Background noise at bedtime

Soldato
A towerfan was deployed in the bedroom during the heatwave and though it was a bit noisy for the first couple of nights it's become really relaxing just to have it there murmuring away even though of course the heatwave has gone now.

It just seems too quiet without it. We live next to a 40mph road and at night there's always one or 2 idiots who rev out their modded hot hatch as they pass. The double glazing does a good job but you still hear the odd loud engine, this used to annoy me but since we've had the fan going it seems to mellow the stark contrast between silence and bursts of car noise.

The little towerfan will probably die before long but I'm seriously considering getting a replacement when it does!

Has anyone else experienced comfort from fan noise since the heatwave finished?

Associate
Oh yes I know it well, if I don’t have a fan noise i can’t sleep anymore which is a pain, to the point I actually have an app on my phone so I can take the fan noise when I am sleeping away.

Soldato
I used to be annoyed until having to deal with bavarian summer where your options are not sleep because of fan noise or not sleep because of heat.

These days i do have a rather obnoxiously loud tower fan that runs on a timer which is handy. Ironically if i'm using it i'll wake up if it stops because i'm quickly overheating.

I think background noise is fine at any level as long as its consistent- like a plane. Its interruptions that'll trigger you (on the off chance its one of those big sabertooth tigers that are such a threat in modern society)

Could be worse, could be cats rather than cars, we had one who figured out if he sat on your face for long enough you'd wake up, usually cursing, and pay attention to him. My current cat's favourite is swandiving off the windowsill onto the bed at 3am.

Associate
I’ve suffered with tinnitus in my left ear for as long as I remember. Probably too much listening to my Sony Walkman when I was young, working in loud nightclubs or maybe an ear infection I dunno.

For the past few years i’ve had a small tower fan going all night in the bedroom just on low setting even in the coldest winter. It just gives off a background noise but the wind is quite soothing also. Went to Ibiza last year and couldn’t sleep without some noise so downloaded a white noise app which then played all night.

I like peace and quiet but not total silence.

Soldato
My wife and I both like sleeping with some background noise. We used to stick a film on to fall asleep to, but I found the light from the TV distracting, so now we listen to BBC R4 or The World Service — god I sound old. :(

Soldato
I go to sleep to the radio (usually talkSPORT or talkRADIO). I used to live above shops in various places, including in Munich with trams running past so it helped me sleep. Now I live in a quiet detached house for some years and the habit hasn't gone away.

Associate
I suffer from tinnitus and I tend to have some low music playing, usually some kind of music that makes me feel very relaxed like Ludovico Einaudi or some "sleep" playlists on Spotify.

Back
Top Bottom