Autumn Budget 2015

Soldato
The NHS needs to get its act together before we chuck more money at at. As much as I love the NHS it's an absolute money pit at the moment and we can't just keep throwing money at it in the hope that it eventually sorts itself out.

I am sure the NHS could be more efficient, but the reason it's a money pit is because our life expectancy is growing at a much faster rate than our productivity, exports and so forth. Or to put it more simply, the cost of our living longer must be offset by ever larger national incomes, and we're failing to grow national income quickly enough.

Man of Honour
The NHS regularly comes top, or near the top, for efficiency among international comparisons of developed world healthcare systems. What more do you want from it?

It really doesn't on anything that matters. Unless you care about customer satisfactions and other useless measures. It is pretty poor on actual results.

Associate
I'm glad to see public pressure can work even against ideological polices such as tax credit cuts. I don't believe for a second that George looked at improved economic forecasts and thought to himself 'Now I can afford to maybe it would be nice to not cut tax credits'.

Tax credits are symptomatic of a system which doesn't pay it's workers enough to live on. Fix that and THEN take them away, not the other way around, and especially not when a solution to the problem is uncertain AND 2 or 3 years away.

Man of Honour
No, it's really not. You can look at the WHO, the Commonwealth Fund or the Kings Fund, all which say that clinical outcomes from the NHS are world class.

What 18th with a high capita expenditure, you night want to re look at these.

The reports, was it last year that had us top, where due to measures that should barely be considered, NHS simply isn't as great as people make out,
NHS always does poorly at solving the condition, it is more of a fire fight approach, which is cheaper and easier per day, more expensive and time consumming over decades.

Soldato
I'm glad to see public pressure can work even against ideological polices such as tax credit cuts. I don't believe for a second that George looked at improved economic forecasts and thought to himself 'Now I can afford to maybe it would be nice to not cut tax credits'.

Tax credits are symptomatic of a system which doesn't pay it's workers enough to live on. Fix that and THEN take them away, not the other way around, and especially not when a solution to the problem is uncertain or 2 or 3 years away.

As they said on The Daily Politics, George did this because he has his eye on No.10 and pushing through such an unpopular reform would have damaged his imagined* chances

Anyway, whatever the reason, it was a good U-Turn, yes.

* I say imagined because there can only be 1 person in the country who thinks he would make a good PM....well, ok 2...his mum as well :p

Soldato
Please elaborate.

Police, no cuts.
Defence - Up
Education - Up
NHS - Up
Roads and other infrastructure - Up

A genuine question to you, I am struggling to imagine which cuts you are inferring to.

Mal

Energy
Climate
Environment -15%
Health (Whitehall Budget) -25%
Transport -37%
Culture (Whitehall Budget) -20%

There was a list of 5 or so depts, I'll just get the others and edit

Last edited:
Soldato
And the small print is already being analysed

The police budget is being protected in cash terms, so is actually going to be a real term cut

Oh and the OBR has just admitted that they got the projected VAT receipts model wrong (They believe they had been underestimating it) and that is part of the increase in future tax revenues.

Well, that fills us with lots of confidence!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom