Awful SNR... is this what i'm lumped with?

Permabanned
I've just learned that my Voyager 205 works with the DMT software, enabling me to limit my downstream speed, meaning that I can force a higher SNR margin :) This could be the answer for me - I'll find out tonight if it can stay connected. Currently the SNR is 20 though which is very good :eek:

Soldato
Billion Routers also let you fiddle with Tx Attenuation and something called Coding Gain (which when set to level 7) gives better stability on bad lines. Although the Routers are quite expensive.

I use the 7402VGP (VoIP Wireless Router) and my line Attenuation has improved to 38.5dB downstream which is good enough for 2mb broadband now, but my problem is still the SNR as it should be above 12db (which I read) to stop being disconnected, but mine is only 13db! :(

But checkout the Billion Range as well. :)

Permabanned
Increasing the coding gain doesn't necessarily work - I tried it with a Voyager 105 modem (ugh) and while it increased the SNR margin slightly, there were hundreds of CRC errors to go along with it so it was useless.

Soldato
dirtydog said:
Increasing the coding gain doesn't necessarily work - I tried it with a Voyager 105 modem (ugh) and while it increased the SNR margin slightly, there were hundreds of CRC errors to go along with it so it was useless.

I have noticed an increase in CRC errors too, but I may try and fiddle with the settings some more, there are a lot of options to mess on with. :D

Permabanned
Now that it's getting dark, my SNR has fallen from 20 earlier to 10.5-11 now... but it's enough to stay connected and without errors. I wonder if it'll still be connected when I get up in the morning......

I am grateful to this thread because without it, I would never have searched adslguide's forums and learned about the DMT software :)

edit - 7 hours later and it's still up, no disconnections \o/

Last edited:
Soldato
Deathwish said:
I had a similar situation to you, although I have a BT fitted NTE5. I removed the ring-wire, fitted an XTE-2005 and changed my router to a Speedtouch.

So far i've gone from a really crappy fluctuating SNR to a stable 28dB during the day and 25dB at night.

Speedtouch routers with the Broadcom chipset are good for long, crappy lines. Look for the 516v6. And go here: http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=dslrouter

Lots of infos :)

You can also run the DMT Tool with the Speedtouch routers: http://www.wark19.eclipse.co.uk/dmt.jpg
out of interest, what speed do you get? I have a similar snr

Soldato
Don't Richdog. The Belkin 7633 and the SpeedTouch's use the same chipset, the Broadcom BCM6348 chipsets. You will get virtually the same stats! The reason you are still connected at that low SNR is because of the good chipset.

I only lose sync at about 3.1dB thanks to mine.

Caporegime
OP
smids said:
Don't Richdog. The Belkin 7633 and the SpeedTouch's use the same chipset, the Broadcom BCM6348 chipsets. You will get virtually the same stats! The reason you are still connected at that low SNR is because of the good chipset.

I only lose sync at about 3.1dB thanks to mine.

Ahh really thanks for the heads up mate. There is one problem with this router though... the wireless freezes sometimes, requiring a hard reboot. :(

Soldato
Richdog said:
Ahh really thanks for the heads up mate. There is one problem with this router though... the wireless freezes sometimes, requiring a hard reboot. :(
I get that too - usually when I'm running loads of connections to downloads. Very rare for me, but does happen as you say.

Soldato
Sorry to butt in here but the XTE 2005 is the whole "master" socket replacement or just the filtered faceplate?
Im looking to replace my master socket as its had a fair amount of abuse by previous owners (from the look of it) and if I can go with a new, filtered socket etc that will be very sweet. If not the XTE 2005 what can I use?
Ill be looking at the buffalo setup too. Does anyone know what chipset the X-modem M3 from a popular "all the ADSL gubbins you need" site uses? Im quite keen to have a seperate modem so I can make use of slightly better featured Cable/DSL routers.

Lastly on the "replacing the master socket" bit - I belive its fairly heavilly frowned upon by BT? Anyone clear this point up - id still claim ignorance obviously but be nice to know the full score :)

Soldato
The Master Socket is the demarcation point between your internal wiring which is your responsibiltiy and BT wirings which is theirs.

They don't like you messing around with the Master Socket, infact its illegal to do anything other than run extensions from it. If they find out you have changed it, or fiddled they can cancel your contract.

The XTE-2005 replaces the bottom half of the NTE5, so you dont invalidate your contract, and further extensions always come from the bottom half.

If you dont currently have an NTE5, BT will come and fit a new one for £30.

http://www.wark19.eclipse.co.uk/nte5a.jpg - The small from part is the bit you can change, and its where all extensions are wired from. This is the part the XTE-2005 replaces.

Soldato
It's a filtered faceplate so you need an existing NTE5 to fit it on to.

You can replace the master socket - technically it's easy to do - but yes it is indeed heavily frowned upon by BT. If you were to **** it up and have to get an engineer out they could probably fine you.

With that said, it's easy enough to do. You just probably shouldn't ;)

Soldato
Ok - in that case considering I already have the XTE-5 faceplate fitted (doubted the name of this and cant find in google - its a filtered faceplate with same looks as XTE-2005 but no logo's?), am I likely to see much improvement with the XTE-2005 or we talking same kit? For the sake of a tenner im more than happy to splash out if theres any tangible improvement.
As far as the socket goes - well... will consider options on that - its a rented house so I can just play dumb and blame a previous tennant, might even just check the cabling on the existing master and make sure its all sound.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Can you not try connecting directly to the BT test socket first; I believe that's the way to find out whether a new faceplate would improve things?

Soldato
Think I did that once and didnt really get much in the way of improvments (which is odd I know - hence thinking the NTE5 is a bit on the crappy side). The filtered faceplate I had improved things quite a bit - is the last stage of improving buying a router based on the broadcom chipset then?

Soldato
I already have a facew plate that looks like that was fitted in the late 90's by bt are these xt 2005 things any better? As its only a small amount to pay?

Soldato
Deathwish said:
Well, im currently on a fixed 512 service (Eclipse Flex500) but now my line is sorted i'll be upgrading to MAX, so i'll let you know!

The DMT Tool estimated about 4Meg which would be great :D
im being moved to max on the 1st, so maybe I'll be letting you know first :)

Back
Top Bottom