orbit - it's essentially the same as the Mobius, minus the headtracking (though they do have a 'S' model that includes it).

Soldato
Update: Amazon thankfully taking a return/refund. I've ordered my replacement: HyperX Cloud Orbit - it's essentially the same as the Mobius, minus the headtracking (though they do have a 'S' model that includes it).

That would annoy me. Glad that Amazon sorted you out.

Interesting choice for a replacement. Let us know what you think of the Hyper X when you get them. I wonder how will they compare.

Soldato
Checked mine as soon as I saw your pics. No cracks yet. Someone in your family not sat on by accident?

See it's sorted though.

Let us know how the magnetic planars in that headset compare, we'd be interested ;)

Associate
I've had both the Mobius and the Orbit - think they have identical drivers - pretty much the same headset. They are identical in construction apart from the colour scheme.

Might be imagining it but the only difference I noticed was a very slight difference in the tuning. I felt the Orbit were a little more gaming tuned (slightly more bass maybe) while felt the Mobius were just a fraction better on music. Honestly might have been imagining it though as it literally was so close.

Had to send both back sadly so can't test anymore - electrical hum/ground noise via the mic when using with PS4 via USB was the gamebreaker.

Soldato
After several hours worth of gaming and music, i have to say they seem identical to the Mobius ie fantastic. Really pleased. Visually the only difference i can see is that they are all black, which looks smart, rather than the blue accents from my other pair.

This time i purchase a small/cheap headphone 'hook' that attached to the table so i hang it off that when not in use.

The sound on these Audeze/HyperX headphones are something else. Bass and clarity like nothing else i've tried. It's astonishing really. I don't miss the headtracking, as clever as that was. The software is identical too apart from the HyperX branding and the same process is used for updating the firmware. Over £100 cheaper too which is nice.

Only thing i noticed so far that i don't like (and not sure if it happens on the Morbius) is that when muting on the ear cup you get an audible sound over Discord/Audacity etc. I have a separate mic anyway but worth mentioning. Can someone test their Morbius perhaps?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've decided to take a punt on the Hyperx version of these. I have a wireless arctis pro, but just love that deep bass you get from a set of planars - hopefully these will do the job and I can shift the arctic for not too much of a loss. I've had a pair of LCD-2's before and they were awesome but couldn't justify keeping them, so hopefully these will get me some way to a similar sound.

Soldato
There are a few equalizer presets in the software created by Audeze engineers you can try, with the 'warm' setting I think being the bassiest. But try the default, flat and music to see which type lends itself to your music type. 3D sound 'ON' too for music really creates some decent soundstage.

Glad these seem to be as good, although the originals were always assembled in China.

Associate

I'm surprised you went for the model without the head tracking. I find the head tracking to be one of the best features on the Audeze Mobius. I thought it would feel gimmicky, but it's the complete opposite - it feels very natural and makes it very easy to figure out exactly where noises are coming from.

Soldato
I'm surprised you went for the model without the head tracking. I find the head tracking to be one of the best features on the Audeze Mobius. I thought it would feel gimmicky, but it's the complete opposite - it feels very natural and makes it very easy to figure out exactly where noises are coming from.

Perhaps it's the games i play but i dont feel it gave me any advantage. VR i can totally appreciate it would be fantastic, but not for normal gaming where the headset has surround sound anyway.

Associate
Perhaps it's the games i play but i dont feel it gave me any advantage. VR i can totally appreciate it would be fantastic, but not for normal gaming where the headset has surround sound anyway.

It's not so much that it gives me an advantage (I play Lord Of The Rings Online), but with my previous headset, I found it immersion-breaking when I turned my head, even if was only to look at the second monitor. It felt unnatural that the sound turned with my head, as if the world was spinning around me. The Audeze Mobius sounds completely natural because the sounds stay in the same place when I turn my head. The head tracking does make it a little easier to localise sound sources, but I think that's a secondary benefit. I can certainly see that head tracking would be a must have for VR.

