Audi A4 S Line questions

Soldato
I do find it hard to believe. Where did they get 39mpg from? Someone driving at a constant 65mph on the motorway? That's not 'real world' driving.

i cant see why 70-75mph on the motorway couldnt yield over 39mpg, iirc Fox got that much from his 530i on a run and that included stopping and starting at either end of the journey?

Soldato
How does a 1.5 tonne, 208bhp, big saloon car with automatic, get 39mpg?

Only when driving off a cliff?

MPG figures are a sick marketing joke :rolleyes:

Well the 330CI auto I just drove all the way up the M42/A42 and upto junction 28 on the M1 turned in 39.1mph for that trip, believe it or not. I was just crusing along at either 70 or 50 though, depending on weather I was in the roadworks or not, the engine was hardly doing any work.

I didn't get quite such good economy on the ST220 I drove back though.

Soldato
i cant see why 70-75mph on the motorway couldnt yield over 39mpg, iirc Fox got that much from his 530i on a run and that included stopping and starting at either end of the journey?

That's Fox and his 'eco runs' though. I'm talking real world driving - not sitting at a constant 70mph on cruise. MPG should reflect real world averages not the maximum mpg you could get.

Man of Honour
That's Fox and his 'eco runs' though. I'm talking real world driving - not sitting at a constant 70mph on cruise. MPG should reflect real world averages not the maximum mpg you could get.

I dunno about you but I've always considered a 350 mile journey at the legal speed limit the whole way a real world journey, but hey.

Soldato
You have serious MPG rage :eek:

Aye, the 323i sucks for mpg and I do resent throwing £60-£70 a week into it but then again there's not much alternative at the moment as I go from Bristol to Swindon for work, also London, NCR and Sheffield. So all in all, I reckon I have pretty good experience of real world 'mix of conditions' mpg and its nothing like 39mpg!

Man of Honour
The thing is the usage my car gets I don't get mix of conditions mpg. It either spends its entire life doing short journeys in town, where it returns a whole 20mpg, or I'm using it to drive to the girlfriends which is pretty much 100% motorway and therefore not particularly challenging to cruise the speed limit and return high mpg figures.

I guess the closest to a mix of all roads is Southampton runs, where it gets about 30mpg normally and 27mpg when I was in a real hurry late the other Friday night ;)

Soldato
[TW]Fox;13848753 said:
I dunno about you but I've always considered a 350 mile journey at the legal speed limit the whole way a real world journey, but hey.

That was a gentle weekend cruise in grandad mode! :D Not exactly representative. Why you would be moseying along at 65-70mph on a clear stretch of motorway in a 230bhp 3.0 litre 'sports' saloon for over SIX hours is difficult to know.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That was a gentle weekend cruise in grandad mode! :p Why you would moseying along at 65-70mph on a clear stretch of motorway in a 230bhp 3.0 litre 'sports' saloon is difficult to know. You would have been better off using your OAP's bus pass! ;)

Why not? It's a Motorway. It's full of reps and police cars and ditherers. During the day it's not exactly practical to vanish off into the distance at 100mph, is it? You'll get nicked and/or spend all your time braking hard when a numpty pulls out then accelerating when he moves out of the way. Speeding on the Motorway during the day is utterly pointless.

My last trip, though, back from Bristol, began at 23:30 and did not return 39mpg.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;13848923 said:
Why not? It's a Motorway. It's full of reps and police cars and ditherers. During the day it's not exactly practical to vanish off into the distance at 100mph, is it? You'll get nicked and/or spend all your time braking hard when a numpty pulls out then accelerating when he moves out of the way. Speeding on the Motorway during the day is utterly pointless.

The 530i is wasted on you. You might as well have a bought a Toyota Avensis instead since it does 99% of what your BMW does based on your style of driving ;)

Man of Honour
So because I've got 230bhp I must use it during the day on busy Motorways to get to my destination 49 seconds quicker?

Caporegime
im with fox on this

even i (the one who got criticised and told to slow down) only sit at 80 on the cruise on the motorway. And thats if its empty

More likely i'll be doing 70 if its busy.

You just dont get room to do 100mph all the time, least not on the M62 or the M1 you dont.

Soldato
Depends on the conditions. But personally, it would do my nut in to be sitting in the slow lane behind a Polish truck driver at 65mph for 6 hours. Don't you get bored? Don't you have urge to gun the car a bit to break up the tedium or stretch the car's legs when you see a clear stretch of motorway in front of you, or feed in the power and balance the car though a fast sweeper? Straight lines and 65mph for 6 hours surely can't be any fun.

Man of Honour
When is any daytime Motorway slog fun? However you do it its boring, so why not sit back and relax? And who said anything about 65mph behind a truck.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;13849084 said:
When is any daytime Motorway slog fun? However you do it its boring, so why not sit back and relax? And who said anything about 65mph behind a truck.

That would be breaking the speed limit on most of my commute. :(

Indeed its pretty lame and not fun, although I thought you had the opionion all driving was fun Fox? I have to say getting an average of 85mpg on my current tank has made it a little more enjoyable as my car rides along running on smugness :p

Soldato
If it's busy on a motorway I find it a lot more difficult/tiresome to do 70 than to do maybe 80-85. 80-85 means I can cruise in the outside lane, mostly overtaking people in the inside/middle (but pulling in when it's clear of course!) If I'm doing 70, I'll be pulling in, out all the time. If that makes sense. It's at night when I can pop the cruise on at 70-80 and relax, occasionally overtaking the odd lorry

Back
Top Bottom