Autonomous Vehicles

Hey I am all for progress but I am also a realist. There is a world out there not just the UK. Please tell me when in our lifetime are we going to have driverless cars driving within 1 meter of each other in the Republic of Congo or say India or Pakistan?

I really dont care about those places, I live in the UK. its the UK air I need to breathe
If you want to drive a petrol car so badly you would move to India feel free ;)

Most people here realistically I said before will have the ability to drive a petrol/diesel well upto the point where they would reasonably want to/are capable of.
Young people now will know no different, talk to some youngsters now about when I went out as a kid, we didn't have an answer phone and there we no mobiles or anything. It was common for people to say I tried to call you yesterday and the response to be "I was out". The thought that you were not immediately available to take a call 24/7 is utterly foreign to them
Will be the same with transport, "what you mean you had to take a test to be able to drive, and you had to do it yourself so you couldn't spend all the time texting?" will be more their stunned response I am certain.

Caporegime
OP
You’re forgetting the context. It’s an autonomous system. It would be easy enough to have a minimum breaking requirement. Sure the Aston could break faster and harder, but it doesn’t need to brake at 100% the entire time.

You’re right though. 1m is probably a bit close. The overall context is the important bit though. They will be closer than most vehicles are (recommended at least) today and it’s unlikely you’ll be allowed to weave in and out, even if you physically could, let alone be legally allowed to.

People will still buy a car on performance. Autonomous car A) can get from A to B in 20 minutes whereas car B) can get from A to B in only 30. That would rid the train idea as cars would be overtaking each other unless we revert to communism and all have the same car.

People will still buy a car on performance. Autonomous car A) can get from A to B in 20 minutes whereas car B) can get from A to B in only 30. That would rid the train idea as cars would be overtaking each other unless we revert to communism and all have the same car.

Or they wont be allowed to sell cars or not restrict cars to break the law...
Every car can do A to B in 20 minutes no one makes a car thats slower or faster as its controlled to follow the limits in place

Soldato
So basically you’re advocating fragrantly breaking the law.

Is the only reason you don’t do that now because you may get hurt by slow drivers? Or is it because you’d lose you’re licence pretty sharpish if you did that regularly...

People will take more liberties when they know it's a self-driving car though. It's not like traffic cops actually exist any more either. They will cut them even more when they think automated systems will take care of everything.

Caporegime
Ever since finding out about this 'park and ride' service (which was only a couple of years ago. Whilst I was in Bath). I've been wondering why parts of London doesn't have a similar service.

They do and have for years.

There are massive car parks at the end of many tube lines. Take Stanmore for example (northern end of the Jubilee line).

Lots of people use it, but some still seem to insist on driving in. Never understood those people, but then I don’t understand people that take taxis instead of the tube in central London either. They take longer (most of the time) and cost more.

Soldato
And if the AV cars record video whenever they are forced to emergency maneuver your mug will clearly be on video for the fuzz to prosecute ;)

Assuming you have number plates attached so they know who it was. A lot of people drive around without them already, never seem to get stopped. Taking the front off and sticking it in the window is the thing to do now.

Assuming you have number plates attached so they know who it was. A lot of people drive around without them already, never seem to get stopped.

I said mug. We already have your picture you used for the licence so we may computer match it. Your racking up the illegals here, driving on the wrong side of the road to cause an emergency brake by the AV, removing the legally required markings in order to get round cameras, how far do we want to go in this pointless exercise to try to beat the system? ;)

Soldato
I said mug. We already have your picture you used for the licence so we may computer match it. Your racking up the illegals here, driving on the wrong side of the road to cause an emergency brake by the AV, removing the legally required markings in order to get round cameras, how far do we want to go in this pointless exercise to try to beat the system? ;)

It's pretty hard to see a drivers face on camera through a windscreen. Especially at night. It's always dark in the car.

Like I said, people already do this stuff and get away with it :/

It's pretty hard to see a drivers face on camera through a windscreen. Especially at night. It's always dark in the car.

Like I said, people already do this stuff and get away with it :/

True, so now its dark, your driving down the wrong side of the road as your assuming the AV coming the other way IS an AV and not another non AV driver. When you realise its not an AV but in fact another driver without any plates either its probably going to be too late to say "oh dear I maybe should have followed the law and not driven down the wrong side of the road at night assuming I could make the AV stop" ;)
When they eventually work out who the 2 muppets were they can hold the funerals. And scratch 2 more off the list of luddites ;)

Caporegime

We’re communist now I guess as we have speed limits, which means realistically the person in the Ford Focus and Aston Martin are going to get from A-B in the same time.

Yes, occasionally people fragrantly break the law and do 120 on the motorway but it’s not that common (or possible) even now, especially during the day when most people are driving.

The reality of the situation is that speed limits on major roads would be likely to increase for automated vehicles, so everyone gets to their destination quicker, legally. On minor roads then sure, the Aston may have a bit of fun, but it wouldn’t be a train then.

Caporegime
People will take more liberties when they know it's a self-driving car though. It's not like traffic cops actually exist any more either. They will cut them even more when they think automated systems will take care of everything.

But remember, all automated vehicles have cameras. It’s not a massive leap of logic to suggest that a system could be put in place where if an automated vehicle has to take evasive/“unusual” action the video and telemetry could be uploaded to a database and viewed by the police if necessary. Similar to the current dashcamvcraze, but on steroids.

Soldato
But remember, all automated vehicles have cameras. It’s not a massive leap of logic to suggest that a system could be put in place where if an automated vehicle has to take evasive/“unusual” action the video and telemetry could be uploaded to a database and viewed by the police if necessary. Similar to the current dashcamvcraze, but on steroids.

Automated vehicles already record basically everything around them. That's how they work.

It's also how Tesla and Google have been able to give pretty comprehensive accounts of accidents, including data on who was at fault.

Don
Automated vehicles already record basically everything around them. That's how they work.

It's also how Tesla and Google have been able to give pretty comprehensive accounts of accidents, including data on who was at fault.
Not just that, but as they roll out updates to Tesla cars they record the impact on accident rates.

Soldato
It's a moot point. AV systems don't drive like a total mentalist. A Tesla P100D is one of the fastest accelerating cars on the road. Switch on Autopilot, and it's a pretty sedate experience; it'll drive slower and more cautiously than the average driver. Nothing a little Fiat 500 can't keep pace with.

Nobody is building these systems for performance. They're built with safety in mind. Running two cars from opposite ends of the performance spectrum would require minimal, of any, compromises.

Caporegime
Yes we have speed limits but no acceleration or deceleration limits.

Or how fast you can corner limits.

All very important on motorways during rush hour...

Wait...!

As already mentioned that acceleration, deceleration and corner speed could still be used on empty minor roads, just not busy motorways. Coincidentally that’s generally the situation now. Go figure...;)

Back
Top Bottom