Poll: Austrian Grand Prix 2022, Red Bull Ring - Race 11 (Sprint Race Weekend)

Rate the Austrian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
A small tweak to fuel flow for ms at a time, ruined Ferrari's car before. If this causes even a tenth or two to be lost, that is massive.

This should also affect qualifying more than races.

Soldato
The crux of the matter has been difficult to clarify, however from what I can gather it is most likely to compliance of the floor when hitting the track, to the extent that the whole floor acts as a damper
The fia refers to unusual wear patterns on the plank surface and looking at pictures of the RB it seems to wear down the full length of the plank. In the past this would not happen. The wear would be much more biased towards the front of the car.
My interpretation is that effectively the whole plank is now running at times in flat contact with the track, the load is not enough to cause excessive wear because of the compliance now built in and the location of the titanium skid blocks.
The rb seems to exhibit virtually no chattering so the plank damping is doing its job. However the ferrari seems to at times have a lot of chattering so presumably their floor is not working in the same manner.

I expect rb to have been working flat out on an alternative so the impact to be minimal, but it will have cost time and money.

Just to add, the ferrari floor seems to wear evenly as well, so presumably they haven't got as much compliance as rb so still get chattering.

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
From what I read, Ferrari and RB are allowing the rear of the plank to move, as the FIA only measure at two points, at the front of the plank.
Its a clever interpretation of the rules, and one that will have gained them some performance advantages. Merc did not spot it, but the FIA are not keen, and want to change things to stop the "loophole".

Kudos to the teams who worked it out! Its all part of the rich tapestry of F1 and getting the max from the car within the rules!

Associate
Does anyone else find the phrase “copium” (hopium, any other variation) annoying?

Looking forward to the race. Sprint race always adds another element of interest to proceedings.

Soldato
Yes, Austria. Always been fond of this track, and in general I prefer shorter tracks with a high number of laps, as the cars end up closer together.

Just a shame the rain isn't going be around for the weekend.

All the talk of RB and Farrari floors flexing is pretty running, given how flexible the Merc floor had been. It was flapping the wing of a bird, until they added stays to try and strengthen it.

Soldato
It’s not the floor itself, particularly the edges that Mercedes’ were struggling with that’s mandated to not flex more than 2mm. It’s the solid plank under the car that is the issue that RB and Ferrari are supposedly flexing. Particularly RB who appear to have a soft mounting for the rear of the plank for it to act as a type of damper, allowing them to run a lower ride height but have absorption of some of the potential bouncing.

Caporegime
This really is a beautiful track. Max looking very fast in testing. Currently red flagged due to part of the track falling apart (!).

With the earlier flag for Norris too, they're going into Quali tonight with very little running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom