Awful SNR... is this what i'm lumped with?

Caporegime
My downstream SNR seems to top out at 6.6 and fluctuates all the way down to 3.4. We (me and my old man) are in the process of fitting an XTE-2005 ADSL filter but are missing a part that we stupidly forgot to order. My master socket is a pre-NTE5 socket so what we did was purchase an NTE-5 socket and ran it as an extension to the master (about 2 ft away).

Anyway the other day when we were trying to install the filter (before we found out we were missing a part) my dad had a fiddle with the wires in the house extensions and as a result of literally taking them out and putting them back in again my router leaped from a 2.1MB synch rate to an almost double 3.7 synch rate!

The worst thing was after reading about the ringwire mod we went to remove it and to our dismay found it was already disconnected in the master socket. What i'm wondering is am I likely to see any significant benefit from installing the filter, and also does the ringwire need to be disconneced from every extension or is the master socket enough to take it completely out of the loop? I've heard that removing the ringwire on sockets like mine can near-double the SNR, and to see mine so low with the ringwire apparently disconnected is really dis-heartening.

Am I likely stuck with this low low SNR forever? :(

Soldato
I had a similar situation to you, although I have a BT fitted NTE5. I removed the ring-wire, fitted an XTE-2005 and changed my router to a Speedtouch.

So far i've gone from a really crappy fluctuating SNR to a stable 28dB during the day and 25dB at night.

Speedtouch routers with the Broadcom chipset are good for long, crappy lines. Look for the 516v6. And go here: http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=dslrouter

Lots of infos :)

You can also run the DMT Tool with the Speedtouch routers: http://www.wark19.eclipse.co.uk/dmt.jpg

Caporegime
OP
dirtydog said:
How far are you from the exchange?

6.6 is very low, I'm surprised you can stay connected with that.

Pretty far to be honest... samknows says "You are approximately 3.44km from the exchange (straight line distance)" though depending how BT routed my cable that could vary a fair bit.

I had a stable 1MB (standard ADSL) connection for a good while, and have asked IDNet to downgrade me to 1MB IPstream until I see if I can improve things at all.

Permabanned
Hmm my connection drops around that point :)

ADSL MAX is a pain in the arse TBH... at least for those of us unlucky to have long lines to the exchange.

Caporegime
OP
Deathwish said:
Between 10 and 0 ! :)

Holy moly and a speedtouch increased it THAT mouch? I have a Belkin 7633 atm with the latest firmware...

Surely my ringwire can't be completely out of the loop if my stats are so poor? *prays*

Permabanned
Richdog said:
Pretty far to be honest... samknows says "You are approximately 3.44km from the exchange (straight line distance)" though depending how BT routed my cable that could vary a fair bit.

I had a stable 1MB (standard ADSL) connection for a good while, and have asked IDNet to downgrade me to 1MB IPstream until I see if I can improve things at all.

I am just about exactly the same distance from my exchange too - and I've also just asked my ISP to regrade me to 1Mb fixed speed as otherwise I get very erratic / no service at night due to the SNR dropping too low.

Right now it is at 13.0... but within the next half hour it will drop to 6 and below, which means bye bye internet until tomorrow morning...

Soldato
dirtydog said:
I am just about exactly the same distance from my exchange too - and I've also just asked my ISP to regrade me to 1Mb fixed speed as otherwise I get very erratic / no service at night due to the SNR dropping too low.

Right now it is at 13.0... but within the next half hour it will drop to 6 and below, which means bye bye internet until tomorrow morning...

Have you tried some of the tricks, such as ringwire/XTE-2005? Speedtouch router does help with crappy lines too, and they are cheap! :)

Permabanned
I'll see if the regrade gives me a stable service first but thanks for the info, I will bear that in mind :)

I just hope I'm not gonna have to drop to 512kbps to get a stable service :/

Caporegime
OP
dirtydog said:
I'll see if the regrade gives me a stable service first but thanks for the info, I will bear that in mind :)

I just hope I'm not gonna have to drop to 512kbps to get a stable service :/

What are your current line stats mate?

Soldato
Just for a little clarification - the master socket only ever has two wires coming into it from the outside. The master socket itself is what contains the ring capacitor and extensions are wired into this so that's where the ring wire comes from - not from the outside.

In short, if your master socket does happen to have a ring wire at all, it should only be for extensions wired into it and not coming from the BT side.

Caporegime
OP
Phemo said:
Just for a little clarification - the master socket only ever has two wires coming into it from the outside. The master socket itself is what contains the ring capacitor and extensions are wired into this so that's where the ring wire comes from - not from the outside.

In short, if your master socket does happen to have a ring wire at all, it should only be for extensions wired into it and not coming from the BT side.

So if the ringwire is disconnected via the master socket that should be it?

Permabanned
Richdog said:
What are your current line stats mate?

Vendor ID : 00B5GSPN
Revision Number : Y1921a
Serial number : 123456789abcdx
Self Test : Passed Framing Structure : Framing-3
Standard : G.dmt Trellis Coding : Disable
Local Tx. Power(dB) : 11.95 Remote Tx.Power(dB) : 15.25
Local Line Atten(dB) : 56.0 Remote Line Atten(dB) : 31.5
Local SNR Margin(dB) : 13.0 Remote SNR Margin(dB) : 15.0
Up SValue : 8 Down SValue : 4
Up DValue : 2 Down DValue : 4

UpIntrlvd UpFast DownIntrlvd Dow
AS0(kbps): - - 1568 0
AS1(kbps): - - 0 0
LS0(kbps): 448 0 - -
LS1(kbps): 0 0 - -
RValue : 16 0 16 0
(using a Voyager 205 router)

It will sync at 2700-3000 sometimes but then the SNR margin is around 9-9.5.

Caporegime
OP
dirtydog said:
(using a Voyager 205 router)

It will sync at 2700-3000 sometimes but then the SNR margin is around 9-9.5.

Weird, so how come my router is synching at a constant 3.7MB with such awful line stats? :confused:

EDIT - SNR is 3.7 now!

Permabanned
Hmm mine just disconnected, it's that time of the evening again :rolleyes: It will reconnect and disconnect every minute or two, all night now... ho hum. See ya :mad: ;)

Caporegime
OP
dirtydog said:
Hmm mine just disconnected, it's that time of the evening again :rolleyes: It will reconnect and disconnect every minute or two, all night now... ho hum. See ya :mad: ;)

dirtydog I have just been doing some research and as mentioned rpeviously the Thompson speedtouch modems seem to be excellent for holding stability on bad and noisy lines.

Check out the SpeedTouch 546v6 if you don't need wireless, or the SpeedTouch 585 if you do. Goign to try one of these myself due to the comments i've read on ADSL guide, can't hurt can it. :)

Soldato
Richdog said:
dirtydog I have just been doing some research and as mentioned rpeviously the Thompson speedtouch modems seem to be excellent for holding stability on bad and noisy lines.

Check out the SpeedTouch 546v6 if you don't need wireless, or the SpeedTouch 585 if you do. Goign to try one of these myself due to the comments i've read on ADSL guide, can't hurt can it. :)

Let us know how you get on!

btw, what ISP are you with?

Back
Top Bottom