Auto HDR available to test on Win 10 gaming PC's now

So most DX11/12 games should support HDR with this? But won't it look "forced"? Considering the games won't natively support HDR?

I quite like the HDR on my S2721DGF , I know it's not high spec HDR but it's an improvement over SDR, the extra brightness is good too.

Last edited:
I'm assuming this means they enable HDR mode automatically if supported instead of having to enable hdr mode in display settings before starting the games.

If not, I don't get it. Either games supports it or they don't.

I'm assuming this means they enable HDR mode automatically if supported instead of having to enable hdr mode in display settings before starting the games.

If not, I don't get it. Either games supports it or they don't.

If i remember it uses some kind of colour temperature mapping to produce the HDR metadata on the fly, so games that never had HDR now do.

edit:

Hmmm interesting. I’ve been experimenting with SpecialK hdr the last few months. it works for many games but can be fiddly and temperamental. The thing I like most about SpecialK hdr is you can fine tune the settings to get the best image possible. I bet you can’t with this.

Hmmm interesting. I’ve been experimenting with SpecialK hdr the last few months. it works for many games but can be fiddly and temperamental. The thing I like most about SpecialK hdr is you can fine tune the settings to get the best image possible. I bet you can’t with this.

Shouldn't need to fine tune it though with HDR, as long as monitor is correctly calibrated.

Shouldn't need to fine tune it though with HDR, as long as monitor is correctly calibrated.

in theory yes. In practice no. Look at the recent slew of games that have released with ‘broken’ hdr. A raised black floor level being a common fault. Special k allows you to tweak and correct lazy developers mistakes.

That is why you do a backup first or do not bother to try test builds.

2021-03-20.png

Never mind applying HDR to previously unsupported games, I'd settle for Windows recognising an HDR supported title and switching to HDR automatically.

I think it is largely down to the game developers this part as some games seem to switch it on despite it being turned off in windows where as others, HDR won't work unless it is also turned on in windows i.e. division 2 switches to hdr with the the windows HDR setting off for me.

I think it is largely down to the game developers this part as some games seem to switch it on despite it being turned off in windows where as others, HDR won't work unless it is also turned on in windows i.e. division 2 switches to hdr with the the windows HDR setting off for me.
I found Division 2 has one of the worse versions of HDR and when you let it switch to HDR automatically with it off in windows I get a horrible version of HDR instead of real HDR.

EDIT: I mean worst in getting it to work correctly. Division 2 HDR when it works correctly looks' very good.

in theory yes. In practice no. Look at the recent slew of games that have released with ‘broken’ hdr. A raised black floor level being a common fault. Special k allows you to tweak and correct lazy developers mistakes.
There is a solution for that rinsed black level broken HDR at least it works for me. I found if the follow these steps, turn on HDR in windows, set game to window mode borderless, load game up. Then HDR is correct with the correct black level. If I load the same game up in fullscreen or go into the game without HDR being switched on first the raised black level broke HDR happens.

I found Division 2 has one of the worse versions of HDR and when you let it switch to HDR automatically with it off in windows I get a horrible version of HDR instead of real HDR.

EDIT: I mean worst in getting it to work correctly. Division 2 HDR when it works correctly looks' very good.

Can't say I have had any issues with division 2 or any of ubis games, they seem to be the best for HDR especially assassins creed odyssey.

This is on a LG OLED with PC game mode. Some TVs don't handle HDR on PC as well and more faff is required.

Also, I've found nvidia to be slightly better on the whole for HDR switching etc. than AMD too.

Back
Top Bottom