Autumn Budget 2015

Soldato
The cynic inside me thinks that the spiralling costs of childcare are due to the government's 'bumping' parents income to cover child care costs, if people had to foot the entire bill themselves you would probably see a nursery price war

Soldato
Only working tax credits were going to be cut. Child tax credits were unaffected.

There will also be 30h free child care coming in at some point, up from the current 15h.

Child tax credits were getting cut as part of the initial proposal

And the 30 hrs hasn't been ratified yet and is still under review, as they haven't worked out how to pay for it :p And it's not that popular with providers and has the potential of being counter productive by halving the number of places available in a setting

Associate
Minimum wage won't be £9/hr until 2020, by which time childcare providers (and I imagine loads of other businesses) will have bumped prices even more to compensate.

Yes, this is one potential problem with the policy that the new minimum wage will have an inflationary effect.

But then, if household income is remaining stable, just the source is shifting from government to business, then maybe we should not see any increases in prices..?

Additionally, the increase in business costs due to the withdrawal of subsidy could not be passed on as, in effect, people are not effectively better off.

/ramble

Soldato
The OBR forecasts are looking even more optimistic than usual. When the latest deficit figures are sharply worse than expected how can they still expect the deficit to outperform their previous figures?

Well George has based this whole spending review on this reassessment by the OBR that we will have higher tax receipts and lower debt interest payments.

Since its just a guess by the OBR and a very different guess than they made in July (a £27 Billion difference) We and George better hope they are somewhat correct - which they usually aren't :p

Soldato
Something to do with reduced debt interest payment costs over the term and investing some of that to reduce the deficit. It was near the top of the speach.

I'm sure though once the details are looked through there will be some people out of pocket which we will all be angry over the next day or two but overall he's either making it all up or it wasnt that bad

Associate
OP
The NHS needs to get its act together before we chuck more money at at. As much as I love the NHS it's an absolute money pit at the moment and we can't just keep throwing money at it in the hope that it eventually sorts itself out.

Personally I don't see an issue with part-privatisation of the NHS. Reduce individual NI contributions, which would appease the masses but would still allow free healthcare at the point of delivery for those who need it and genuinely can't afford it.

Caporegime
The NHS needs to get its act together before we chuck more money at at. As much as I love the NHS it's an absolute money pit at the moment and we can't just keep throwing money at it in the hope that it eventually sorts itself out.

The NHS regularly comes top, or near the top, for efficiency among international comparisons of developed world healthcare systems. What more do you want from it?

Back
Top Bottom