Associate
I thought I'd share my thoughts on my Audeze Mobius. I've owned them for a month now. They replaced a Sennheiser PC 360 that was connected to an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card. The PC 360 and the Xonar were 9 years old. I replaced them because the pots were getting noisy on the headset, making it difficult to change the volume, and people told me there was background interference on the microphone, which I traced to the sound card. I've also used the PC 360 with a Sound BlasterX G6, which I bought to use with my laptop. I play Lord Of The Rings Online (LOTRO) mostly. I also have a pair of Bose QuietComfort 35 noise cancelling headphones, while my wife has a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3 noise cancelling headphones. Our home cinema system is a Yamaha DSP-AX620 AV amplifier, four Monitor Audio Apex A10 speakers, a Monitor Audio Apex A40 centre speaker and a REL Strata III subwoofer.

First, the PC 360. The PC 360, when connected to the Asus Xonar Essence STX, had a similar tonal balance to our home cinema system. The PC 360/Xonar combination sounded every so slightly muddy in comparison to the home cinema system. The positional audio using Dolby Headphone was excellent. It was very easy to forget you were wearing headphones. When connected to the Sound BlasterX G6, the PC 360 sounded cleaner but also brighter and thinner. I didn't think the positional audio was as good with the Sound BlasterX as with the Xonar.

So, to the Audeze Mobius. The Audeze Mobius has a very similar tonal balance to the PC 360/Xonar and the home cinema system. In LOTRO, the positional audio is even better than with the PC 360/Xonar. I really like the head tracking system. With the PC360/Xonar, it felt as if the world was spinning around me when I turned my head. With the Audeze Mobius, it sounds completely natural, as the sounds stay in the same place. It also make it easier to pin-point where noises are coming from, as you can turn your head to confirm the direction. In LOTRO, the sound quality is slightly better with the Audeze Mobius than with the PC 360/Xonar, but I suspect I've reached the limits of the sound quality of the samples used by the game developers. Listening to music, the Audeze sounds a lot better, especially in Hi-Res mode, though it's still a little behind the home cinema system. The Audeze has a very clean, neutral sound with smooth, detailed treble and mid-range. The main difference between the Audeze Mobius and the home cinema system is in the bass. While the Audeze Mobius has excellent bass for a pair of headphones, it lacks nuance in the bass compared to the REL subwoofer. I'm less impressed by the Audeze Mobius for film soundtracks. I can't imagine wanting to listen to a film with the Audeze Mobius. It's a long way behind the film-watching experience on the home cinema system. Finally, I find the Audeze Mobius quite uncomfortable. The PC 360s were extremely light and comfortable, as are the Sony WH-1000XM3s. When I first got the PC 360s, I'd sometimes stand up and start to walk away from the computer because I'd forgotten I was wearing headphones. There's no risk of that with the Audeze Mobius. They're quite heavy. They also have a pronounced clamping effect. I bought the gel-filled ear pads for the Mobius, but I found them even more uncomfortable. They're firmer, making the Audeze Mobius feel even heavier and giving me a headache after about an hour. Audeze seem to acknowledge this is a problem for some. See https://www.audeze.com/blogs/techno...ut-weight-clamping-force-and-earpad-materials. Personally, I'd be willing to trade some audio quality for comfort. I might have been imagining it, but I thought the positional audio was every so slightly better with the gel-filled ear pads, possibly because they bring the diaphragms a little closer to your ears.

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought I'd share my thoughts on my Audeze Mobius. I've owned them for a month now. They replaced a Sennheiser PC 360 that was connected to an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card. The PC 360 and the Xonar were 9 years old. I replaced them because the pots were getting noisy on the headset, making it difficult to change the volume, and people told me there was background interference on the microphone, which I traced to the sound card. I've also used the PC 360 with a Sound BlasterX G6, which I bought to use with my laptop. I play Lord Of The Rings Online (LOTRO) mostly. I also have a pair of Bose QuietComfort 35 noise cancelling headphones, while my wife has a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3 noise cancelling headphones. Our home cinema system is a Yamaha DSP-AX620 AV amplifier, four Monitor Audio Apex A10 speakers, a Monitor Audio Apex A40 centre speaker and a REL Strata III subwoofer.

