**Baddass' Guide to the 19" TFT Market!**

Man of Honour
OP
ajgoodfellow, sorry to hear the VG910B didn't work out for you. From the specs, it looks like it is probably a TN film panel, and i can't find any references to it being otherwise anywhere on the web. The panel is quite old though, hence the 25ms response time.

If you want to stick with an 19" panel, then for gaming, you are really looking at the 8ms (Hyundai L90D+, Samsung 913N) and 12ms (Viewsonic VX912, LG1980U) models. Performance in games should be fine on both panels tbh, with the 8ms model offering perhaps the best pixel response performance in the 19" market at the moment. The colours on the 8ms panel have been said to be excellent by Tom's Hardware, offering performance almost as good as VA panels. This is perhaps a little hopeful, but colours are said to be good. The problem with the 8ms panel, (and this is where the 12ms is better) is with the viewing angles and movie playback. If you're looking for a solely gaming TFT, then the 8ms woudl be a good choice. If you want a little more versatility, with still a good response time, then the 12ms models might be good. If it were me, i think i would go with a 12ms LG as it just looks so nice :)

hth

Associate
Just ordered my 913N to replace one of my 191T's yesterday. Couldn't resist the bargain at OCUK even though the monitor has been out for 4 months allready.

Preying for no dead pixels and preying it's going to handle Call Of Duty better than the 191T's can. Then I can finally get rid of the behemoth CRT sitting on the desk.

Associate
i've read reviews of the 20" apple widescreen but is it any good the actual panel type, as the response time is quite good 16ms

i can spend to the amount the apple costs but also liking the 19" viewsonic vp191s 8ms version which is much cheaper but slightly smaller

Man of Honour
OP
The Apple 20" WS uses a 16ms S-IPS panel from LG.Philips. Take a look at the review of it over on www.anandtech.com, it might help you decide. Many people have found it fine for gaming, but it is not as fast as the VP191B. If you are a heavy gamer, getting a screen over 19" is a risk really, as it can be quite varied as to whether you are going to be susceptable to ghosting in games. The 19" gamers TFT's are a safer bet, but there are still ppl who are not ok with them. The VP191B is much faster than the Apple though in tests, and is one of the only monitors which actually keeps a response time of below 16ms across all grey transitions. The Apple on the other hand will reach perhaps as high as 25ms on some changes.....

It depends on whether you want the extra size and resolution, or the gaming performance at the cost of the size? money is also a factor here, but if you're looking for a gamers TFT i think the 19" market is the place to look

Associate
thanks for that i read the review on anandtech and couldn't decide on which to buy.

why i'm after a new screen really is that i've just bought a new desk and my tft i have now was a stop gap til i could afford a bigger screen and use that aswell to make it dual screen setup.

i dont really need a widescreen monitor as i dont watch dvds on it

will make a decision on which 19" tft as the viewsonic 4ms one looks like an option but not quite sure on the stand of it but really like the vp191 silver version for the thin bezel

theres just too many to decide on

Soldato
Hi

I'd go for the VP191 8ms personally

The 4ms ViewSonic sacrifices too much in image quality IMO

Check out Baddass' review here: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=3383391&postcount=6

Here's another link with some specs on it: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17421431&highlight=4ms

It's latency reaches 30ms+ for some transitions - the VP191 is far faster accross all transitions. Despite the quoted response times, overall the VP191 is a faster monitor

As it isn't a TN panel you'll get a better quality display too

Permabanned
Is it possible to update the review on the 913N?

That talks of TN Film and im pretty sure its been updated (without a name change helpfully) to use a VA panel now. Obviously i expect this will have a rather large effect on IQ etc.

Man of Honour
OP
divine_madness said:
Is it possible to update the review on the 913N?

That talks of TN Film and im pretty sure its been updated (without a name change helpfully) to use a VA panel now. Obviously i expect this will have a rather large effect on IQ etc.

afaik, the 913N still uses a TN Film panel. It is still listed on Samsung's spec here. where did you hear it had changed to a VA (presumably PVA being samsung) panel?

Associate
Hi all,

I was looking at getting a sony sdm-hs95p/b due to how good it looked etc, but I take it then that for gaming.....it sucks?
If that is the case, what 19" screen that still gives a great pic do I go for??
(I just love the clarity on the xblack screen, but if its bad for games like BF2 I will take your advice)

Cheers

Man of Honour
OP
The HS95P isn't really very good for gaming sadly. The HS75P is however, so if you like the X Black screens, and the styling then that might be a better choice. In the 19" market, models like the Samsung 913N and Viewsonic VP191B are excellent, depending on what you want to pay really. If you were looking at the Sony, then i'm guessing you have a bit to spend, and the VP191B would be ideal. It's using pretty much the best all round panel in the market right now, it would be a good choice :)

Associate
Thanks for that Baddass,
I was so wanting you to say go for it, but I however value expert opinions. I will look at the other 19" screens you suggested. I have a 17" crt at the mo and just wanted to upgrade to bigger and better, so will not go with the HS75P due to wanting that extra couple of "s
Are there any other screens with the xblack set up as it just looks so crisp and clean, or will I have to basically stay with the matt finish for a 19".
Many Thanks

Bodger

Man of Honour
OP
well i dont want to recommend a screen if i don't think it will be suited to your needs, and i really dont think the HS95P would do you justice. The NEC 1970GX uses Sony ClearView technology which is pretty much the same thing as X Black, and so that's a glossy fronted screen. There is also the Xerox XA7-192i which SHOULD feature the same excellent panel as the Viewsonic VP191B, but at the moment there is some confusion over the panel used (have a read of the other threads around about it at the moment). The Xerox has a glass front and so might be worth a look.

The NEC 1970GX is covered here so might be worth a look.

Associate
Ok,
So I have checked out all these glossy style panels and they all have their own problems don't they !!
I will probably have to go for a screen that gives me as good contrast as poss mixed in with an excellent ms rate.
I am so stuck now you have opened my eyes to the problems out there....I will continue to soldier on and keep an eye on these posts, until my perfect glossy screen,fast response monitor decides to rise its beautiful head. Guys.....please bear me in mind when this happens and I will be the first to buy.
Many Thanks again

Bodger

Associate
Ok,
So I think I have narrowed down my search, thanks to hours of reading these forums.
My main requirement is for games...it has to handle fast gaming, then internet along with photos,picture editing. I have a big screen tv so will not use it for movies.Mainly GAMING.
Ok My list is:
Samsung 913
Samsung 930
Xerox XA7-192i
Viewsonic 924

I have decided against sony as you all seem to hate them, and the above list seems to be the best of the ones available.
Now just have to decide which one,get a good price and bite the bullet.
Cheers to you all.

Bodger

Back
Top Bottom