Audi A4 S Line questions

Soldato
If it's busy on a motorway I find it a lot more difficult/tiresome to do 70 than to do maybe 80-85. 80-85 means I can cruise in the outside lane, mostly overtaking people in the inside/middle (but pulling in when it's clear of course!) If I'm doing 70, I'll be pulling in, out all the time. If that makes sense. It's at night when I can pop the cruise on at 70-80 and relax, occasionally overtaking the odd lorry

If you can do 80 mph its not a busy motorway.

Associate
I purposely don't look at my MPG, always leave MFD on time. Don't want to get hung up on fuel efficiency when it's not what I bought the car for, as soon as I do I know I'll end up compromising on the parts of the car that are most important to me!

I'm far to impatient on motorways, I have a knack of feeling if there is a gap in front of me a i have to close it. Don't think I've ever done a long journey cruising at 70, just don't have the patience.

Soldato
Me and the wife to be are considering a new audi a4 in the 2.0 tdi 170 guise. I loved the test drive tbh, it did not feel "boring" to me and thats coming from a 172 cup owner! The one we want looks just like this guy's off the cliosport forum:

SS853043.jpg

Nice car :) I might then sell the clio for an s2000 towards the end of the year when the newish ones come down in price into winter.

Soldato
If only I could be 100% sure than I could get away with 2 doors again sintead of needing 4 I would just say sod it and stick to an E92 sport :p
This is actually the exact deliberation I'm going through as soon as I reach my 1 year NCB. E92 Sport or SE (the saloon is ghastly, that is out of the question) or Audi A4 S-Line. Hmmmm...

Soldato
I've chucked around an 58 A4 TDi S-line recently, and I can see where some of the comments come from.

It is reasonably chuckable and you can have some fun in it, grip levels and turn in are more then up to the job, and it's nice and progressive.

I think it depends on your own driving style..

When I get in a rwd car with some power, I do enjoy sliding the rear under power etc, something the Audi will never be able to do (obviously), but when not tooling around, and just trying to push on, I don't think the gap is as large as some make out.. but I tend to enjoy driving most cars as long as you can drive them on the limit and have no really bad handling traits.. or "making the most of what you have"..

I think it'd be worth getting a spirited test drive of one, it may suit you quite well, or you may hate it..

Man of Honour
OP
I realised the nearest dealer is next to my BMW dealer (I never noticed, lol) so will attempt to book a test drive sometime soon on a 2.0T S Line!

Sometimes I do like just chicking my E46 coupe into bends knowing that it will behave but nowadays I'm finding myself more and more having a "want" for the extra torque on straights especially on the daily commute up and down the M27 stretch.

I don't doubt that the A4 is less involving in handling (as many have said here and pretty much all reviews I have seen so far)but the interior pics I have seen look very nice especially the sports seats on the S Line - reminds me of M3 seats!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The other thing to consider is that these have been out for less than a year. They are thus very expensive, you are going to need well north of £20,000 for an A4 3.2 or 2.0TFSI S-Line.

Nice as though they are, is it really £20k+ worth of nice given you are going to look like a rep in a 2.0 TDI anyway? It's the sort of car that'll make a great buy at 4 years old instead when its less than £12k.

Would you have been as happy with your 318Ci Sport as you are now had you paid £22k for it at 6 months old instead of £10k at 5 years?

Man of Honour
Nope, thats the completely new model, which was released just under a year ago. Virtually all are on 58 or 09 plates though there are a few 08's around.

Man of Honour
OP
Aye, hmmm for £24K it would be silly to get one at this age, for less I can get a nice specced used E60. I'll just have to keep an eye on prices over the year I guess.

I do wonder though why BMW didn't improve the 4cyl (petrol) engines like Audi have done with the 2.0T? I mean the MPG figures are very close yet the performance figures have a huge gap between them yet the Audi is cheaper to run and service (£199 for main service according to Audi site).

Soldato
The B7 model is from 2005 to 2008 and is available in basic or S-Line trim (and a few inbetween), and the new B8 version is 08 onwards. :)

In comparison to a 330i price wise, I'd go witht en 330 every time. I really, REALLY like the B7 but for the money paid you get much more with a 330i.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;13851442 said:
The other thing to consider is that these have been out for less than a year. They are thus very expensive, you are going to need well north of £20,000 for an A4 3.2 or 2.0TFSI S-Line.

Agreed, after a little walk around the local Audi dealership the other night I almost fell over in shock at the A4 3.0TDI Quattro S-line they have on the front of the forecourt. Its in what I can only describe as very dark purple and is wait for it ...... a mere £47,400! I can only assume it has every option ticked along with the one for 'I must be a fruitcake to spend this much on a A4'.

Anyway I am rambling. As Fox points out they are a nice car however due to their age are also very expensive. 2.0TDI SE models are still around £18k at main dealers so 2.0TFSI and the 3.2 S line models will be a lot more.

Back
Top Bottom