Average fee?

Soldato
£ 1147.79p

but would depend on what he(she) is offering

how long they will be there? just the service, party ? or the whole day ?

how professional he is (more pro = more cost to cover insurnance, backup equipment, editing time etc that a non pro might not have)

how the prints will be given to the couple .. ie disc, 6x4 ? big expensive photo album

Last edited:
Caporegime
Working as minimum working hours, say £10 per hour.

12 hours shoot = £120
30 hours processing = £300

Album

Blurb, from £20 to £60 +
Jrogensen .... you are looking at £500 for a decent one

Disc - You can include it free, some photographers charges extra (depends on the tog)

+ Artistic merit = £ ???

Total = Who knows?

Caporegime
Ok to give the guy an idea.

I CAN take a decent photo but no way am I pro. However, I've been working in IT for 6 years and when it comes to supporting IT I'm pretty **** hot at it. My hourly rate for private work is £30p/h. But going back to me not being a pro photographer I'd half it as some would say I'm a semi pro/amateur.

So lets see a days work at £15p/h - Typically starting at 9am and finishing at the end of the day (lets say hypothetically 6pm) - £135 - Obviously if they want me for the party etc I'd add more hours.

Then going on to the processing because I'm the sort of guy that processes pictures on and off and can't do it solidly without my head exploding so I'd add a round £200.

So we are upto £335 (which is still cheap from what I hear about a lot of wedding photographers)

Included with that I would put a photobook in with 30 or so images. Then give them a CD which shows a slideshow of the images they can play on their TV and give them a price list for prints with it. So when they watch the slideshow if they want a print of it they can mark it down and contact me and go from there.

But that's just me :p (and I'm yet to do a wedding)

Last edited:
Associate
My base rate is £500, which includes a proof/slideshow disc of the images from the event plus a 10x7 of the Bride and Groom, based on 5 hours of attendence.

Additional hours/requirements/prints/albums come extra, and as does copyright transfer for individual or all images.

Soldato
An hourly rate is probably wise if it's just a one-off for a friend or a friend of a friend. What most people here seem to be forgetting is that there's WAY more things to be encapsulated in the cost of wedding photography if you're a "pro" than just hours spent. Everything from software to new equipment, web design and hosting, marketing materials and promotional events like wedding fares have to be taken into account and covered.

Soldato
So with regards to the prints they may wish to order, do you print these yourself or pass them to a 3rd party?

What would the post processing involve exactly?

Caporegime
I have offered to be the Photographer at a friends Wedding day.

I will be there during the morning, the service, the reception and the party.

Piece of Cake.

If this is your first one.

I would do it for Free. Reason is that, no consideration, no contract. And that takes some pressure off, should you mess it up, as it is the first one.

Btw, if you don't mind me asking, can I see some of your other work? Just want to know where this "piece of cake" idea comes from.

Soldato
I see a few people here offering to provide a disc with the images on, i thought wedding photographers were anal about letting the customer have a copy? (something which makes me mad tbh but thats another story!)

Soldato
I see a few people here offering to provide a disc with the images on, i thought wedding photographers were anal about letting the customer have a copy? (something which makes me mad tbh but thats another story!)

old school photographers dont like to give out discs because they like to charge a lot for prints and albums

Back
Top Bottom