Audi owners in here!

Man of Honour
You've got a top of the range Mondeo, why would a base Audi A3 have the same equipment? It seems the issue here is your expectations, it's a nicer Ford Focus class car not a luxury limo.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a top spec Mondeo has a higher list price than an A3 30TFSI.

What next, are you going to point out that an Audi A1 isn't as quick as a Ford Mustang?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Well I think that's maybe the point.

I assumed that with there being 10 years between the Mondeos (mine is a mk4.5 on an 11 plate and the wifes is a mk4 also on an 11 plate) and the Audi that things would have moved on and even a basic Audi would be better than a top spec Ford. I can accept the equipment difference (I already said acceleration diff was understandable), but it was the ride and handling and even the interior quality that (negatively) surprised me.

Guess in a peverse way I've bought into the badge snobbery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Soldato
Well I think that's maybe the point.

I assumed that with there being 10 years between the Mondeos (mine is a mk4.5 on an 11 plate and the wifes is a mk4 also on an 11 plate) that things would have moved on and even a basic Audi would be better than a top spec Ford. I can accept the equipment difference (I already said acceleration diff was understandable), but it was the ride and handling and even the interior quality that (negatively) surprised me.

Guess in a peverse way I've bought into the badge snobbery.
Having sat in a new A3 (albeit a reasonably well specced one) and owned a Mk4.5 Mondeo TX, I think the A3 interior is better lol

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Having sat in a new A3 (albeit a reasonably well specced one) and owned a Mk4.5 Mondeo TX, I think the A3 interior is better lol

Really? I mean, the dash clocks in the Audi are nice (although I prefer physical clocks), and as expected for 10 years newer and obviously the big infotainment screen is good (although it feels "tacked on"), but the plastics and switch gear are both poor and the ventilation vents are awful.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I think so, more modern and more features etc and certainly better to look at. My mondeo did feel quite well screwed together but there were still some creaks etc.
I didn't drive or go anywhere in the A3 though

Ah, neither of out Mondeos creak or anything. I can understand how that would be annoying.

Soldato
I think so, more modern and more features etc and certainly better to look at. My mondeo did feel quite well screwed together but there were still some creaks etc.
I didn't drive or go anywhere in the A3 though
I think even a Mk4 mondeo has a better interior than the current A3 one. Unfortunately Audi have gone from a interior that set the benchmarks for design and quality to something that resembles a 80's Japanese one. It is one of the reasons I have left the brand...

Man of Honour
I don’t like the whole touch screen thing in modern cars. It’s a flawed concept when mixed with sports suspension, big wheels and low profile tyres and Audi seems to have embraced this.

I was mooching around the current 3 Series the other weekend and really think they have the interior right in that car, better than the A4/5/6 in my opinion.

Audi gets some things spot on but it’s a mixed bag lately.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I doubt it’s that bad.
I suppose it really depends depends whether you think being worse* than a 10 year old Mondeo is bad or not.

*FYI, I'm only comparing handling, driving engagement and comfort plus some of the interior finishes/switchgear - not the looks or infotainment system (although as already stated, I don't like all digital dashes - I like physical speedo and rev counter as a min).

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Soldato
I suppose it really depends depends whether you think being worse* than a 10 year old Mondeo is bad or not.

*FYI, I'm only comparing handling, driving engagement and comfort plus some of the interior finishes/switchgear - not the looks or infotainment system (although as already stated, I don't like all digital dashes - I like physical speedo and rev counter as a min).
Handling I am sure you're right, my mk4 handled really nicely

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

It would be interesting to know the weight differences (can’t be bothered to go look so interesting is a relative term :D )

1225kg (Audi A3 Sport saloon with 1ltr 3cyl engine manual) vs 1615kg (Mondeo Titanium X 2.0 tdci estate powershift)

Man of Honour
1225kg (Audi A3 Sport saloon with 1ltr 3cyl engine manual)

It's a 1 litre 3 cylinder?

You thought a 1 Litre 3 cylinder car was similar enough to a 1600kg Mondeo to be worthy of critical comparison?

The A3 30TFSI has a list price of just £25k. It is infact cheaper than ANY currently available Mondeo - a top of the range one is almost £33k. From what I can see, 10 years ago your Mondeo was over £25k new, adjusted for inflation it's closer to the wrong side of £30k today.

I look forward to further exciting insights, like perhaps 'This Dacia Sandero just isn't as good as my Mondeo'. Perhaps I could write a 'The new Fiat 500 1.0 Hybrid just isn't as refined as my BMW 530d' to go alongside it.

I am neither an Audi fan (Owned none, likely won't) nor a Mondeo hater (Owned one, was brilliant, always liked them) but come on!

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

It's a 1 litre 3 cylinder?

You thought a 1 Litre 3 cylinder car was similar enough to a 1600kg Mondeo to be worthy of critical comparison?

I already said I didn't take performance into consideration. Ofc the Mondeo was going to be quicker, I never thought it would be any different. Why anyone would spec a car the size of an A3 with a 1ltr 3cyl engine baffles me though, but that's a different issue.

The A3 30TFSI has a list price of just £25k. It is infact cheaper than ANY currently available Mondeo - a top of the range one is almost £33k. From what I can see, 10 years ago your Mondeo was over £25k new, adjusted for inflation it's closer to the wrong side of £30k today.

Hey, as I said, maybe I was expecting too much from a premium brand like an Audi - I at least expected the handling, driving dynamics, comfort and interior quality (if not design) to be on a level with the Mondeo. Maybe that's my "reverse" badge snobbery at fault there.

I look forward to further exciting insights, like perhaps 'This Dacia Sandero just isn't as good as my Mondeo'. Perhaps I could write a 'The new Fiat 500 1.0 Hybrid just isn't as refined as my BMW 530d' to go alongside it.

Yeah, but I'm not comparing a Dacia or Fiat am I? I don't even think you would think Audi is in the same class as a Dacia or Fiat? Or maybe you do? I'm comparing a premium brand (Audi) against a Ford. As above, maybe I was wrong in expecting more.

Man of Honour
Hey, as I said, maybe I was expecting too much from a premium brand like an Audi - I at least expected the handling, driving dynamics, comfort and interior quality (if not design) to be on a level with the Mondeo. Maybe that's my "reverse" badge snobbery at fault there.

Audi has never been known for driving dynamics, ever. By contrast the Mondeo has always had a reputation for driving far better than a car of its type would ever be expected to do...

Yeah, but I'm not comparing a Dacia or Fiat am I? I'm comparing a premium brand (Audi) against a Ford. As above, maybe I was wrong in expecting more.

You're comparing a bottom of the range, entry level premium brand against Fords flagship car of the time (Was there a better Ford you could buy in the UK in 2011 than a Mondeo Titanium X? I would say no). Yes, you were wrong in expecting more...

You'd be better off comparing the A3 with a basic Focus. If the Ford still wins here then perhaps Audi has an issue.

Back
Top Bottom