Audio crackling/popping issue on new PC build

Associate
Ever since I built my new pc with I've been having pops in all my audio ports including when sound is coming out my monitor. I can't quite figure out how to fix. It will happen randomly when listening to various audio sources and essentially.
I did recieve a faulty 7950x from amazon which caused bsod and was able to get that replaced and haven't experienced any problems really apart from popping and very rare stutters.

What I have tried:
  1. Reinstalled windows and tried both 10 and 11
  2. Enabled / disabled audio enhancements
  3. Tried every compatible audio format (bit rate and Hz)
  4. Ran Troubleshoot --> Playing Audio multiple times; following prompts as applicable
  5. Un-installed / re-installed audio drivers (directly from motherboard manufacturer).
  6. Disabled on board audio and only had audio coming out the monitor and still got popping
  7. Running bios on defualt settings
  8. Fresh install of windows with 0 drivers still had popping
  9. Change power state option to high performance

PC specs below:

Motherboard ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO

Cpu: AMD 7950x

Cooler: Be quiet dark rock pro 4

Ram: Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 CL32-38-38-96 1.40V 64GB (2x32GB) AMD EXPO

GPU: Zotec 4090

PSU: Be quiet dark power 12 1500W

Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Solid

Associate
OP
Tried everything, apart from the most obvious thing of trying a different cable
Sorry I should have mentioned I tried different headphones unless you’re talking about different cables?

Also I do stutter once or twice a game and when I do my mic apparently lags and I get a bunch of popping.

Associate
OP
I
Run LatencyMon to see if there are DPC latency spikes.
I ran it and while it was running I could hear audio popping from videos but it said my system is fine.
Screenshot_1.png

Soldato
I

I ran it and while it was running I could hear audio popping from videos but it said my system is fine.
Screenshot_1.png
Don't use Discord to host screenshots, they don't allow hotlinking. Use something like Imgur: https://imgur.com

If it happens over HDMI as well then it does sound like it's not an issue with onboard audio. Are you using the latest BIOS?

Oddly enough if you search up your board with audio issues it seems like you're not the only one:

It shouldn't be happening on this platform but if you disable TPM in the BIOS does it still happen?

And out of curiosity, is the cooler maybe on too tight?

EDIT: Wait suddenly the Discord screenshot is now showing...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Don't use Discord to host screenshots, they don't allow hotlinking. Use something like Imgur: https://imgur.com

If it happens over HDMI as well then it does sound like it's not an issue with onboard audio. Are you using the latest BIOS?

Oddly enough if you search up your board with audio issues it seems like you're not the only one:

It shouldn't be happening on this platform but if you disable TPM in the BIOS does it still happen?

And out of curiosity, is the cooler maybe on too tight?

EDIT: Wait suddenly the Discord screenshot is now showing...
I did receive a faulty cpu from amazon which was causing BSOD then I got a replacement but I am unsure whether I was getting popping before too with the faulty cpu.
I am pretty sure my cooler isn't on tight.
Also I do get some fps drops but it's not common but when it does happen my audio starts popping a lot.
Disabling TPM doesnt do anything.

Man of Honour
Looks like with the old Ryzen builds, there's lots of complaints that it was voltage related (i.e. the board had them too low) and that BIOS updates can fix the problem. Weird, but I'd have thought that would be sorted by now, I guess you could test it by disabling C-states (and presumably EXPO) too, though doesn't using the high performance power plan have a similar impact?

Associate
OP
Looks like with the old Ryzen builds, there's lots of complaints that it was voltage related (i.e. the board had them too low) and that BIOS updates can fix the problem. Weird, but I'd have thought that would be sorted by now, I guess you could test it by disabling C-states (and presumably EXPO) too, though doesn't using the high performance power plan have a similar impact?
Yeah I thought the power plan would fix it because when gaming the popping will eventually slowly go away but would come back if I stutter but that’s rarely happens maybe like twice an hour or so max.
When I stop gaming it will most of the time come back too, honestly it’s all very weird and random and I must be the most unluckiest guy seeing how many issues I’m getting, one after another.

Associate
sorry for bumping this post, but I had a new build recently, going through similar stuff.... mine doesn't do the crackling , but it Pops, press playing/unpausing/skipping through videos, playing and skipping tracks on Spotify ... does the pops in question sound like this.

just like yourself tried various fixes, from different psu cables, even went as far is removing my two NVME SDD'S and used a hardrive to totally reinstall windows, with failing results, only things I've not tried is making sure my cpu cooler isn't on to tight (doubt this is the issue) or trying a different psu.

might be as simple as tweaking something in bios, but no clue what's causing it.

mines an intel.

Last edited:
Associate
You could try a soundcard? The "new" generation of motherboards, are supposed to have inferior sound chips on them. They did this save costs because of DDR5 and PCI-E 5. That may solve the problem.

Otherwise if BIOUS or drivers do not solve problem, then RMA.

Associate
OP
sorry for bumping this post, but I had a new build recently, going through similar stuff.... mine doesn't do the crackling , but it Pops, press playing/unpausing/skipping through videos, playing and skipping tracks on Spotify ... does the pops in question sound like this.

just like yourself tried various fixes, from different psu cables, even went as far is removing my two NVME SDD'S and used a hardrive to totally reinstall windows, with failing results, only things I've not tried is making sure my cpu cooler isn't on to tight (doubt this is the issue) or trying a different psu.

might be as simple as tweaking something in bios, but no clue what's causing it.

mines an intel.
Mine does that but also does it while not doing anything at all such as just watching a movie or playing games.

I replaced my motherboard but I’m still experiencing these audio problems.

Associate
There's an audio firmware update tool on the asus website below the bios update file. I think it only mentions SPDIF "noises" but it might help if you've not applied it already?

Associate
OP
There's an audio firmware update tool on the asus website below the bios update file. I think it only mentions SPDIF "noises" but it might help if you've not applied it already?
Yeah I had downloaded and tried that to see if it would solve my issue but it didn't unfortunately.

Associate
I even tried a soundcard, and even that didn't fix it.
though I've not heard popping without audio for example, whats app on my PC if I get a message it dings but I hear like a pop as well.

Last edited:
Associate
Mine does that but also does it while not doing anything at all such as just watching a movie or playing games.

I replaced my motherboard but I’m still experiencing these audio problems.

I know this is abit late, have you tried to put the system in a different case? just incase, some how the case is causing issues, don't see why, or even try a different processor,, because I've tried changing everything aside from psu, and power supply.

Back
Top Bottom