First, the PC 360. The PC 360, when connected to the Asus Xonar Essence STX, had a similar tonal balance to our home cinema system. The PC 360/Xonar combination sounded every so slightly muddy in comparison to the home cinema system. The positional audio using Dolby Headphone was excellent. It was very easy to forget you were wearing headphones. When connected to the Sound BlasterX G6, the PC 360 sounded cleaner but also brighter and thinner. I didn't think the positional audio was as good with the Sound BlasterX as with the Xonar.

So, to the Audeze Mobius. The Audeze Mobius has a very similar tonal balance to the PC 360/Xonar and the home cinema system. In LOTRO, the positional audio is even better than with the PC 360/Xonar. I really like the head tracking system. With the PC360/Xonar, it felt as if the world was spinning around me when I turned my head. With the Audeze Mobius, it sounds completely natural, as the sounds stay in the same place. It also make it easier to pin-point where noises are coming from, as you can turn your head to confirm the direction. In LOTRO, the sound quality is slightly better with the Audeze Mobius than with the PC 360/Xonar, but I suspect I've reached the limits of the sound quality of the samples used by the game developers. Listening to music, the Audeze sounds a lot better, especially in Hi-Res mode, though it's still a little behind the home cinema system. The Audeze has a very clean, neutral sound with smooth, detailed treble and mid-range. The main difference between the Audeze Mobius and the home cinema system is in the bass. While the Audeze Mobius has excellent bass for a pair of headphones, it lacks nuance in the bass compared to the REL subwoofer. I'm less impressed by the Audeze Mobius for film soundtracks. I can't imagine wanting to listen to a film with the Audeze Mobius. It's a long way behind the film-watching experience on the home cinema system. Finally, I find the Audeze Mobius quite uncomfortable. The PC 360s were extremely light and comfortable, as are the Sony WH-1000XM3s. When I first got the PC 360s, I'd sometimes stand up and start to walk away from the computer because I'd forgotten I was wearing headphones. There's no risk of that with the Audeze Mobius. They're quite heavy. They also have a pronounced clamping effect. I bought the gel-filled ear pads for the Mobius, but I found them even more uncomfortable. They're firmer, making the Audeze Mobius feel even heavier and giving me a headache after about an hour. Audeze seem to acknowledge this is a problem for some. See https://www.audeze.com/blogs/techno...ut-weight-clamping-force-and-earpad-materials. Personally, I'd be willing to trade some audio quality for comfort. I might have been imagining it, but I thought the positional audio was every so slightly better with the gel-filled ear pads, possibly because they bring the diaphragms a little closer to your ears.

Nice review.

I don't have any problem with the comfort, but, everybody's head is different. Good to know that about the gel pads, something always held me back from buying them.

Soldato
Hi dewi,

Tried music with 3D 7.1 on? And for films. Obviously you can't feel the bass like you can from a dedicated subwoofer as they move a lot of air.

The headband itself (not the bottom where it joins the cups where triedandtested's failed above) is virtually unbreakable so if the clamping is too tight leave them over the back of a chair 'stretched' for a few hours for those who found them too tight.

Also make sure you input your head measurements into the software as this will adjust to exactly the right distance for the diaphrams to be processed with no cross over. PLay around with the room ambience for sound stage also.

I find the length adjustment for the cups to be too loose so am constantly having to re adjust them to get the cups over my ears.

I've had many a USB cable fail and bought an expensive 3m one in the end as the supplied one I find is a touch to short.

Soldato
I've had a couple gaming sessions with these now (Hyperx Orbit) and they are excellent. The clarity is far superior to my previous setup the Arctis Wireless. The bass whilst strong and tight doesn't quite go down as low as the LCD 2's did, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. The positional sound is easily the best that I have tried, although it would be nice to be able to mix the voice and chat mix within the headset.

Overall these for a PC are a no-brainer setup.

Associate
I've gone back to the stock pads. The Audeze Mobius with the stock pads is acceptably comfortable, though still a long way behind the Sennheiser PC 360 and the Sony WH-1000XM3 in comfort. I appreciate that everyone's head is different, but I found the gel pads to be extremely uncomfortable.

I really like the 3D audio and the head tracking, which is excellent for Lord Of The Rings Online. I had already input my head measurements into the app, and it did make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom