Auto HDR available to test on Win 10 gaming PC's now

Auto HDR is great in theory were it not for it being broken in Windows for me. I have an Acer CG437KP monitor and turning on Windows HDR means it becomes washed out and I have to set contrast in the Nvidia control panel to counter it. Ive got it looking great however windows auto switching would still means me having to adjust the NCP settings anyway so until that works, auto switching is pointless for me.

Is there any reason not to register for this window insider program ?

Sometimes the insider builds do weird stuff. There was a bug in an insider build a long, long time ago (might have been Vista) which clipped the first few seconds off all MP3 files which were accessible by the PC. That was the last time I used an insider build :p

You're using something that hasn't been properly tested. There's every chance of something like the above happening.

I haven't noticed windows messing up colour settings but I also haven't used many games which support HDR.

More native support would go down well

A lot of people get a washed out effect (myself included) when HDR is on in Windows so have to use NCP to adjust contrast. Until they fix that, auto switching is pointless for me as I would still have to change those settings. To be honest I'm happy leaving it on but better implementation is needed from Microsoft.

I've found in games that use it well, it makes a huge difference and the colours pop. Cyberpunks' neon and sunsets are stunning and it's noticeable when it's applied.

A lot of people get a washed out effect (myself included) when HDR is on in Windows so have to use NCP to adjust contrast. Until they fix that, auto switching is pointless for me as I would still have to change those settings. To be honest I'm happy leaving it on but better implementation is needed from Microsoft.

I've found in games that use it well, it makes a huge difference and the colours pop. Cyberpunks' neon and sunsets are stunning and it's noticeable when it's applied.

Odd, I've not noticed that issue. I have noticed the issue when taking screenshots though, they look terrible.

I can only find benchmark screenshots but it still shows the issue I get.

9I3llxQ.jpg
FXPI8ZN.jpg

It boggles me.that my PS4 pro nails HDR so well. I turn it on it looks great , I turn it off it looks great without touching my TV.
On my pc if HDR is off and i turn it on it looks awfully washed out. If I turn it on and get the image right and it then randomly turns off, the colours are actually over blown and it is dark.
It is windows because like I say the PS4 looks great, as do some pc games which allow you to enable or disable it.

The more new features coming to market the more and more we learn that actually Windows is a ducking horrible operating system for games! We need something new!

No problems here with HDR in games on windows.

If HDR isn't working, it is more likely that the developer hasn't done it properly, as if it was a problem with windows then HDR wouldn't work at all....

It is a faff though having to switch it on/off in windows settings depending on the game though!

No problems here with HDR in games on windows.

If HDR isn't working, it is more likely that the developer hasn't done it properly, as if it was a problem with windows then HDR wouldn't work at all....

It is a faff though having to switch it on/off in windows settings depending on the game though!
Take cyberpunk as example.

Washed out colours when hdr Is enabled

division 2 also
Division 2 works fine for me. In fact it's one of the best examples of hdr on windows as I don't even need to switch HDR on in windows settings for HDR to activate. Most of ubis games are great for HDR on windows, Assassins creed odyssey and far cry new dawn are also flawless.

What display are you using for HDR?

Back
Top Bottom