Awful SNR... is this what i'm lumped with?

Man of Honour
Mercutio said:
How does this work when on an LLU - id pay good money for a new cable tween me and the pole :)

Well the line is BT, the broadband is BE, so i guess so. Pricewise, not a thing did it cost me, if the line isn't of sufficient quality for voice BT have to do something.

As said, it's only the drop cable from the DP but it didn't cost anything and it helped substancially so I'll take what i can get. I haven't managed to get it for me yet but I have once had the offer from BT of replacing the loop to the exchange, we're having serious problems and had been shouting at them for a week or so though, and we were the ISP, so no consumer isever going to get the offer

Permabanned
gord said:
Are voyager 105s generally considered poor for stability etc?

Speaking as someone who went from a Voyager 105 modem to a Voyager 205 router and noticed a huge improvement - yes it is pretty poor. With ADSL you ideally need a modem or router which is always on, is mains powered and uses ethernet rather than the dreaded USB. So the 105 loses on all counts :) It used to give me regular blue stop screens as well - which from googling I gather is very common :eek:

Permabanned
Soldato
These are the stats i get:
DSL Modulation Mode : GDMT
DSL Path Mode : FAST
Downstream Rate : 4320 Kbps
Upstream Rate : 448 Kbps
Downstream Margin : 6 db
Upstream Margin : 19 db
Downstream Line Attenuation : 58
Upstream Line Attenuation : 31
Downstream Transmit Power : 0
Upstream Transmit Power : 0
The downstream occasionally drops to 1db every now and then.
The Microfilters im using are:
1x Excelsus Z-420UK-A
2x Inteq MF-3567-UK

Ive got a spare Excelsus Z-420UK that i got from work that im thinking of using in place of one of the Inteqs.

I'd put one of those master filter things on the main sockets, but by the looks of it, its not gonna be compatible.

Permabanned
dirtydog said:
Out of interest: is it right that the XTE 2005 simply plugs into the BT test socket?

If so, is there any advantage to me getting an XTE 2005, versus simply leaving the standard faceplate off, and connecting via the test socket permanently? :)

bump :o

Does anyone know the answer to this? :)

Caporegime
OP
dirtydog said:
bump :o

Does anyone know the answer to this? :)

Get the filter, it does as you say and plugs directly into the NTE-5, meaning you won't need a filter now no matter which room you want to use for the net. :)

Permabanned
Well put it this way. I live on my own in a flat, and I use the master socket only. It does have an extension connected to it, by a previous tenant, but I don't use it. When I connect to the test socket, I am obviously taking the extension wiring out of the equation. It is no problem for me to use the test socket indefinitely because it is located not far from my PC :)

I'm just wondering if a) is this legal and b) would a fancy ADSL faceplate actually perform better than connecting directly to the test socket, considering I need no extensions. I just have one ordinary corded telephone plugged into a microfilter which came with my Voyager 205.

Caporegime
OP
dirtydog said:
Well put it this way. I live on my own in a flat, and I use the master socket only. It does have an extension connected to it, by a previous tenant, but I don't use it. When I connect to the test socket, I am obviously taking the extension wiring out of the equation. It is no problem for me to use the test socket indefinitely because it is located not far from my PC :)

I'm just wondering if a) is this legal and b) would a fancy ADSL faceplate actually perform better than connecting directly to the test socket, considering I need no extensions. I just have one ordinary corded telephone plugged into a microfilter which came with my Voyager 205.

In that case you don't really need a faceplate I don't think, but it would look tidier wouldn't it?

Permabanned
Richdog said:
In that case you don't really need a faceplate I don't think, but it would look tidier wouldn't it?

Tidy? Who cares about that :eek: :p

Yeah I guess it would a bit, but seeing as I'm a tight barsteward I'm not too bothered about appearance, just performance :) If I could squeeze every bit of performance out of the line at my end, I'm hoping I might be able to get to the dizzy heights of 2Mb in future.

Soldato
The XTE might be a tad better than a standard filter plugged into the test socket due to the fact it's a high quality filter. The difference probably won't be noticeable to be fair but then again it might be - depends on the filter you've got now really.

It's unlikely to make a vast difference though, if your existing filter is of reasonable quality. For the sake of a little over a tenner I'd probably go for it, personally.

Associate
Deathwish said:
The Master Socket is the demarcation point between your internal wiring which is your responsibiltiy and BT wirings which is theirs.

They don't like you messing around with the Master Socket, infact its illegal to do anything other than run extensions from it. If they find out you have changed it, or fiddled they can cancel your contract.

The XTE-2005 replaces the bottom half of the NTE5, so you dont invalidate your contract, and further extensions always come from the bottom half.

If you dont currently have an NTE5, BT will come and fit a new one for £30.

http://www.wark19.eclipse.co.uk/nte5a.jpg - The small from part is the bit you can change, and its where all extensions are wired from. This is the part the XTE-2005 replaces.

The NTES is not standard BT kit anymore. You will have to find a friendly engineer who has ordered some and has one left in his van. No = I did not believe it either.

Permabanned
Phemo said:
The XTE might be a tad better than a standard filter plugged into the test socket due to the fact it's a high quality filter. The difference probably won't be noticeable to be fair but then again it might be - depends on the filter you've got now really.

It's unlikely to make a vast difference though, if your existing filter is of reasonable quality. For the sake of a little over a tenner I'd probably go for it, personally.

I did buy one after all and as I expected it performs no better than plugging the router directly into the test socket :)

The biggest improvement in my line stats has come from positioning the router directly by the master socket and using a short RJ11 cable and a long ethernet cable. Previously I was using a short ethernet cable and a 10m long cheap telephone extension cable. It has both improved my line attenuation by 1dB and my SNR margin.

I am now gonna go back onto MAX and shoot for 2Mb, or failing that 1.5Mb :)

Caporegime
OP
dirtydog said:
The biggest improvement in my line stats has come from positioning the router directly by the master socket and using a short RJ11 cable and a long ethernet cable. Previously I was using a short ethernet cable and a 10m long cheap telephone extension cable. It has both improved my line attenuation by 1dB and my SNR margin.

How much did it improve SNR?

Permabanned
My SNR margin improved by about 2 (I can't be precise because it has always varied - but it tops out at 24 now which is higher than it ever got before), but I think that was because I had an extension connected to the master socket, and by connecting to the test socket (or using the XTE faceplate) I have cut that out of the equation. The XTE has not improved SNR over using the test socket alone of course. It looks prettier though :D As well it should for thirteen squid including postage :p

Back
Top Bottom