Australian Open 2022

Soldato
Needs to get out doing some bricklaying or something to build up some callouses. Shouldn't be getting blisters so bad it negates your whole ability to play.

Sounds like the mental state and desire is there though. Just needs some top coaching and some experience on the circuit to avoid silly stuff like this in future.

Soldato
Medvedez's interviews are hilarious, his comments on Kyrgios just then! :D :D

Needs to get out doing some bricklaying or something to build up some callouses. Shouldn't be getting blisters so bad it negates your whole ability to play.

Sounds like the mental state and desire is there though. Just needs some top coaching and some experience on the circuit to avoid silly stuff like this in future.

Wonder how much of it was driven by her training following her COVID Isolation.

Soldato

As a boulder I can say that won't work since callouses get torn off which is more painful than a blister. That being said usually you are able to just tape up blisters and tears and carry on. Bloody stings in the shower though, and you dread washing your hands.

Emma, does seem to make a lot of mistakes, and get injured a fair amount often when losing. I do find it strange though in sport when people talk about experience, given most professionals will have been playing their sport since the age of 5, and been involved in school, county, national and International championships from a young age, often playing against many of the same players they'd come across in their pro careers.

Soldato
As a boulder I can say that won't work since callouses get torn off which is more painful than a blister. That being said usually you are able to just tape up blisters and tears and carry on. Bloody stings in the shower though, and you dread washing your hands.

Emma, does seem to make a lot of mistakes, and get injured a fair amount often when losing. I do find it strange though in sport when people talk about experience, given most professionals will have been playing their sport since the age of 5, and been involved in school, county, national and International championships from a young age, often playing against many of the same players they'd come across in their pro careers.

The thing that ramps up is the intensity, levels and the stakes. There's a line where things get so hectic you forget the simple things like a blister.

How many times do we hear, "go back to the basics", that's such an important building block to everything. If you haven't taken care of your hands, then what use is training, tactics, fitness, etc etc.

Associate
i think she has a lot of credit in the bank. Winning a grand slam in her 3rd tournament ever and she is British. that is an amazing achievement. Let's not put the pressure on just yet.

Associate
It's probably just contracting COVID -> Too much training in too little time -> Blisters. Shouldn't be anything for her to worry about long term.

Soldato
And she's done better than Fernandez and Gauff so far who are being portrayed as future stars. Will be good to see how they all develop over the next 3-5 years should be good.

Of course that being said in the women's game things often happy early. Hingis won the AO, and Wimbledon at 16, she also won the US Open in the same year but her birthday had past so was 17 then). Went on to be #1 for four years, then retired at 22 with ankle injuries. Her records against the Williams sisters stand up too. Her injuries robbed fans a good rivalry there.

This was a bit of a changing of the guard as Graff was ageing, though when she came back from injury did immediately beat Hingis and Davenport.

Anyhow, nice quote from Raducanu: Nice quote from Raducanu: "I also learnt that I have got some hand skills, even though some people tell me I've got the hands of a bricklayer," haha.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems there's only activity here when a Brit is playing.

Fantastic tennis from Anisimova. Set down to Osaka, wins the second set, and serves an ace on the third set tie-break to win the match. Quality tennis throughout. Both are over 1.8m tall. Lots of heavy shots from the baseline, some good rallies.

Back
Top Bottom