Austrian Grand Prix 2015, Spielberg - Race 8/19

Caporegime
Alonso taking a 5th engine for this weekend so 10 place grid penalty minimum. 10 place for the first part of the 5th engine, 5 more for every extra part.

Also being said that they've only got enough aero parts to upgrade one of the two cars this weekend. Alonso is getting the upgrades because it's Alonso running in the midweek test after the race. Having this weekend to test the parts also means being more familiar with the feel/setup of aero package and can go into testing with a better feeling for the car.

Wouldn't be surprised if Button has to take engine penalties this weekend as well.

EDIT:- He might not necessarily run that new engine in the race though. This is where we start to see tactical engine penalties. Mclaren are going to suck in Austria, they went way backwards in Canada and should be no different here so why waste a new engine? They can break open the new 5th engine, fit all the parts for friday, maybe not do much running. That will cause the full penalty to be applied then they refit old engine parts, throw away the weekend have a fairly large chance of not finishing but have a fresh 5th engine for Silverstone with no penalties to take.

Even then Silverstone might be a much higher downforce track but is still a pretty high percentage at full throttle, I'm not sure Mclaren are going to do an awful lot better but still better than Austria.

Unfortunately I think we've been heading for a big problem all year. Potentially 5-6 of the remaining races Mclaren, RBR and probably TR are coming to tracks with little intention to compete, in addition to Manor who do the same everywhere anyway. I can't see that as anything but terrible for the sport.

Last edited:

smr

smr

Soldato
Alonso taking a 5th engine for this weekend so 10 place grid penalty minimum. 10 place for the first part of the 5th engine, 5 more for every extra part.

Also being said that they've only got enough aero parts to upgrade one of the two cars this weekend. Alonso is getting the upgrades because it's Alonso running in the midweek test after the race. Having this weekend to test the parts also means being more familiar with the feel/setup of aero package and can go into testing with a better feeling for the car.

Wouldn't be surprised if Button has to take engine penalties this weekend as well.

EDIT:- He might not necessarily run that new engine in the race though. This is where we start to see tactical engine penalties. Mclaren are going to suck in Austria, they went way backwards in Canada and should be no different here so why waste a new engine? They can break open the new 5th engine, fit all the parts for friday, maybe not do much running. That will cause the full penalty to be applied then they refit old engine parts, throw away the weekend have a fairly large chance of not finishing but have a fresh 5th engine for Silverstone with no penalties to take.

Even then Silverstone might be a much higher downforce track but is still a pretty high percentage at full throttle, I'm not sure Mclaren are going to do an awful lot better but still better than Austria.

Unfortunately I think we've been heading for a big problem all year. Potentially 5-6 of the remaining races Mclaren, RBR and probably TR are coming to tracks with little intention to compete, in addition to Manor who do the same everywhere anyway. I can't see that as anything but terrible for the sport.

Actually you might find they'll be A/Bing both cars and the reason why Nando has the upgrades is because Jenson had the upgrade in China when Alonso didn't...and also Alonso will be driving with Stoffel in the test.Actually managed to plough my way through all of your post for once... you could have basically quoted Alonso to summarise everything you said... which is "This is a testing weekend"

Basically the whole season is a testing season for McLaren-Honda, Alonso already said a few days ago he's written off this year, Jenson's stated the team won't get any podiums this year... but they can't formally state this season is a test of course, wouldn't be a good message to send out to the fans.

This season will frankly be the most boring F1 season for a long time. Lewis will comfortably win the title and everyone knows it. Ferrari will come second, 99 percent certainty the Championship will finish Ham, Ros, Vet... and the Constructors obviously will be Merc, Ferrari ... then most likely Williams, Red Bull... just too many foregoneconclusions to make it exciting, it's the inter team battles and taking each weekend as it comes which is the way I'm looking at...

My other sport, football was pretty much the same last season, Chelsea wrapped the title up from day one, pretty boring season if it wasn't for Leicester fighting relegation at the end and making the great escape... hopefully next year/season will be better for both Sports.

Last edited:

smr

smr

Soldato
Oh and a bit of a tease/mock up of what the new car could look like...

CHoM2HVWsAAw8Kp.jpg

A raft of updates across teh car this weekend on Alonso's side... new floor, sidepods, rear wing, new nose, need everything to come together with the PU side of things too now.

Caporegime
So all the updates, chassis and engine, plus a day of the post race test all get given to Alonso, while Button gets to potter around in the old car and spends next week doing paperwork back at the office?

I wonder which driver has started mentioning exit clauses and buyouts ;). Alonso has also been talking about how he nearly did Le Mans this year and could definitely do it next year. I wonder if they are all letting Alonso go first in line for the lunch queue, and have given him Buttons room in the motor home as it has a better view?

Last edited:
Soldato
I wonder which driver has started mentioning exit clauses and buyouts ;). Alonso has also been talking about how he nearly did Le Mans this year and could definitely do it next year. I wonder if they are all letting Alonso go first in line for the lunch queue, and have given him Buttons room in the motor home as it has a better view?

He's already Alonso's brolly dolly :p

CHyt-kCUEAA808g.jpg

Permabanned
When they said Ferrari is back, what did that mean? Back to winning or back being on the podium? I think Vettel will come 2nd in this race as there will be a mess up with the Mercedes pit stops with Lewis or Nico.

*puts away crystal ball * :D

Caporegime
Mclaren, both cars had engine trouble in both sessions. Waiting for the FIA pdf on new engine parts for FP2. Alonso took new almost everything for Fp1, 3 for penalties, and a new mgu-k but had only used 2 so far. Mclaren haven't had an insane amount of MGU-K failures yet but that might be qualified by how much they are using it. If they aren't harvesting now using much power then the mgu-k might simply not be being used much.

The new pu parts for fp3 tomorrow will be interesting as well, they can't both have broken parts in both sessions can then....

Mclaren might struggle to use less than 4 engines this race rather than this season.

Man of Honour
Just watched a bit of the drivers press conference.
Hulkenberg looks extremely happy and relaxed after last weekend, but good god Rosberg looks like a miserable little sod.

Back
Top Bottom